Looking for input on Reformat Checklist

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by JM, Jan 23, 2006.

  1. JM

    JM Guest

    What is your method for backing up information prior to a hard drive
    reformat? What if someone brought you their computer and it had been
    decimated by viruses and other malware, and a reformat seemed the best
    option? Of course you would want as much input as possible from the
    computer owner (important information, location of files/folders,
    preferences, network settings, etc), but perhaps much of the responsibility
    of backing up the right stuff falls on you, as a computer power user. What
    are all the things we need to think about?

    Some obvious things that come to mind for me:

    Documents
    Images
    Music
    Video
    Bookmarks/Favorites
    Email
    Network settings (VPNs, wireless, fixed IPs, etc)
    Saved Games
    Preferences of specific programs

    I know there are many more considerations, and that's why I'm asking.
    Perhaps we can come up with a comprehensive checklist that we can all use.

    Thank you,

    JM

    JM, Jan 23, 2006

  2. JM

    JD Guest

    JM wrote:
    > What is your method for backing up information prior to a hard drive
    > reformat? What if someone brought you their computer and it had been
    > decimated by viruses and other malware, and a reformat seemed the best
    > option? Of course you would want as much input as possible from the
    > computer owner (important information, location of files/folders,
    > preferences, network settings, etc), but perhaps much of the responsibility
    > of backing up the right stuff falls on you, as a computer power user. What
    > are all the things we need to think about?
    >
    > Some obvious things that come to mind for me:
    >
    > Documents
    > Images
    > Music
    > Video
    > Bookmarks/Favorites
    > Email
    > Network settings (VPNs, wireless, fixed IPs, etc)
    > Saved Games
    > Preferences of specific programs
    >
    > I know there are many more considerations, and that's why I'm asking.
    > Perhaps we can come up with a comprehensive checklist that we can all use.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > JM

    When I'm working on someone else computer, the first thing I do is to
    make a complete image of the hard drive, which I store on a local file
    server.
    If anything does go wrong at the least they get there computer back the
    way it was given to me.

    some of the programs I use are:
    Ghost
    (www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/backup_recovery/ghost10/index.html)
    the rescue disks are much more useful than the actual windows executable.

    True-Image
    (www.acronis.com/promo/ATI/true-image-003.html?source=google&ad=ati&gclid=CIHG8Yyt4IICFS68EAodp1HYjA)

    and my 3rd option a Linux live CD, and do a disk dump over the network
    to the file server (dd if=/dev/hda | ssh
    /usr/bin/dd of=/directory/image.img) its best to pipe in some sort of
    compression between the dump I prefer 7z (LZMA (www.7-zip.org))

    JD

    JD, Jan 23, 2006

  3. JM

    JD Guest

    JD wrote:
    > JM wrote:
    >
    >> What is your method for backing up information prior to a hard drive
    >> reformat? What if someone brought you their computer and it had been
    >> decimated by viruses and other malware, and a reformat seemed the best
    >> option? Of course you would want as much input as possible from the
    >> computer owner (important information, location of files/folders,
    >> preferences, network settings, etc), but perhaps much of the
    >> responsibility of backing up the right stuff falls on you, as a
    >> computer power user. What are all the things we need to think about?
    >>
    >> Some obvious things that come to mind for me:
    >>
    >> Documents
    >> Images
    >> Music
    >> Video
    >> Bookmarks/Favorites
    >> Email
    >> Network settings (VPNs, wireless, fixed IPs, etc)
    >> Saved Games
    >> Preferences of specific programs
    >>
    >> I know there are many more considerations, and that's why I'm asking.
    >> Perhaps we can come up with a comprehensive checklist that we can all
    >> use.
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >>
    >> JM

    > When I'm working on someone else computer, the first thing I do is to
    > make a complete image of the hard drive, which I store on a local file
    > server.
    > If anything does go wrong at the least they get there computer back the
    > way it was given to me.
    >
    > some of the programs I use are:
    > Ghost
    > (www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/backup_recovery/ghost10/index.html)
    > the rescue disks are much more useful than the actual windows executable.
    >
    > True-Image
    > (www.acronis.com/promo/ATI/true-image-003.html?source=google&ad=ati&gclid=CIHG8Yyt4IICFS68EAodp1HYjA)
    >

    > and my 3rd option a Linux live CD, and do a disk dump over the network
    > to the file server (dd if=/dev/hda | ssh
    > /usr/bin/dd of=/directory/image.img) its best to pipe in some sort of
    > compression between the dump I prefer 7z (LZMA (www.7-zip.org))
    >
    > JD

    And if you do forget to back something up you can take it off of the image.

    I think what you have is sufficient:

    >> Documents
    >> Images
    >> Music
    >> Video
    >> Bookmarks/Favorites
    >> Email
    >> Network settings (VPNs, wireless, fixed IPs, etc)
    >> Saved Games
    >> Preferences of specific programs

    as it should be the end users job to back up anything they want to keep.

    JD

    JD, Jan 23, 2006
  4. JM

    bambam Guest

    "JM" <> wrote in

    > What is your method for backing up information prior to a hard drive
    > reformat? What if someone brought you their computer and it had been
    > decimated by viruses and other malware, and a reformat seemed the best
    > option? Of course you would want as much input as possible from the
    > computer owner (important information, location of files/folders,
    > preferences, network settings, etc), but perhaps much of the
    > responsibility of backing up the right stuff falls on you, as a
    > computer power user. What are all the things we need to think about?
    >
    > Some obvious things that come to mind for me:
    >
    > Documents
    > Images
    > Music
    > Video
    > Bookmarks/Favorites
    > Email
    > Network settings (VPNs, wireless, fixed IPs, etc)
    > Saved Games
    > Preferences of specific programs
    >
    > I know there are many more considerations, and that's why I'm asking.
    > Perhaps we can come up with a comprehensive checklist that we can all
    > use.

    Drivers?
    I like the following program, free and easy-

    http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006FILEUTILITIES.php#0845-PW

    Product Key

    bambam, Jan 23, 2006