looking for new slide (and film) scanner

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Kris, May 17, 2004.

  1. Kris

    Kris Guest

    Hi,

    I've been using the HP S20 slide and film scanner for the past couple of
    years.
    Because bulk scanning of slides is now standard even for (cheap) flatbed
    scanners and because the quality is probably better than with my old S20,
    I'm thinking about finally buying a new film&slide scanner.

    What I want to do with it? Scan slides and negatives for playing around in
    Photoshop, putting them on the web and maybe making a A4/legal size print
    out of it.

    I'm not a pro so it the price must be reasonable. I'm thinking 400,- USD
    (or 330 EUR) tops!

    - Should I buy a dedicated slide & film scanner or will a flatbed do just
    fine? (I'd like to have quality at least a little better than the HP S20
    scanner)
    - I really would like bulk or batch scanning! (The S20 could only scan 1
    slide at the time) :)

    Any advice on what model I should buy? Other tips? Experiences?

    Thanks!!
    Kris
    Kris, May 17, 2004

  2. I am now using a Minolta Scan Dimage Dual 1V. Suberb, (euro 350, in US maybe
    cheaper), much better then any flatbed.
    Pieter

    Pieter Haartsen, May 17, 2004

  3. I am now using a Minolta Scan Dimage Dual 1V. Suberb, (euro 350, in US maybe

    Pieter Haartsen, May 17, 2004
  4. Kris

    Kris Guest

    Does it support batch (or 'bulk') scanning ?

    Kris, May 17, 2004
  5. I have been very happy with my Epson 3200 photo scanner. Since film and
    slides are just a minor activity compared to flat sheet scanning I didn't
    need a dedicated film scanner...but it's up to the task when I need it.
    Reports are that it is almost as good as a dedicated film scanner...and that
    means that to most eyes you can't tell the difference. And I think its been
    replaced by now with an even better model.

    Gene Palmiter, May 17, 2004
  6. Kris

    Wayne Power Guest

    "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    > I have been very happy with my Epson 3200 photo scanner. Since film and
    > slides are just a minor activity compared to flat sheet scanning I didn't
    > need a dedicated film scanner...but it's up to the task when I need it.
    > Reports are that it is almost as good as a dedicated film scanner...and

    that
    > means that to most eyes you can't tell the difference. And I think its

    been
    > replaced by now with an even better model.
    >
    > "Pieter Haartsen" <> wrote in message

    That better model is the Epson Perfection 4870 and is reviewed here:

    http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson 4870/page_1.htm

    Wayne
    Wayne Power, May 18, 2004
  7. Kris

    Kris Guest

    Kris, May 18, 2004
  8. Kris

    gsum Guest

    It is almost as good. I've done a direct comparison with a Minolta
    MF film scanner costing 8 times as much as the 3200 and the
    difference is marginal. The Minolta extracted slightly more
    information and had a bit if extra dynamic range. The 3200 is
    bargain of the year.

    Graham

    gsum, May 18, 2004
  9. "Kris" <> wrote:

    > > http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson 4870/page_1.htm

    > That review convinced me. All I needed to know :)
    > It's definitely going to be the Epson 4870.

    Look at this page first.

    http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~longnose/scanner_test.html

    "Like all flatbed scanners, the Epson doesn't come anywhere close to the
    stated resolution."

    It's clear that it's one step down from a 2700 dpi dedicated film scanner.
    (Sorry to be a wet blanket here, but I was disappointed with the 2450 for
    medium format.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, May 18, 2004
  10. Kris

    Janos Bauer Guest

    At least in my country you can buy a Minolta Scan Dual IV for this money...

    /Jancsika

    Janos Bauer, May 18, 2004
  11. "gsum" <> wrote in message
    > It is almost as good. I've done a direct comparison with a Minolta
    > MF film scanner costing 8 times as much as the 3200 and the
    > difference is marginal. The Minolta extracted slightly more
    > information and had a bit if extra dynamic range. The 3200 is
    > bargain of the year.

    I'm surprised to hear that. I had the opposite experience with the 2450 vs.
    the Nikon 8000: the Nikon 8000 killed the 2450. Night and day. Heck, Kodak
    ProphotoCD 1800 dpi scans killed the 2450.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, May 18, 2004
  12. Kris

    gsum Guest

    No doubt the Nikon 8000 will be better but the original poster
    only mentioned A4 and the Epson will do that from 35mm with ease.

    I have produced 24x18 inch prints from 6x4.5cm slides using the 3200
    and find that thay have the required resolution. The limiting factors
    are film grain plus the lack of dynamic range of the 3200. The 3200
    struggles with very contrasty or over-saturated slides but this can be
    overcome by layering multiple scans in Photoshop if necessary.

    I'm not trying to claim that the 3200 is perfect but it is very good for
    the money if its limitations are acceptable.

    Graham

    gsum, May 18, 2004
  13. Kris

    Guest

    David J. Littleboy <> wrote:

    > "gsum" <> wrote in message
    >> It is almost as good. I've done a direct comparison with a Minolta
    >> MF film scanner costing 8 times as much as the 3200 and the
    >> difference is marginal. The Minolta extracted slightly more
    >> information and had a bit if extra dynamic range. The 3200 is
    >> bargain of the year.

    > I'm surprised to hear that. I had the opposite experience with the 2450 vs.
    > the Nikon 8000: the Nikon 8000 killed the 2450. Night and day.

    I agree. I had exactly the same experience with the Epson 3200 versus
    the Nikon 8000. The Nikon 8000 is vastly better.

    Andrew.
    , May 19, 2004