Looking for ISP with decent binary news service

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Kiwi, Aug 27, 2004.

  1. Kiwi

    Kiwi Guest

    Hello all,

    I've come back to NZ after a few years away and am looking for an ISP which
    will provide me with decent access to the alt.binaries.e-book* &
    alt.binaries.pictures.comics* hierarchies.

    I'm using Xtra's dial-up service (which is complete sh*t, 70%+ of multipart
    messages being incomplete) until I can suss out someone decent to switch to
    for broadband.

    I use Teranews as a backup, but don't want to have to switch to using them
    as my main source, since that would count as overseas bandwidth used, not
    to mention paying Teranews as well as an ISP.

    Ihug has been suggested, among others, but I don't know what the binary
    service of any of them is like. Comments & suggestions appreciated.

    Dave
    --
    Address spamblocked - remove .NZ to reply

    Kiwi, Aug 27, 2004

  2. Kiwi wrote:
    > I use Teranews as a backup, but don't want to have to switch to using them
    > as my main source, since that would count as overseas bandwidth used, not
    > to mention paying Teranews as well as an ISP.
    >
    > Ihug has been suggested, among others, but I don't know what the binary
    > service of any of them is like. Comments & suggestions appreciated.

    most nz isp's dropped binaries groups a few years back... and those that
    didn't drop them, made them almost useless.

    If you use a news reader that can pull from multiple servers, and
    specify which one it checks first, then it can save you on a lot of intl
    bandwidth.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 27, 2004

  3. Kiwi

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:30:39 +1200, Kiwi <> wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >
    >I've come back to NZ after a few years away and am looking for an ISP which
    >will provide me with decent access to the alt.binaries.e-book* &
    >alt.binaries.pictures.comics* hierarchies.
    >
    >I'm using Xtra's dial-up service (which is complete sh*t, 70%+ of multipart
    >messages being incomplete) until I can suss out someone decent to switch to
    >for broadband.
    >
    >I use Teranews as a backup, but don't want to have to switch to using them
    >as my main source, since that would count as overseas bandwidth used, not
    >to mention paying Teranews as well as an ISP.
    >
    >Ihug has been suggested, among others, but I don't know what the binary
    >service of any of them is like. Comments & suggestions appreciated.
    >
    >Dave

    Not here in NZ..

    Karen Parker, Aug 27, 2004
  4. Kiwi

    geoffm Guest

    If you want binaries, you will have to pay for it. I use
    www.newscene.com and recommend it. Good retention, all the groups and
    all the psots. I haven't had an incomplete (that has been completely
    posted) for a long time.
    Geoff

    geoffm, Aug 27, 2004
  5. Kiwi

    Karen Parker Guest

    On 27 Aug 2004 02:56:13 -0500, geoffm <>
    wrote:

    > If you want binaries, you will have to pay for it. I use
    >www.newscene.com and recommend it. Good retention, all the groups and
    >all the psots. I haven't had an incomplete (that has been completely
    >posted) for a long time.
    >Geoff

    Easynews is far better, as you can dnload files as full binaries, no encoding
    overheads and headers are not counted, or you can use the NNTP service.

    One month retention..

    Karen Parker, Aug 27, 2004
  6. Kiwi

    Kiwi Guest

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:58:43 +1200, Karen Parker
    < wrote:

    >On 27 Aug 2004 02:56:13 -0500, geoffm <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> If you want binaries, you will have to pay for it. I use
    >>www.newscene.com and recommend it. Good retention, all the groups and
    >>all the psots. I haven't had an incomplete (that has been completely
    >>posted) for a long time.
    >>Geoff

    >Easynews is far better, as you can dnload files as full binaries, no encoding
    >overheads and headers are not counted, or you can use the NNTP service.
    >

    >One month retention..

    Well, I've been happy using Teranews as a back-up, looks like I'll be
    upgrading my account with them.

    Kiwi, Aug 28, 2004
  7. Kiwi

    steve Guest

    Kiwi wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I've come back to NZ after a few years away and am looking for an ISP
    > which will provide me with decent access to the alt.binaries.e-book* &
    > alt.binaries.pictures.comics* hierarchies.

    Orcon may now have such a service. Their new news service -
    www.newsfeeds.com - bills it self as "uncensored news".

    steve, Aug 28, 2004
  8. Kiwi

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 00:39:21 +1200, Kiwi <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:58:43 +1200, Karen Parker
    >< wrote:
    >
    >>On 27 Aug 2004 02:56:13 -0500, geoffm <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you want binaries, you will have to pay for it. I use
    >>>www.newscene.com and recommend it. Good retention, all the groups and
    >>>all the psots. I haven't had an incomplete (that has been completely
    >>>posted) for a long time.
    >>>Geoff

    >>Easynews is far better, as you can dnload files as full binaries, no encoding
    >>overheads and headers are not counted, or you can use the NNTP service.
    >>

    >>One month retention..
    >>

    >Well, I've been happy using Teranews as a back-up, looks like I'll be
    >upgrading my account with them.

    But does it have Full Decoded Binary Dnloads..?

    Karen Parker, Aug 29, 2004
  9. Re: Looking for ISP with decent binary news serviceCa

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > most nz isp's dropped binaries groups a few years back... and those that
    > didn't drop them, made them almost useless.
    >
    > If you use a news reader that can pull from multiple servers, and
    > specify which one it checks first, then it can save you on a lot of intl
    > bandwidth.

    Can you really blame them when the cost is so huge? We're talking a constant
    50Mbit/s of international bandwidth, and that was two years ago.

    Nigel Roberts, Aug 29, 2004
  10. Kiwi

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:24:30 +1200, steve wrote:

    > Orcon may now have such a service. Their new news service -
    > www.newsfeeds.com - bills it self as "uncensored news".

    *IF* you can get it to bloody work. *I* still can't, but my other servers
    work perfectly.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." -- Oscar Wilde

    Note: All my comments are copyright 29/08/2004 1:28:10 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 29, 2004
  11. Kiwi

    steve Guest

    Brendan wrote:

    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:24:30 +1200, steve wrote:
    >
    >> Orcon may now have such a service. Their new news service -
    >> www.newsfeeds.com - bills it self as "uncensored news".

    > *IF* you can get it to bloody work. *I* still can't, but my other servers
    > work perfectly.

    Apparently it works OK on dial-up.....but the ADSL folks (like me) are
    having trouble being authenticated as valid for access.

    I've been using news.individual.net anyway for several weeks now....so the
    Orcon server isn't urgent.

    steve, Aug 29, 2004
  12. Re: Looking for ISP with decent binary news serviceCa

    Nigel Roberts wrote:
    >>most nz isp's dropped binaries groups a few years back... and those that
    >>didn't drop them, made them almost useless.

    > Can you really blame them when the cost is so huge? We're talking a constant
    > 50Mbit/s of international bandwidth, and that was two years ago.

    nah I'm all from dropping binary news service, or at least use D-news
    for serving it up so that you're not grabbing a full feed, only the
    requested groups.

    and for those that are "in to" them(binary groups)... there are a lot
    better places to get most binaries.
    Bit-torrant is a better way.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 29, 2004
  13. Kiwi

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:23:54 +1200, steve wrote:

    > Apparently it works OK on dial-up.....but the ADSL folks (like me) are
    > having trouble being authenticated as valid for access.

    That's me too.

    It's about time they fixed it - it's not brain surgery - surely it can't be
    too hard to get the appropriate IP numbers from Telescum.

    And if Telescum are dragging their feet or mucking around, it's 'see you in
    Court for breach of contract'.

    --

    .... Brendan

    Why should I care about posterity? What's posterity ever done for me?
    - Groucho Marx

    Note: All my comments are copyright 29/08/2004 10:07:49 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 29, 2004
  14. Kiwi

    Brett Guest

    Kiwi-Share under-standing. was, about mobile phone local calling

    Well that Red Meisterdude wrote:

    >> Wireless calls are way too expensive.

    I like the idea of the IP cell phone network, and the kiwi-share,
    free local calling. So with my old nokia 9600baud vodafone modem,
    can I do ip over that? Oh maybe sms/ip texts cheaper?

    Still at 20c text packet on an sms, is 128 characters (BYTE 00-FF).
    gif might be pushing a bit "OVER" for real time phone. hummmmm

    Inspired by SteveS
    >Dump the Telecom line and just use your mobile - have a wireless data line
    >for the net if you need to get access to the net. This is the way the world

    Brett

    Brett, Aug 31, 2004