    install on a server, and let the server fulfill it's role as a server
    without having a user logged onto the machine.

    Thank you.
    Roy Avery, Apr 24, 2007

  2. Hi
    Win 2000 does not have a native Wireless capability, so it is up to the
    utility provided by the Card's manufacturer to provide auto connection.
    Contact Linksys support may be that have a solution (or upgrade to Win XP).
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 24, 2007

  3. Roy Avery

    Roy Avery Guest

    Thank you Jack.

    Yes, I understand W2K does not have native wireless capability like XP does.
    I'm looking for a manufacturer who's NIC software is capable of running as a
    service. I was on the phone with Linksys tech support for over two hours
    trying to get up to Level 2, and to hopefully talk to somebody who knows as
    much as a 4th grader. It was very difficult. Level 2 finally said they
    would try and duplicate the problems I was having, and they did call me back
    today. Apparently, there software is not mean to run in the background as a
    Service. A user must be logged in at all times. It sounds like Linksys is
    not the product for me.

    Obviously Linksys is not the only player in the home owner class of wireless
    products. Is anybody aware of a manufacturer who's software can run in the
    background? I would like to have an established network connection even
    though the machine is only at the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen.

    Thank you.

    Roy Avery, Apr 25, 2007
  4. Roy Avery <roymtbkr@nospam_rocketmail.com> wrote:

    <snip>

    > Is anybody aware of a manufacturer who's software can run in the
    > background? I would like to have an established network connection even
    > though the machine is only at the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen.

    Leave the wireless network un-secured and almost any wireless client
    under W2K SP4 will log on to the network before the user has launched
    the client, although to my knowledge not before the user has activated
    the account (with Ctrl-Alt-Del).
    Axel Hammerschmidt, Apr 25, 2007
  5. Roy Avery

    Jim Guest

    >I picked up a Linksys WMP54G yesterday and installed it on a W2K Pro SP4
    > machine. Unfortunately, I found out a user needs to be logged on in order
    > for the NIC to connect to the AP. Is there a NIC out there where the
    > software runs as a Service, allowing the machine to connected to the
    > network
    > without having to be logged on.
    >
    > Basically, I'm looking to have a wireless network, but have it act like
    > it's
    > wired. Not that I'd do it, but basically I'd like a NIC that I could
    > install on a server, and let the server fulfill it's role as a server
    > without having a user logged onto the machine.
    >
    > Thank you.

    My laptop has an internal Intel adapter. Intel's software hus such a
    feature. Perhaps, if Intel makes a PCI or USB adapter, the software for it
    would allow your wish.

    I haven't enabled this action because I finally decided that I don't want or
    need the feature.

    Jim
    Jim, Apr 25, 2007
  6. Roy Avery

    Roy Avery Guest

    Unsecured? Nope, that's not going to happen. Yes, I realize if somebody
    really, really wants into the network, they're going to get in, but I'm not
    going to have an open invitation for outsiders to see my machine names, and
    then get an idea to try and hack into them and get personal information.

    Still, your solution suggests the user will have to log in. I don't want
    this either. This is going to be a machine that the kids will be using. I
    want the ability to be able to access files on the computer, without a user
    needing to be logged in the local machine, just like on a wired networked
    computer.

    For as long as wireless has been around, I'm very surprised this isn't how
    all NIC's are already.

    Roy Avery, Apr 25, 2007
  7. Roy Avery <roymtbkr@nospam_rocketmail.com> wrote:

    <snip>

    > Still, your solution suggests the user will have to log in. I don't want
    > this either. This is going to be a machine that the kids will be using. I
    > want the ability to be able to access files on the computer, without a user
    > needing to be logged in the local machine, just like on a wired networked
    > computer.

    Can you "access files on the computer,without a user needing to be
    logged in the local machine" on a wired network?

    That's interesting. I've tried Googling. Can you provide a link?
    Axel Hammerschmidt, Apr 25, 2007
  8. Roy Avery

    Roy Avery Guest

    Yes you can. I don't need a link or a google search. I was the only person
    working in the IT Dept of a four office law firm with 100+ workstations and
    5 servers. As long as the machine is on, I could check out any file on any
    computer or any server in the entire firm from the comforts of my desk. I
    want to be able to do the same thing in our home, but in a wireless
    environment. I have practically zero experience in wireless networks. It
    was like pulling teeth to get money for IT upgrades, so wireless was
    completely out of the question.

    Any ideas?

    Roy Avery, Apr 25, 2007
  9. Roy Avery

    Pavel A. Guest

    You need a client software that will auto-connect (authenticate, login etc.)
    to the wireless network and works with win2k.
    Obviously, Linksys doesn't bundle such software with their adapters, but
    their support may be able to recommend you something.

    For the future, you may be interested in the Intel Active Management Technology.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Apr 27, 2007
  10. Roy Avery <roymtbkr@nospam_rocketmail.com> wrote:

    > "Axel Hammerschmidt" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Roy Avery <roymtbkr@nospam_rocketmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > > Still, your solution suggests the user will have to log in. I don't
    > > > want this either. This is going to be a machine that the kids will be
    > > > using. I want the ability to be able to access files on the computer,
    > > > without a user needing to be logged in the local machine, just like on
    > > > a wired networked computer.

    > > Can you "access files on the computer,without a user needing to be
    > > logged in the local machine" on a wired network?
    > >
    > > That's interesting. I've tried Googling. Can you provide a link?

    > Yes you can. I don't need a link or a google search. I was the only person
    > working in the IT Dept of a four office law firm with 100+ workstations and
    > 5 servers. As long as the machine is on, I could check out any file on any
    > computer or any server in the entire firm from the comforts of my desk. I
    > want to be able to do the same thing in our home, but in a wireless
    > environment. I have practically zero experience in wireless networks. It
    > was like pulling teeth to get money for IT upgrades, so wireless was
    > completely out of the question.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Run a windows domain.
    Axel Hammerschmidt, Apr 28, 2007
  11. Roy Avery

    Roy Avery Guest

    Axel. The Linksys product referenced, REQUIRES the user to be logged on in
    order for the network to be established between the desktop and the Windows
    domain, worgroup, you name it.

    Roy Avery, Apr 30, 2007
  12. Roy Avery

    Roy Avery Guest

    Thanks PA. Unfortunately, their support is completely inept. Trying to get
    from Tier 1 to Tier 2 is insane. "Do you have another machine you can test
    the product out on?" Seriously, the Cisco name on the outside of the
    Linksys box is a complete joke. Frustrating.

    Roy

    Roy Avery, Apr 30, 2007
  13. Roy Avery

    Roy Avery Guest

    Let me correct my statement. It is the WLAN Monitor software that REQUIRES
    the user to be logged on. I'm not sure why Linksys does not have a utility
    for W2K computers that can be run as a Service.

    Roy Avery, Apr 30, 2007
  14. Roy Avery

    Roy Avery Guest

    I apologize. It's not the NIC that is the problem, but the WLAN Monitor
    software that is necessary for a Windows 2000 machine. Since the machine
    does not have Windows XP installed, I am stuck with the utility software
    offered by the NIC manufacturer. That is, unless there is a 3rd party
    software or a Microsoft package. Suggestions?

    Roy Avery, Apr 30, 2007
  15. Roy Avery

    Roy Avery Guest

    Jack.

    Are you aware of any manufacturers who's software can be run as a "Service".
    Linksys' WLAN Monitor software requires a user to be logged on to the
    machine in order for the software to run. This means I would not be able to
    access files on the wireless machine without having a user logged on. I
    simply want to be able to do the usual \\machinename\sharename thing to
    access files on the wireless computer, WITHOUT having to have a user logged
    onto the wireless computer. Why is this so difficult for Linksys to
    comprehend? Their tech support pretty much knows jack squat about
    networking.

    Anyway, like I asked, are you aware of any other companies where this is
    possible, on a W2K machine? Netgear, Belkin, etc.?

    Thank you.

    Roy

    Roy Avery, Apr 30, 2007
  16. Roy Avery

    Roy Avery Guest

    I sent the following email to .

    Hello.

    I am setting up a machine running Windows 2000 Pro w/ SP4. This machine's
    role will primarily be used for my children to be able to access the
    internet. Other than my laptop, it is the only machine that will be
    connected to the network wirelessly. I already have a WAP54G on the
    network. This fact, and the fact I am pleased with the Cisco name on the
    outside of the Linksys box, is the reason I picked up a WMP54G.
    Unfortunately, I am no longer pleased.

    a.. Problem 1 - WLAN Monitor is not capable of being run as a "Service".
    The wireless machine is forced to have a user logged on at all times in
    order for the WLAN Monitor software to be running. As the "IT Manager" of
    my household, I wish to be able to access files on the computer using
    standard UNC methods, \\machinename\sharename. With a wired machine, the
    machine only need to be turned on in order for one to access files on the
    machine from a remote computer. On the other hand, with a wireless machine
    using Linksys' NIC and WLAN Monitor software, a user must also be logged on
    to the machine. This is not convenient when out of the home, and I wish to
    remotely access the network to copy or download a file on the wireless
    machine. I'd like to suggest that you make changes to the WLAN Monitor
    software so that it can be run as a "Service". This would allow the
    wireless machine to be always be connected to the network like a wired
    machine, except without the wires. It makes it much easier for remote
    administration of the machine, accessing files of the machine, automatic
    downloads from "Microsoft Windows Update", etc.
    b.. Problem 2 - WLAN Monitor software can only be used by users with
    administrative rights. My WAP54G is configured for WPA - PSK and the SSID
    is not being broadcast. I tried creating a profile for username "kids", but
    was told the user needs administrative rights. I then granted
    administrative rights to "kids". I created the wireless profile. It tested
    out fine. I demoted "kids" back down to a standard user. Now the profile
    is no longer there. With this fact, and along with what I've been told by
    Linksys Live Chat Support, I have come to the conclusion that user's of the
    WLAN Monitor software must have administrative rights to the computer. In
    my opinion, this is not a good practice. Administrative rights are not to
    be taken lightly. I have found it difficult to cripple a machine with a
    virus when the user does not have administrative rights. I have found it
    difficult to cripple a machine by installing internet downloaded programs
    when the user does not have administrative rights. If Linksys' objective is
    to market their product to the SOHO crowd, why would Linksys require a user
    to have administrative rights to the machine? As the owner of my own small
    company, my goal is to maintain productivity from my employees. If their
    machine is down due to them installing a program, or due to a virus, then
    that employee is now costing me money instead of making me money. If I do
    not grant them adminstrative rights, then the chances of them crippling
    their machine are far reduced. Can I please suggest that you create a work
    around for administrators to create profiles for standard users, so that a
    standard user can still access the network?
    I must admit, I wasn't expecting to find these limitations in the Linksys
    product. In fact, I'm actually a bit angry that Linksys would take this
    "easy road". At the very least, I am extremely frustrated. To be blunt, I
    find the Linksys' engineering to be extremely lazy. It is far easier to
    create software that only runs on the desktop, as opposed to as a "Service".
    It is far easier to create software where the user must have administrative
    rights. I am hoping that you take my suggestions seriously and come up with
    a solution. I am certain I am not the only person who wishes to make their
    lives easier by incorporating security measures in their network.

    Thank you.

    Roy Avery

    Roy Avery, Apr 30, 2007
  17. Roy Avery

    Roy Avery Guest

    Wow, that didn't format well did it? Here it is again.

    Roy Avery, Apr 30, 2007