    that?

    --
    ..

    Info, Nov 9, 2003

  2. Info

    CSM1 Guest

    "Info" <> wrote in message
    news:tPlrb.348$...
    > I have a kodak DX6490 and want to attach 52 mm filters and a wide angle
    > adapter. So far I have not been able to find a lens adapter that will

    screw
    > into the body for this camera. I suspect that the adapter will have 43 mm
    > male threads on the camera end and I need 52 mm female threads at the

    filter
    > end.
    >
    > Does anyone know of an adapter for another camera brand or model that fits
    > that?
    >
    > --
    > .

    They do not list the Kodak DX9490, but there are many lens adapters.
    http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product_index/index001-camera_acc-ad_index.html

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1, Nov 9, 2003

  3. Info

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Info,

    I can understand your interest, but there are no accessory lenses or
    adapters planned for this camera. Sorry we cannot help directly with more.
    Contrary to reports by some here, there will not be any accessory lenses
    offered for this model.

    Talk top you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Nov 10, 2003
  4. << "Info" <> wrote in message
    > I have a kodak DX6490 and want to attach 52 mm filters and a wide angle
    > adapter. So far I have not been able to find a lens adapter that will

    screw
    > into the body for this camera. I suspect that the adapter will have 43 mm
    > male threads on the camera end and I need 52 mm female threads at the

    filter

    Info-

    My Olympus C-3040Z has 41mm threads. Olympus makes a 41mm to 43mm
    spacer/adapter. The camera store where I bought the camera, sold me the
    Olympus adapter plus Tiffen 43mm to 49mm and 49mm to 52mm step-up rings.

    These step-up rings would seem to meet your basic requirement, but there may be
    some other clearance problem. I suggest you take your DX6490 to a "real"
    camera store and see if they have something that will work for you.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Nov 11, 2003
  5. Info

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Fred,

    The camera does not have the threading capacity for a lens, and accessory
    lenses are not available. You are going to run the risk of getting poor
    results and possibly damaging the camera. I would not recommend jerry
    rigging anything. The 10X optical is quite good and suffices for most all
    situations in general picture taking. The quality of the image will also
    allow for an additional digital zoom.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Nov 12, 2003
  6. Info

    Info Guest

    Thank you Fred.

    Ron, I am puzzled why Kodak does not want to support filters on this camera.
    I can understand that accessory lenses might seem outside the target
    consumer market for this camera however. Can you shed any light on that
    subject?
    So far the Kodak DX6490 has performed nicely for me. I do want to use some
    filters and I am also looking forward to not having to hand hold my Kenko
    KNW-05 Hi wide angle lens adapter by hand.

    Filters, after all have been pretty well accepted in the photographic
    community for some time.

    The deciding factor in purchasing the Kodak DX6490 at this time was the pc
    flash sync connection. I needed to use my studio strobes.

    Info, Nov 13, 2003
  7. Info

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Fred,

    I can appreciate the interest and the need.

    I believe the reason is related to the dynamics of the 10X optical feature.
    Since the lens zooms out quite a bit, adding any extension to it would be
    extreme, i.e. a 2x extender, would make it a 20x or possible 30x zoom. In
    that scenario the optics would be extreme and I suspect it would be quite
    difficult to get a sharp picture.

    I am going to share your thoughts about filters with our engineering team.
    We appreciate feedback like this. I suspect the reason is related to a very
    low market for such filters in the non professional market. But, when I
    learn more, I will share with you. Thanks for sharing.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Nov 17, 2003
  8. << In
    that scenario the optics would be extreme and I suspect it would be quite
    difficult to get a sharp picture.

    I am going to share your thoughts about filters with our engineering team. >>

    Ron-

    I can understand why supplementary lenses would not be practical for this
    camera. Yes, most people do not use filters. That isn't the point!

    For those who want to improvise and use lenses from some other brand of camera,
    will certainly find out soon enough that the result is poor. That is how you
    learn. Those who like to play with things, trying different combinations in
    order to learn about cameras and photography in general, are frustrated by such
    a popular camera not having even a simple threaded lens barrel to accept
    screw-in filters.

    I was glad to read in your recent message, that Kodak had changed their mind
    about the 6490. But how can they do that now? Would you devise a slip-on
    friction-fit adapter? Better yet, would you allow customers to send in their
    camera for an upgrade? Or, does Kodak merely intend to include the capability
    on the next model?

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Nov 21, 2003
  9. Info

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Fred,

    I am not clear on the details? All I know is that our teams agreed to add
    this feature. You will be able to use filters via the add on adapter. Not
    sure about the telephoto feature however, and I am going to guess that it
    will be for wide angle and added options like those you have mentioned.
    Should enhance the camera even more than it has already.

    I realize that not everyone has software like Photoshop or the like, but you
    can use these programs in digital to add filter effects etc. Nothing like
    optical, however, so should prove to be popular feature. As soon as I learn
    more I will share with you.

    Talk to you soon, Fred,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company