    one. Nice.

    Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

    Roy

    Roy Avery, May 10, 2007

  2. Hi
    If the network is functional before Log On then what is the point of Log On.
    Windows 2000 is not as flexible as Windows XP.
    You have to use the original manufacturer utility as is or write you own.
    I think that Boingo has free utility that works with Win2000 too.
    http://www.boingo.com/download.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 12, 2007

  3. Roy Avery

    Roy Avery Guest

    > If the network is functional before Log On then what is the point of Log
    On.
    > Windows 2000 is not as flexible as Windows XP.

    Jack, I'm sure you already know the answer to this, so I'm wondering why you
    even asked in the first place? Logging on and a having a functional network
    are not the same. Logging on authenticates the user, depending on network
    design, to either the local machine or to the domain, or even to both. A
    functional network just allows the machine to talk to the network. What you
    do with the machine that is connected to the network is up to the "net
    admin". Whether it be to push updates from a server, or to back up files
    using xcopy or a fancy program, you shouldn't have to have a user logged
    onto the machine in order for these procedures to take place. It would be
    rather difficult to pcAnywhere to a machine connected to a network
    wirelessly, if the machine did not have a user logged on at the time,
    wouldn't it?

    The NIC software engineers are taking the lazy way out by not building that
    functionality into the software. What are we, a bunch of 80 year olds who
    just bought our computer from Circuit City yesterday? That's how I felt
    about the Linksys software, and I am hoping that D-Link or Netgear or even
    Belkin has something that will work the way I want. Does anybody know if
    they do?

    Roy

    Roy Avery, May 13, 2007