LOOKING FOR LOW PRICE QUALITY DIGITAL CAMERA

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bigrog_98@yahoo.com, Sep 29, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    I am looking to buy a new digital camera.

    I am completely ignorant about digital brand cameras. I have an old
    Cannon sure shot camera presently, which I rarely use.

    It was suggested that I purchase a digital camera by the local film
    developing place.
    I do not know anything about different brands and what the advantage
    of having a digital camera versus the film cameras..my only knowledge
    is five pixels.

    I wish to spend only about $200.00 for a camera.

    Please suggest a low price quality brand and why I should buy this
    particular one.

    Kindly reply by posting only as email protected from spam.

    Thanks.

    Big Rog

    , Sep 29, 2006

  2. What will you use the camera for?
    Why did you set a $200 price?
    Is this a stepping stone camera?
    For that amount of money you have a vast variety to choose from.
    Stick with a name brand and you probably won't go wrong.

    Fumble Fingers, Sep 29, 2006

  3. $200 is going to restrict you to a low-end point and shoot camera ... and
    most of those currently out there are about the same. So, go to Best Buy,
    Circuit City, Costco, whatever, and handle them and then you can choose.

    You can get good shots with a camera like that, by the way. Great shots
    will be difficult, but not impossible.

    Charles Schuler, Sep 30, 2006
  4. Marvin Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking to buy a new digital camera.
    >
    > I am completely ignorant about digital brand cameras. I have an old
    > Cannon sure shot camera presently, which I rarely use.
    >
    > It was suggested that I purchase a digital camera by the local film
    > developing place.
    > I do not know anything about different brands and what the advantage
    > of having a digital camera versus the film cameras..my only knowledge
    > is five pixels.
    >
    > I wish to spend only about $200.00 for a camera.
    >
    > Please suggest a low price quality brand and why I should buy this
    > particular one.
    >
    > Kindly reply by posting only as email protected from spam.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Big Rog

    I recently got a Panasonic DMC-LZ3 for $200. It has 5
    megapixels, 6X zoom, image stabilization, and other
    fetaures. It is norw being advertised at $189.99 by Circuit
    City, and perhaps other places. Buying a memory card will
    bring the price over $200, but not by much if you shop
    carefully.
    You can compare digicams for price and features at
    dpreview.com.

    Marvin, Sep 30, 2006
  5. RichA Guest

    On 29 Sep 2006 08:18:01 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am looking to buy a new digital camera.
    >
    >I am completely ignorant about digital brand cameras. I have an old
    >Cannon sure shot camera presently, which I rarely use.
    >
    >It was suggested that I purchase a digital camera by the local film
    >developing place.
    >I do not know anything about different brands and what the advantage
    >of having a digital camera versus the film cameras..my only knowledge
    >is five pixels.
    >
    >I wish to spend only about $200.00 for a camera.
    >
    >Please suggest a low price quality brand and why I should buy this
    >particular one.
    >
    >Kindly reply by posting only as email protected from spam.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Big Rog

    How about one of those "12 megapixel" no-names sold on Ebay for $100?
    :)

    RichA, Sep 30, 2006
  6. John Turco Guest

    RichA wrote:

    > On 29 Sep 2006 08:18:01 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I am looking to buy a new digital camera.
    > >
    > >I am completely ignorant about digital brand cameras. I have an old
    > >Cannon sure shot camera presently, which I rarely use.
    > >
    > >It was suggested that I purchase a digital camera by the local film
    > >developing place.
    > >I do not know anything about different brands and what the advantage
    > >of having a digital camera versus the film cameras..my only knowledge
    > >is five pixels.
    > >
    > >I wish to spend only about $200.00 for a camera.
    > >
    > >Please suggest a low price quality brand and why I should buy this
    > >particular one.
    > >
    > >Kindly reply by posting only as email protected from spam.
    > >
    > >Thanks.
    > >
    > >Big Rog

    > How about one of those "12 megapixel" no-names sold on Ebay for $100?
    > :)

    Hello, Rich:

    The sellers of those cheap, "12 megapixel" digicams never seem to
    mention the words, "software interpolated," in the titles of their eBay
    listings.

    I wonder why that is? <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Oct 2, 2006
  7. miles Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking to buy a new digital camera.
    >
    > I am completely ignorant about digital brand cameras. I have an old
    > Cannon sure shot camera presently, which I rarely use.

    You requested an email reply. This is usenet. The discussion is
    beneficial to all so my reply will be here.

    It sounds like you want a something simple to use. For me the main
    criteria in picking out a camera is the following:

    Image Stabilization. This is an absolute must. Otherwise low light,
    moving subjects or just shaky hands causes blurred pictures.

    Optical Zoom. Many cameras advertise their total zoom. Ignore the
    digital zoom specification. Digital zoom can be done much better on
    your PC. Less expensive cameras should still have at least a 3x optical
    zoom.

    Megapixels. Get the resolution you need and nothing more. If all
    you're doing is printing 5x5 or smaller prints or just sending emails
    then 3mp is plenty.

    Built in memory and cost of memory expansion cards. Find out how many
    pictures will fit at the highest resolution setting. Determine the cost
    of any needed memory expansion card to handle the number of pictures you
    feel you need.

    Battery type and life. Find out what type of batteries a camera takes
    and how many pictures with/without flash they typically last. I greatly
    prefer a camera that takes rechargable batteries. I hate having to keep
    buying them and carrying them around! For my camera I bought 3
    rechargeable batteries that I keep charged when going on vacation. I
    never have had to use more than 2 before returning to my hotel to
    recharge them.

    Screen size and brightness. Can the screen be used outdoors in the sun?
    My Kodak P850 also has a viewfinder screen that can be used in any
    lighting condition. Most lower end cameras lack that feature.

    I find Costco generally beats anyone elses prices except mail order.
    Costco's return policy if you have problems is by far the best in the
    industry.

    I have a Kodak P850 which while very easy to use is probably overkill
    and too expensive for your needs. I have seen it as low as $200 but
    lately its much higher. I like the Kodak cameras that are able to use a
    docking station. These stations allow for recharging and transfer of
    pictures to the PC with ease. Some docks are also printers. Very
    convenient especially for novices.

    Kodak, Olympus and Canon are my personal choices.

    miles, Oct 3, 2006
  8. Guest

    Miles

    Thanks for your intelligent reply. I reposted below as I was not
    satisfied with responses. If you are interested, look there.

    Roger

    , Oct 4, 2006
  9. Guest

    Miles

    Thanks for your intelligent response.

    I deleted posting as I was disatisfied with slow responses and it is
    posted

    under

    misc.consumers.frugal-living -
    INEXPENSIVE DIGITAL CAMERAS, WHAT IS OUT THERE????

    Look there if you are interested.

    Roger.

    , Oct 4, 2006
  10. John Turco Guest

    miles wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am looking to buy a new digital camera.
    > >
    > > I am completely ignorant about digital brand cameras. I have an old
    > > Cannon sure shot camera presently, which I rarely use.

    <edited, for brevity>

    > I find Costco generally beats anyone elses prices except mail order.
    > Costco's return policy if you have problems is by far the best in the
    > industry.
    >
    > I have a Kodak P850 which while very easy to use is probably overkill
    > and too expensive for your needs. I have seen it as low as $200 but
    > lately its much higher. I like the Kodak cameras that are able to use a
    > docking station. These stations allow for recharging and transfer of
    > pictures to the PC with ease. Some docks are also printers. Very
    > convenient especially for novices.
    >
    > Kodak, Olympus and Canon are my personal choices.

    Hello, Miles:

    Excellent advice, all around. I got my own P850, last May -- Costco's
    $229.99 camera/dock/bag bundle was a real steal!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Oct 6, 2006
  11. Guest

    ADDENDUM

    Just received the latest issue of Consumer reports. Guess what they
    featured?

    No further postings necessary, unless you want to expand on your
    experiences..

    I am going for a Cannon.

    Thank you all for your contributions.

    Roger

    , Oct 12, 2006
  12. Guest

    i got a cannon and i love it. Its an elph s400. i got it 2002 and its
    still kickin and it went thru hell and back. The only thing i did just
    this year was crack the lcd. Idk but i got a replacement one on ebay
    for about 40 bucks and it was really easy to install and works great!

    , Oct 12, 2006
  13. Bill Funk Guest

    On 12 Oct 2006 15:14:49 -0700, ""
    <> wrote:

    >i got a cannon and i love it. Its an elph s400. i got it 2002 and its
    >still kickin and it went thru hell and back. The only thing i did just
    >this year was crack the lcd. Idk but i got a replacement one on ebay
    >for about 40 bucks and it was really easy to install and works great!

    I was going to get a cannon, but the regulations were too burdensome,
    and they cost too much to use.
    I took up photography, instead.
    :)
    --