Looking for new printer - need suggestions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rudy Benner, Aug 28, 2005.

  1. Rudy Benner

    Rudy Benner Guest

    I am not happy with my current dot matrix printer, lets face it, it sucks
    when it comes to photos.

    I am open to suggestions on good value, capable of doing a reasonably good
    job on photos, not too expensive ink replacement. Other features like built
    in scanner a plus.

    For really serious photo printing or large format, I will go to the local
    professionals.

    --
    Rudy Benner

    "...The people can always be brought to the bidding of the
    leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being
    attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and
    exposing the country to greater danger "

    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

    Rudy Benner, Aug 28, 2005

  2. Rudy Benner

    Marvin Guest

    Rudy Benner wrote:
    > I am not happy with my current dot matrix printer, lets face it, it sucks
    > when it comes to photos.
    >
    > I am open to suggestions on good value, capable of doing a reasonably good
    > job on photos, not too expensive ink replacement. Other features like built
    > in scanner a plus.
    >
    > For really serious photo printing or large format, I will go to the local
    > professionals.

    I prefer HP printers for general use, inluding photos. I recently replaced an old DeskJet
    with an HP officejet 4215xi, which I got at Costco for $89.99. It is a printer, sheet
    scanner, and fax. I don't have a separate fax line, but this unit listens to my answering
    machine, and cuts in if it hears the distinctive signal of a fax machine.

    Marvin, Aug 29, 2005

  3. Rudy Benner

    pixby Guest

    Marvin wrote:
    > Rudy Benner wrote:
    >
    >> I am not happy with my current dot matrix printer, lets face it, it
    >> sucks when it comes to photos.
    >>
    >> I am open to suggestions on good value, capable of doing a reasonably
    >> good job on photos, not too expensive ink replacement. Other features
    >> like built in scanner a plus.
    >>
    >> For really serious photo printing or large format, I will go to the
    >> local professionals.
    >>

    > I prefer HP printers for general use, inluding photos. I recently
    > replaced an old DeskJet with an HP officejet 4215xi, which I got at
    > Costco for $89.99. It is a printer, sheet scanner, and fax. I don't
    > have a separate fax line, but this unit listens to my answering machine,
    > and cuts in if it hears the distinctive signal of a fax machine.

    Without doubt the cheapest inkjets to run are Canon - sadly they also
    make prints with the shortest life!

    Without doubt the finest quality, longest life prints come from an Epson
    printer. Sadly these cost a lot to run!

    Somewhere between these two extremes are HP and Lexmark. Make your
    choice, pay your money and the world continues to revolve!

    --
    Douglas,
    You never really make it on the 'net

    pixby, Aug 29, 2005
  4. Rudy Benner

    frederick Guest

    pixby wrote:
    > Marvin wrote:
    >
    >> Rudy Benner wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am not happy with my current dot matrix printer, lets face it, it
    >>> sucks when it comes to photos.
    >>>
    >>> I am open to suggestions on good value, capable of doing a reasonably
    >>> good job on photos, not too expensive ink replacement. Other features
    >>> like built in scanner a plus.
    >>>
    >>> For really serious photo printing or large format, I will go to the
    >>> local professionals.
    >>>

    >> I prefer HP printers for general use, inluding photos. I recently
    >> replaced an old DeskJet with an HP officejet 4215xi, which I got at
    >> Costco for $89.99. It is a printer, sheet scanner, and fax. I don't
    >> have a separate fax line, but this unit listens to my answering
    >> machine, and cuts in if it hears the distinctive signal of a fax machine.

    > Without doubt the cheapest inkjets to run are Canon - sadly they also
    > make prints with the shortest life!
    >
    > Without doubt the finest quality, longest life prints come from an Epson
    > printer. Sadly these cost a lot to run!
    >
    > Somewhere between these two extremes are HP and Lexmark. Make your
    > choice, pay your money and the world continues to revolve!

    Lexmark is usually left out comparisons for quality reasons.
    HP is normally the most expensive for consumables by quite a margin.
    They had the opportunity to address this with their new 8250 model that
    has separate ink tanks and heads, but chose instead to install photo
    cartridges that contain as little as 3.5 ml (2/3 teaspoon) of ink.

    frederick, Aug 30, 2005
  5. Rudy Benner

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "pixby" <> wrote in message
    > Marvin wrote:
    >> Rudy Benner wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am not happy with my current dot matrix printer, lets face it, it
    >>> sucks when it comes to photos.
    >>>
    >>> I am open to suggestions on good value, capable of doing a reasonably
    >>> good job on photos, not too expensive ink replacement. Other features
    >>> like built in scanner a plus.
    >>>
    >>> For really serious photo printing or large format, I will go to the
    >>> local professionals.
    >>>

    >> I prefer HP printers for general use, inluding photos. I recently
    >> replaced an old DeskJet with an HP officejet 4215xi, which I got at
    >> Costco for $89.99. It is a printer, sheet scanner, and fax. I don't have
    >> a separate fax line, but this unit listens to my answering machine, and
    >> cuts in if it hears the distinctive signal of a fax machine.

    > Without doubt the cheapest inkjets to run are Canon - sadly they also make
    > prints with the shortest life!
    >
    > Without doubt the finest quality, longest life prints come from an Epson
    > printer. Sadly these cost a lot to run!
    >
    > Somewhere between these two extremes are HP and Lexmark. Make your choice,
    > pay your money and the world continues to revolve!
    >
    > --
    > Douglas,
    > You never really make it on the 'net
    > until you get your own personal Troll.
    > Mine's called Chrlz. Don't feed him, he bites!

    I settled for the Epson RX620. Does well even on plain paper.

    Thanks for all the good advice.

    R.

    Rudy Benner, Aug 31, 2005