  1. I'm looking for a good digital camera for under $400.00 for my wife for
    mothers days, but have no idea of brands I see alot of talk about the cannon
    EOS, any recommendations? Thanks.

    Richard Rhoden, May 3, 2005

  2. Richard Rhoden

    Guest

    First digital? Go to ebay. 3mp ~ $100.
    Play with it, then go spend your bucks.
    Just a suggestion.

    , May 3, 2005

  3. Richard Rhoden

    peter Guest

    If you have no idea, then use the reviews at www.dpreview.com or use
    consumer reports. I would suggest you stick with middle-of the road on most
    things. E.g. don't go for a super zoom or super small (unless your wife
    refuse to carry a compact size camera) or super expensive or super cheap
    one. Pick a compact size cameras in the $200 to $300 price range, with 3MP
    to 6MP (more than 6MP is not necessarily better due to other limitations).

    Costco seems to have a good return policy (but double check that for digital
    cameras). This would be a good insurace. Plus, costco usually carry decent
    quality items.

    To give you some perspective, when I pick a compact camera, I evalute it
    based on
    size of image sensor (I prefer 1/1.8" or larger)
    quick to turn on and ready for shooting
    resolution (I prefer 4 to 6MP)
    zoom range, especially the wide end (I like wider than 35mm equivalent)
    aperture at the telephoto end (the smaller value (means larger aperture) the
    better e.g f3.0)
    type of battery used (I prefer AA over proprietary, that rules out super
    compact cameras)
    price (within reasonable range; which rules out leica or other exotic
    cameras)
    availability of manual mode
    type of memory card (I prefer CF, that also rules out most super compact
    cameras)
    ratings from dpreview.com and other web sites

    Other people would have different sets of criterias. For example, I'm pretty
    happy with my recent purchase of a fujifilm E330 (satisfies many but not all
    of my criterias), but one of my friend thinks it's too bulky.

    EOS refers to Canon's digital SLRs. They cost > $600 and makes great photos
    but are very big.

    -peter

    peter, May 3, 2005
  4. Richard Rhoden

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Richard Rhoden" <> writes:
    > I'm looking for a good digital camera for under $400.00 for my wife
    > for mothers days, but have no idea of brands I see alot of talk
    > about the cannon EOS, any recommendations? Thanks.

    The EOS digital rebel is a great choice but with a lens starts around
    $800 or so, and it's better suited for more advanced shooters.

    I suggest the Canon A510, which is compact and low-fuss, 3MP, and
    around $200. It's not the smallest camera in its class but it has the
    good feature of running on ordinary AA cells (rechargeables preferred
    but it can use alkalines). This is much nicer than the tiny cameras
    that use special lithium ion cells, since if you forget to charge them
    up, you can't take pictures til you find the charger etc.

    There's also an A520 which is similar except 4MP and costs more. I
    wouldn't pay any extra for that, since the actual CCD size is the
    same. It's like selling you a 14 inch pizza cut into six slices or
    eight, and pretending you're getting more with the 8-slice version so
    they can charge you extra for it.

    Paul Rubin, May 3, 2005
  5. "Richard Rhoden" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a good digital camera for under $400.00 for my wife for
    > mothers days, but have no idea of brands I see alot of talk about the
    > cannon EOS, any recommendations? Thanks.

    Most gals like small and light and easy to use cameras. Keep that in mind
    as you work towards a choice. Don't get caught up in the megapixel race, by
    the way. Stick to the big brands and handle them at Circuit City, Best Buy,
    Ritz, Costco and so on.

    Charles Schuler, May 3, 2005