Looking for Information on Point of Sale for Computer Repair Shop

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bob Bob, Feb 25, 2009.

  1. Bob Bob

    Bob Bob Guest

    Hello

    I am looking to use some proven methodology for over the counter sales
    of product and services. Currently, the practices are at best, shoddy,
    and I want to clean it up.

    I am thinking of UPC Scanning ala Lowe's/Home Depot so as to both
    prepare invoices and keep inventory using QuickBooks, which I already
    use. However, QBks is not mandatory.

    It appears that the sales and bookkeeping ends at times require more
    knowledge and time than does the actual shop work.

    Credit cards are processed in about 1/2 the sales.

    I think that, if each item is bar coded with a price and each service is
    bar coded similarly, then the reader could just scan the tags and feed
    the data directly into Quick Books which would then produce an invoice
    which the customer would pay. Somehow this seems like it would work.

    Others tell me to keep an old fashioned paper log/invoice and bar code
    scan the 'invoices' at the end of the day thus simplifying both processes.

    Of course, each new customers' information would have to be entered
    either way.

    I just want to get hold of the processes and stay out of trouble. The
    daily average number of customers is between 5 and 10.

    If anyone knows either a way to do this or of a site that deals with
    what I am looking for, I would appreciate and and all insight.

    I have sent a request for information to Windward which seems like it
    would be tailor made but may be out of the cost range for
    me(http://computerstorepos.wws5.com).

    Thanks for the time and trouble.

    Bob

    Bob Bob, Feb 25, 2009

  2. Bob Bob

    Bob Bob Guest

    Re: Looking for Information on Point of Sale for Computer RepairShop

    richard wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:31:10 -0500, Bob Bob
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I am looking to use some proven methodology for over the counter sales
    >> of product and services. Currently, the practices are at best, shoddy,
    >> and I want to clean it up.
    >>
    >> I am thinking of UPC Scanning ala Lowe's/Home Depot so as to both
    >> prepare invoices and keep inventory using QuickBooks, which I already
    >> use. However, QBks is not mandatory.
    >>
    >> It appears that the sales and bookkeeping ends at times require more
    >> knowledge and time than does the actual shop work.
    >>
    >> Credit cards are processed in about 1/2 the sales.
    >>
    >> I think that, if each item is bar coded with a price and each service is
    >> bar coded similarly, then the reader could just scan the tags and feed
    >> the data directly into Quick Books which would then produce an invoice
    >> which the customer would pay. Somehow this seems like it would work.
    >>
    >> Others tell me to keep an old fashioned paper log/invoice and bar code
    >> scan the 'invoices' at the end of the day thus simplifying both processes.
    >>
    >> Of course, each new customers' information would have to be entered
    >> either way.
    >>
    >> I just want to get hold of the processes and stay out of trouble. The
    >> daily average number of customers is between 5 and 10.
    >>
    >> If anyone knows either a way to do this or of a site that deals with
    >> what I am looking for, I would appreciate and and all insight.
    >>
    >> I have sent a request for information to Windward which seems like it
    >> would be tailor made but may be out of the cost range for
    >> me(http://computerstorepos.wws5.com).
    >>
    >> Thanks for the time and trouble.
    >>
    >> Bob

    > 10 customers a day and you can't handle that with a standard notebook
    > and a pen?
    >
    > Perhaps what you need is a more modern cash register that can generate
    > the reports for you.

    It is not that it cannot be handled, but in a one person shop it seems
    to not get done properly. The cash register is a good idea and one that
    I had not thought of. I currently just use a cash drawer keeping manual
    paper records putting the data into Quick Books each night. Preparing
    invoices via Quick Books is not the easiest when someone is waiting--for
    new customers at least.
    Sometimes it appears that I force QB to work instead of using it as a
    tool. The bar code thing along with a smart register may do the deed. I
    would still have to deal with something like QB though.
    Thanks for the follow up.
    Bob

    Bob Bob, Feb 26, 2009