looking for lanyard that screws into tripod mount

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ronald O. Christian, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. The first (and so far only) thing that broke on my Sony P32 was the
    rather cheesy lanyard tie point, which is just a very tiny piece of
    metal embedded in plastic. I had inherited a Bolsey 35mm camera from
    my grandfather, which had a parachute cord lanyard that screwed into
    the tripod mount. It worked fine with the Sony so I've been using it
    pretty steadily these last three months.

    The problem is, the lanyard is probably 50 years old (or more) and the
    parachute cord is falling apart. The concept (of a lanyard that
    screws into the tripod mount) is ideal for this particular
    application, and indeed probably has application for any small (rather
    expensive) digital cameras. I'd like to find a replacement, but a
    visit to various camera stores has yielded nothing so far. Is there
    such a product in this day and age?

    BTW, I still have the Bolsey. The shutter still works. I'm tempted
    to put some film in it and see what it does.

    Ron
    -
    http://www.christianfamilywebsite.com
    http://www.iswizards.com
    Definition: Nelp: Contraction of "no help". Colloquial: Help
    messages that are of no help whatsoever. Pretains to help files,
    messages or documentation that convey no useful information, or
    pedantically repeat the blindingly obvious.
    Ronald O. Christian, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Ronald O. Christian <> writes:

    > The problem is, the lanyard is probably 50 years old (or more) and the
    > parachute cord is falling apart. The concept (of a lanyard that
    > screws into the tripod mount) is ideal for this particular
    > application, and indeed probably has application for any small (rather
    > expensive) digital cameras.

    You probably can make one. Use climbing rope from REI or the like and a
    bolt that is the standard 1/4 inch x 20 -- you probably can find a bolt
    with a ring on it. If not, get a wing nut. :)

    Phil Stripling, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Ronald O. Christian

    Pete Guest

    "Phil Stripling" <> wrote in message
    > Ronald O. Christian <> writes:
    >
    > > The problem is, the lanyard is probably 50 years old (or more) and the
    > > parachute cord is falling apart. The concept (of a lanyard that
    > > screws into the tripod mount) is ideal for this particular
    > > application, and indeed probably has application for any small (rather
    > > expensive) digital cameras.

    Berkley Point do a Mini Coil Camera Tether/Strap
    has a tripod bolt

    http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/tools/mct3.html
    Pete, Aug 13, 2003
  4. Ronald O. Christian

    tim sewell Guest

    > You probably can make one. Use climbing rope from REI or the like and a
    > bolt that is the standard 1/4 inch x 20 -- you probably can find a bolt
    > with a ring on it. If not, get a wing nut. :)

    Just a suggestion - if you go the route of a DIY lanyard, it could be a good
    idea to incorporate a locking nut under the camera tripod socket, otherwise
    the lanyard might well unscrew over time, with potentially damaging results.
    Perhaps your grandfather's lanyard has something that you could use for this
    purpose?

    Tim S.
    tim sewell, Aug 13, 2003
  5. Ronald O. Christian

    D Guest

    This is kind of fun.
    A lanyard is a rope or tie to keep you from dropping, losing or otherwise
    misplacing something - like a compass or little camera. You put the rope or
    chain or whatever it is around your neck or attach it to your belt or other
    part of your clothing. Then you put the item away in a pocket or its
    container. If you fall down or get clumsy or forgetful, or someone tries to
    steal it, you are saved by the rope or tie. Truckers use chains on their
    wallets - technically could be a lanyard too. Some people have their keys
    on long 'things' and attached to their person or briefcase or purse for that
    reason.

    I keep my little Nikon on its lanyard around my neck, then place the camera
    in my shirt pocket. When I bend over mindlessly the camera falls out of the
    pocket but is saved by the lanyard.

    Sorry I can't help with the original question, though - where to get a
    tripod mount screw in lanyard.

    > Ender W. <> writes:
    >
    > > trying to find out what a lanyard is! It's probably not anything like
    > > you want, but I really still don't know what a lanyard is!

    > http://www.ustacticalsupply.com/lanyard.shtml
    > http://www.thespacestore.com/lanyard.html
    > http://store.yahoo.com/idsuperstoreusa/lanyards.html

    http://www.epinions.com/Apparel_Accessories-Bison_Designs_Deluxe_Lanyard/dis
    play_~latest_prices

    D, Aug 13, 2003
  6. On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:25:47 +1000, "tim sewell"
    <> wrote:

    >"Phil Stripling" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> You probably can make one. Use climbing rope from REI or the like and a
    >> bolt that is the standard 1/4 inch x 20 -- you probably can find a bolt
    >> with a ring on it. If not, get a wing nut. :)
    >>

    >Just a suggestion - if you go the route of a DIY lanyard, it could be a good
    >idea to incorporate a locking nut under the camera tripod socket, otherwise
    >the lanyard might well unscrew over time, with potentially damaging results.
    >Perhaps your grandfather's lanyard has something that you could use for this
    >purpose?

    It has a lock washer, yes.

    Ron
    -
    Ronald O. Christian, Aug 13, 2003
  7. Ronald O. Christian <> writes:

    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:25:47 +1000, "tim sewell"
    > <> wrote:
    > >Just a suggestion - if you go the route of a DIY lanyard, it could be a good
    > >idea to incorporate a locking nut under the camera tripod socket, otherwise
    > >the lanyard might well unscrew over time, with potentially damaging results.
    > >Perhaps your grandfather's lanyard has something that you could use for this
    > >purpose?

    > It has a lock washer, yes.

    Tim makes an excellent suggestion for safety.

    I've been using a lanyard on my Nikonos for years, but I have it tied
    through the lens strap ring. I've forgotten what camera you're using, but I
    assume it doesn't have a lens strap ring to use instead the tripod mount?
    Many digital cameras don't provide for neck straps nowadays.

    (My lanyard fits over my wrist, by the way, to keep the camera at hand
    while snorkeling.)
    Phil Stripling, Aug 13, 2003

    Phil Stripling, Aug 14, 2003
  9. Ronald O. Christian

    Buster Guest

    How about making your own? Go to the hardware store and ask for a
    1/4-20 eye bolt, attach some rope (string, leather, whatever) and
    there you go! An eye bolt is a bolt with a hole in the end (sort of).
    Buster

    Buster, Aug 14, 2003
  10. Ronald O. Christian

    Abrasha Guest

    "Ender W." wrote:

    > Boy, do I feel stupid. I found this lanyard with a search engine
    >
    > http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/main_item.asp?id=964588418&lhalf=bp
    >
    > trying to find out what a lanyard is! It's probably not anything like
    > you want, but I really still don't know what a lanyard is!
    >
    > GH

    It's originally a nautical term.

    Pronunciation: 'lan-y&rd
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English lanyer thong, strap, from Middle French laniere
    Date: 1626
    1 : a piece of rope or line for fastening something in a ship; especially : one
    of the pieces passing through deadeyes to extend shrouds or stays
    2 a : a cord or strap to hold something (as a knife or a whistle) and usually
    worn around the neck b : a cord worn as a symbol of a military citation
    3 : a strong line used to activate a system (as in firing a cannon or sounding a
    whistle)

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com
    Abrasha, Aug 14, 2003
  11. Ronald O. Christian

    Ken Davey Guest

    "Dreamer" <> wrote in message

    > "Ronald O. Christian" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > The first (and so far only) thing that broke on my Sony P32 was the
    > > rather cheesy lanyard tie point, which is just a very tiny piece of
    > > metal embedded in plastic...

    > I don't know how big a camera that is, but if you're shopping anyway, you
    > might consider just buying a flash bracket for the camera. Many flash
    > brackets have built in neckstraps or at least strap attachment points. I

    had
    > one for my Kodak DC290 - from Phil over at Photosolve.com - that was

    great.
    > I shouldn't have sold it, as apparently he doesn't make them anymore.
    >
    > I made a tripod mounting plate for my Minolta S414 that with very little
    > extra modification could be used to attach a lanyard or a neckstrap. It

    has
    > a neckstrap, so I didn't bother. Here's the post I made about it on a
    > Minolta board:
    >
    > One of the big weaknesses in the Minolta S414, which most of the reviews
    > mention, is the absurd placement of the tripod mount screw. I didn't like
    > it, so I made a new mounting plate. I cut a piece of plastic the same

    shape
    > as the camera's bottom (I scanned the camera sitting on a scannerglass,

    then
    > traced it) only I enlarged it a bit. I used a laser cutter, so I had it

    cut
    > the hole for the tripod screw at the same time, but if I'd cut it by hand

    > would have used a drill press to make it. I countersunk the hole so the
    > screw I used wouldn't stick out the bottom. Then I drilled (can't laser

    cut
    > a hole to be tapped - not precise enough in this thick a material) and
    > tapped a hole in the dead center of the plate for a tripod screw. (Most
    > tripod screws are the VERY common 1/4:20 thread size.) Finally, I attached
    > some latex-impregnated cloth that's sold in drugstores for sports bandages
    > to the top of the plate with some double-faced sticky material called
    > twin-tack.
    >
    > Now I can fasten the camera to the plate and the plate to the tripod head,
    > which means the camera's kiester isn't hanging out in the breeze because

    of
    > the weird location of the tripod screw.
    >
    > Here's a picture:
    >
    > http://www.dreamstrike.com/images/tripodmt.jpg
    >
    > I did something similar with the flash bracket I had for my Kodak DC290 so

    > could mount it on a tripod without taking it out of the bracket. I'm not

    so
    > much bragging - well maybe a little - as I am showing that it's not too

    hard
    > to get around problems with the physical aspects of a camera with some
    > imagination.

    A caviat here. If anyone is thinking of making a DIY anything that screws
    into a canera's tripod socket make damn sure that it can not 'bottom out' in
    the socket. Overtightening such a device can seriously damage a camera.
    You have been warned.

    regards.
    Ken.
    Ken Davey, Aug 16, 2003