looking for mozilla web browser features

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by slots, Mar 13, 2005.

  1. slots

    slots Guest

    I downloaded mozilla the other day, the main attraction was the tab browsing
    as ie does not have this. So far I have been fairly pleased with it but I
    have already found inadequacies like not been able to delete favorites from
    the favorites menu like you can in ie with a right mouse click, not having
    this is tedious but the tab browsing is worth it. Anyhow what I would like
    to know is if there is the following very useful feature in mozilla,
    (Another great feature of Opera is the ability to save the session you are
    working on. For instance, if you are researching a health issue and have
    five pages open, you simply click on Tools, then Preferences. Choose
    "Continue from last time" and close Opera. Next time you open Opera, you
    will be right where you left off. I keep this as my default setting so I don
    't even have to click on Tools or Preferences. Opera knows that I want to
    start each session showing all the Web pages that I was using in my last
    session.)
    I don't know if firefox had this feature but I was wary of trying firefox as
    I don't want to muck around with immature software.
    I am very please with the newsgroup reader that comes with mozilla as so far
    it does not have the very slow startup that outlook express has when you
    click on the newsgroup section.

    I had to post using outlook express though as I don't want to set my email
    up on mozilla yet because mozilla does not offer the option of exporting
    messages to outlook express which is a major putoff as I don't want to be
    locked into mozilla. I am presuming I have to set my email up as I could not
    find any obvious way that would allow me to post with the mozilla
    newsreader, it keeps coming up with the error that it can't connect to the
    server and all my server settings are correct I think. The smtp setting has
    a username and pasword option but only allows for the username, I presume it
    gets the password from the email account, I supose I could trying setting up
    an email account that has a false pop3 server address just so maybe I can
    get the smtp to work in the newsgroups. Well what a wasste of my time that
    was, it was bloody clearnet and their useless newsgroup service again that
    was causing the problem as I found out when I tried to use outlook express,
    it would have to be murphies law that this happened when I was trying to
    post from mozilla for the first time which made me suspect my new software.
    So I am posting this from an alternative newsserver.

    slots, Mar 13, 2005

  2. slots

    -=rjh=- Guest

    slots wrote:
    > I downloaded mozilla the other day, the main attraction was the tab browsing
    > as ie does not have this. So far I have been fairly pleased with it but I
    > have already found inadequacies like not been able to delete favorites from
    > the favorites menu like you can in ie with a right mouse click, not having
    > this is tedious but the tab browsing is worth it.

    Firefox has this. Didn't know Mozilla disn't. I'm amazed that it doesn't
    (just checked).

    Tabless browsing <shudder> yuk.

    Anyhow what I would like
    > to know is if there is the following very useful feature in mozilla,
    > (Another great feature of Opera is the ability to save the session you are
    > working on. For instance, if you are researching a health issue and have
    > five pages open, you simply click on Tools, then Preferences. Choose
    > "Continue from last time" and close Opera. Next time you open Opera, you
    > will be right where you left off. I keep this as my default setting so I don
    > 't even have to click on Tools or Preferences. Opera knows that I want to
    > start each session showing all the Web pages that I was using in my last
    > session.)
    > I don't know if firefox had this feature but I was wary of trying firefox as
    > I don't want to muck around with immature software.

    Firefox doesn't have it - closest AFAIK is being able to set your
    homepage to the current group of pages, or being able to set up a
    Personal Toolbar Folder folder with all your relevant pages in it, then
    open the folder as a set of tabs "Open in Tabs". Mozilla doesn't have
    these options. I find it more useful than the Opera option, as you can
    save multiple groups of pages, depending what you are working on, and I
    bookmark stuff as a matter of course these days.

    And no way is Firefox immature. It even has security issues these days.
    I'd say it is more mature than Mozilla. On my systems it works pretty
    well 100%, but I do have to shut it down every couple of weeks due to
    memory leaks.

    -=rjh=-, Mar 13, 2005

  3. slots

    slots Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > slots wrote:
    >
    >> I downloaded mozilla the other day, the main attraction was the tab
    >> browsing
    >> as ie does not have this. So far I have been fairly pleased with it but I
    >> have already found inadequacies like not been able to delete favorites
    >> from
    >> the favorites menu like you can in ie with a right mouse click, not
    >> having
    >> this is tedious but the tab browsing is worth it.

    > Firefox has this. Didn't know Mozilla disn't. I'm amazed that it doesn't
    > (just checked).
    >
    > Tabless browsing <shudder> yuk.
    >
    > Anyhow what I would like
    >
    >> to know is if there is the following very useful feature in mozilla,
    >> (Another great feature of Opera is the ability to save the session you
    >> are
    >> working on. For instance, if you are researching a health issue and have
    >> five pages open, you simply click on Tools, then Preferences. Choose
    >> "Continue from last time" and close Opera. Next time you open Opera, you
    >> will be right where you left off. I keep this as my default setting so
    >> I don
    >> 't even have to click on Tools or Preferences. Opera knows that I want to
    >> start each session showing all the Web pages that I was using in my last
    >> session.)
    >> I don't know if firefox had this feature but I was wary of trying
    >> firefox as
    >> I don't want to muck around with immature software.

    > Firefox doesn't have it - closest AFAIK is being able to set your
    > homepage to the current group of pages, or being able to set up a
    > Personal Toolbar Folder folder with all your relevant pages in it, then
    > open the folder as a set of tabs "Open in Tabs". Mozilla doesn't have
    > these options. I find it more useful than the Opera option, as you can
    > save multiple groups of pages, depending what you are working on, and I
    > bookmark stuff as a matter of course these days.
    >
    > And no way is Firefox immature. It even has security issues these days.
    > I'd say it is more mature than Mozilla. On my systems it works pretty
    > well 100%, but I do have to shut it down every couple of weeks due to
    > memory leaks.

    Thanks a lot for the useful reply.
    By immature I meant that it has not been around long enough to become
    very stable, mozilla has been around a lot longer and so there is more
    chance that it is stable as it does not matter how good the features of
    a browser are if it is not stable I am not interested. I have not been
    using mozilla very long but so far it seems ok. The mozilla suite is a
    definite improvement over ie and outlook express but unfortunately it
    has some major pitfalls that are making it difficult for me to abandon
    ie and outlook express as my main programs, namely the fact that I
    cannot easily import favourites from ie after the initial download, I
    can import one favourite at a time but that is hopeless, another big one
    is that I don't seem to be able to export mail files to outlook express,
    I'm not keen on locking myself into something that gives me no easy way
    of going back, I thought this is what ms were bad for but this mozilla
    certainly seems to be designed to make it difficult to swap back. So
    along with the things I have already mentioned I am been prevented from
    making the swap when I would dearly love to because mozilla is so much
    better in some ways.
    Apparently firefox has no support for activeX, does mozilla?
    Just noticed that the spell check in mozilla does not seem to work very
    well, I had one letter out of place in apparently and it could not work
    out the word I wanted.

    slots, Mar 14, 2005
  4. slots

    -=rjh=- Guest

    slots wrote:
    > Thanks a lot for the useful reply.
    > By immature I meant that it has not been around long enough to become
    > very stable, mozilla has been around a lot longer and so there is more
    > chance that it is stable as it does not matter how good the features of
    > a browser are if it is not stable I am not interested. I have not been
    > using mozilla very long but so far it seems ok.

    Mozilla and Firefox share a lot of code AFAIK, I'm not seeing any
    difference in stability. It is a non-issue.

    The mozilla suite is a
    > definite improvement over ie and outlook express

    Anything is an improvement over those two. IE is *very* old.

    but unfortunately it
    > has some major pitfalls that are making it difficult for me to abandon
    > ie and outlook express as my main programs, namely the fact that I
    > cannot easily import favourites from ie after the initial download, I
    > can import one favourite at a time but that is hopeless,

    Firefox has import available at any time, it will import from IE,
    Netscape and Mozilla. Can import Internet Options, Cookies, Browsing
    History, Saved Form History, Saved Passwords and Favorites.

    another big one
    > is that I don't seem to be able to export mail files to outlook express,
    > I'm not keen on locking myself into something that gives me no easy way
    > of going back,

    Sounds like you have already done that with OE. There are other tools
    available to manage email conversion. Some of the other free enail
    clients are very good at this - Pegasus will deal with a heap of stuff,
    export it too.

    I thought this is what ms were bad for but this mozilla
    > certainly seems to be designed to make it difficult to swap back. So
    > along with the things I have already mentioned I am been prevented from
    > making the swap when I would dearly love to because mozilla is so much
    > better in some ways.

    Well, Firefox is even better than Mozilla.

    > Apparently firefox has no support for activeX, does mozilla?

    Not AFAIK, why would you need that? I don't use IE at all, again, for my
    browsing (yours may differ) it is a non issue.

    To summarise:

    Go straight to Firefox/Thunderbird.

    cheers

    -=rjh=-, Mar 14, 2005
  5. slots

    PseUDO Guest

    slots wrote:
    > I downloaded mozilla the other day, the main attraction was the tab browsing
    > as ie does not have this. So far I have been fairly pleased with it but I
    > have already found inadequacies like not been able to delete favorites from
    > the favorites menu like you can in ie with a right mouse click, not having
    > this is tedious but the tab browsing is worth it. Anyhow what I would like
    > to know is if there is the following very useful feature in mozilla,
    > (Another great feature of Opera is the ability to save the session you are
    > working on. For instance, if you are researching a health issue and have
    > five pages open, you simply click on Tools, then Preferences. Choose
    > "Continue from last time" and close Opera. Next time you open Opera, you
    > will be right where you left off. I keep this as my default setting so I don
    > 't even have to click on Tools or Preferences. Opera knows that I want to
    > start each session showing all the Web pages that I was using in my last
    > session.)
    > I don't know if firefox had this feature but I was wary of trying firefox as
    > I don't want to muck around with immature software.
    > I am very please with the newsgroup reader that comes with mozilla as so far
    > it does not have the very slow startup that outlook express has when you
    > click on the newsgroup section.
    >

    > I had to post using outlook express though as I don't want to set my email
    > up on mozilla yet because mozilla does not offer the option of exporting
    > messages to outlook express which is a major putoff as I don't want to be
    > locked into mozilla. I am presuming I have to set my email up as I could not
    > find any obvious way that would allow me to post with the mozilla
    > newsreader, it keeps coming up with the error that it can't connect to the
    > server and all my server settings are correct I think. The smtp setting has
    > a username and pasword option but only allows for the username, I presume it
    > gets the password from the email account, I supose I could trying setting up
    > an email account that has a false pop3 server address just so maybe I can
    > get the smtp to work in the newsgroups. Well what a wasste of my time that
    > was, it was bloody clearnet and their useless newsgroup service again that
    > was causing the problem as I found out when I tried to use outlook express,
    > it would have to be murphies law that this happened when I was trying to
    > post from mozilla for the first time which made me suspect my new software.
    > So I am posting this from an alternative newsserver.

    Version 1.7 of mozilla will most likely be the last one, they are
    switching focus to Firefox & Thunderbird.
    You should give the seperate Firefox & Thunderbird programmes a go.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Mar 14, 2005
  6. slots

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:44:06 +1300, PseUDO wrote:

    > Version 1.7 of mozilla will most likely be the last one, they are
    > switching focus to Firefox & Thunderbird. You should give the seperate
    > Firefox & Thunderbird programmes a go.

    It will only be the last official one the Mozilla Foundation themselves
    releases. It looks like there are enough developers that want to keep
    working on the Mozilla Suite that 1.8 will be finished off and continued
    by a community effort.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 14, 2005
  7. slots

    SchoolTech Guest

    In article <423524a6$> in nz.comp on Mon, 14 Mar 2005
    18:44:06 +1300, PseUDO <> says...
    > slots wrote:
    > > I downloaded mozilla the other day, the main attraction was the tab browsing
    > > as ie does not have this. So far I have been fairly pleased with it but I
    > > have already found inadequacies like not been able to delete favorites from
    > > the favorites menu like you can in ie with a right mouse click, not having
    > > this is tedious but the tab browsing is worth it. Anyhow what I would like
    > > to know is if there is the following very useful feature in mozilla,
    > > (Another great feature of Opera is the ability to save the session you are
    > > working on. For instance, if you are researching a health issue and have
    > > five pages open, you simply click on Tools, then Preferences. Choose
    > > "Continue from last time" and close Opera. Next time you open Opera, you
    > > will be right where you left off. I keep this as my default setting so I don
    > > 't even have to click on Tools or Preferences. Opera knows that I want to
    > > start each session showing all the Web pages that I was using in my last
    > > session.)
    > > I don't know if firefox had this feature but I was wary of trying firefox as
    > > I don't want to muck around with immature software.
    > > I am very please with the newsgroup reader that comes with mozilla as so far
    > > it does not have the very slow startup that outlook express has when you
    > > click on the newsgroup section.
    > >

    > > I had to post using outlook express though as I don't want to set my email
    > > up on mozilla yet because mozilla does not offer the option of exporting
    > > messages to outlook express which is a major putoff as I don't want to be
    > > locked into mozilla. I am presuming I have to set my email up as I could not
    > > find any obvious way that would allow me to post with the mozilla
    > > newsreader, it keeps coming up with the error that it can't connect to the
    > > server and all my server settings are correct I think. The smtp setting has
    > > a username and pasword option but only allows for the username, I presume it
    > > gets the password from the email account, I supose I could trying setting up
    > > an email account that has a false pop3 server address just so maybe I can
    > > get the smtp to work in the newsgroups. Well what a wasste of my time that
    > > was, it was bloody clearnet and their useless newsgroup service again that
    > > was causing the problem as I found out when I tried to use outlook express,
    > > it would have to be murphies law that this happened when I was trying to
    > > post from mozilla for the first time which made me suspect my new software.
    > > So I am posting this from an alternative newsserver.
    > >

    > Version 1.7 of mozilla will most likely be the last one,

    They have been in Beta of 1.8 for quite a few months now

    SchoolTech, Mar 14, 2005
  8. slots

    PseUDO Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > In article <423524a6$> in nz.comp on Mon, 14 Mar 2005
    > 18:44:06 +1300, PseUDO <> says...
    >
    >>slots wrote:
    >>

    >SNIP

    >>Version 1.7 of mozilla will most likely be the last one,

    > They have been in Beta of 1.8 for quite a few months now

    Bit of a story here behind the changes
    http://www.mozilla.org/seamonkey-transition.html

    "The ongoing alpha and beta releases of Seamonkey 1.8 have suggested
    that the Mozilla Foundation itself will be creating a 1.8 final release.
    This is not our plan. The 1.8 releases have been for testing our
    backend. We intend that the 1.7.x line of releases will be the last
    long-lived, maintained versions released by the Mozilla Foundation"

    I use both the firefox & thunderbird apps without any problems.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Mar 14, 2005
  9. slots

    rolling Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > slots wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks a lot for the useful reply.
    >> By immature I meant that it has not been around long enough to become
    >> very stable, mozilla has been around a lot longer and so there is more
    >> chance that it is stable as it does not matter how good the features
    >> of a browser are if it is not stable I am not interested. I have not
    >> been using mozilla very long but so far it seems ok.

    > Mozilla and Firefox share a lot of code AFAIK, I'm not seeing any
    > difference in stability. It is a non-issue.
    >

    > The mozilla suite is a
    >
    >> definite improvement over ie and outlook express

    > Anything is an improvement over those two. IE is *very* old.
    >
    > but unfortunately it
    >
    >> has some major pitfalls that are making it difficult for me to abandon
    >> ie and outlook express as my main programs, namely the fact that I
    >> cannot easily import favourites from ie after the initial download, I
    >> can import one favourite at a time but that is hopeless,

    > Firefox has import available at any time, it will import from IE,
    > Netscape and Mozilla. Can import Internet Options, Cookies, Browsing
    > History, Saved Form History, Saved Passwords and Favorites.
    >
    > another big one
    >
    >> is that I don't seem to be able to export mail files to outlook
    >> express, I'm not keen on locking myself into something that gives me
    >> no easy way of going back,

    > Sounds like you have already done that with OE. There are other tools
    > available to manage email conversion. Some of the other free enail
    > clients are very good at this - Pegasus will deal with a heap of stuff,
    > export it too.
    >
    > I thought this is what ms were bad for but this mozilla
    >
    >> certainly seems to be designed to make it difficult to swap back. So
    >> along with the things I have already mentioned I am been prevented
    >> from making the swap when I would dearly love to because mozilla is so
    >> much better in some ways.

    > Well, Firefox is even better than Mozilla.
    >
    >> Apparently firefox has no support for activeX, does mozilla?

    > Not AFAIK, why would you need that? I don't use IE at all, again, for my
    > browsing (yours may differ) it is a non issue.
    >
    > To summarise:
    >
    > Go straight to Firefox/Thunderbird.
    >
    > cheers

    I tried firefox like you suggested and like you said it is even better
    than mozilla, in fact it is way better, in terms of features it's
    lightyears ahead of any other browser I have used, nobody should still
    be using ie now that firefox is here, ie belongs in the stoneage. Anyhow
    the bad news is that the browser slows down to a crawl every now and
    again, it's happened many times since I started using it 6 days ago, I'm
    talking too slow to use, like 20-30 seconds for any action to take
    place, whether I be switching tabs or simply typing a letter into the
    search engine but at least I can shut all tabs down at once and then
    simply restart the browser with all my previous open tabs opening again
    thanks to the save session feature that was an add-on extension to the
    firefox browser. For me if they could fix this stability problem I would
    have the perfect browser, as it stands though it is still easily my
    first choice browser to use. I am running windows98 se on a p3-550 and
    256Mb ram.
    As far as thunderbird goes it is a better newsgroup reader than oe
    because it does not have the very slow startup time of oe when I go to
    look at newsgroups for the first time that session. But as of yet i have
    not been able to switch to oe because I cannot work out how it can
    handle my multiple email addresses correctly. I will ask more about that
    in a separate thread.

    rolling, Mar 20, 2005
  10. slots

    -=rjh=- Guest

    rolling wrote:
    > search engine but at least I can shut all tabs down at once and then
    > simply restart the browser with all my previous open tabs opening again
    > thanks to the save session feature that was an add-on extension to the
    > firefox browser.

    That's SessionSaver, nice extension. Brings one of Opera's best features
    to Firefox

    -=rjh=-, Mar 20, 2005
  11. slots

    rolling Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > rolling wrote:
    >
    >> search engine but at least I can shut all tabs down at once and then
    >> simply restart the browser with all my previous open tabs opening
    >> again thanks to the save session feature that was an add-on extension
    >> to the firefox browser.

    > That's SessionSaver, nice extension. Brings one of Opera's best features
    > to Firefox

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups

    Yep, it was one of the main features I was after so once I found that I
    could add this feature to firefox I was sold.

    rolling, Mar 20, 2005