Looking for online classes for the MCSA track

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Redluck, Jun 5, 2006.

  1. Redluck

    Redluck Guest

    I have 2 1/2 years of "IT" experience mostly as a computer technician.
    Fixing every problem that comes along with Windows 2003 workstations as well
    as some Windows 2003 and 2000 server experience.

    So I'd say I have a small amount of server network experience and a lot of
    hardware and workstation experience. My company is asking me to step up and
    get a Network + and A+ certification on the way toward an MCSA. I will be
    training with our current network technician for the next 2 months before he
    leaves the company. He is not certified, but he has 2 years of experience.

    I am looking for reliable online courses to prepare for the Network + and
    A+, and to work toward the MCSA tests (planning on 70-290 and 70-291 as core
    classes and 70-270 as the elective). Does know of good online sites?

    Also, are the bundled packages worth pursuing? There are a lot of websites
    such as CBTNuggets.com that offer all their archived classes for very
    reasonable prices, but there is no live instruction, just recordings of them
    going over all of the material.

    thanks in advance.

    Redluck, Jun 5, 2006

  2. I am not speaking from experience, but one of the guys in my office uses
    NetG for pretty much anything he needs to "learn". He is mostly Cisco Voice
    specialized though. He says its his 2nd choice to Global Knowledge, which
    is instructor-led. I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money, so I
    used a combination of MSPress books and CBTNuggets, along with some test
    virtual machines.

    --
    Mostly Gizzards

    A+ Network+ MCSA

    Mostly Gizzards, Jun 5, 2006

  3. Redluck

    Redluck Guest

    Thanks for the response. I'm glad to see someone found CBTNuggets useful.
    It seems to be a less expensive option.

    Redluck, Jun 5, 2006
  4. Redluck

    Garth H Guest

    Believe it or not, the Transcenders eLearning stuff is actually pretty
    good. (I used to be the sysadmin for an education dept, so I've had
    first hand experience with good online courses and the not so good.) If
    you get the package of eLearning and Prep tests, it's actually a pretty
    good deal.

    I think they provide a good method of exposing one to they why and how
    of the various exam objectives. It's a good way to see how things are
    done so you aren't completely lost in the real workstation or server
    environment.

    That said, they are expensive.

    --
    Garth H

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Macromedia Certified Developer

    Garth H, Jun 5, 2006
  5. I've wondered about the Transcender eLearning. I've only used their
    practice tests and, while expensive, they were top-notch.

    --
    Mostly Gizzards

    A+ Network+ MCSA

    Mostly Gizzards, Jun 5, 2006
  6. Redluck

    Garth H Guest

    Yeah, it's "okay" and isn't an end all do all. Just like every other
    approach people have published here, it is just one of the many things
    you may use to get ready for an exam. It's not for everyone though.

    Garth H, Jun 7, 2006