Looking for info on "AVENGERS" TV Series

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by tabernacle2002@hotmail.com, Nov 7, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Having just finished my acquisition of two more TV series (Gilligans
    Island & Twilight Zone) and seeing the end of the MASH TV series now
    coming into sight (with season #9 just about to come out) I am now
    looking to start the acquisition process on two or three more TV series
    (I do them 4 or 5 at a time depending on series size, which saves me
    from losing focus on going after too many TV series to quickly)?

    Which brings me to the topic at hand namely the Avengers and New
    Avengers TV series (which are put out by A&E), and which from first
    look to last look seems to me to be simply an overpriced MESS!

    While the two seasons of the "New Avengers" look to me to be straight
    up season #1 & #2 box sets (with the only objection being on my part a
    high sticker price) The Blackman/Rigg/Thorson/McGee Years look to me to
    be not only overpriced (by at least 40%), but as well a mess in the way
    they were put out (from the first 1963 Set #1 Volume 1&2 to the last
    1968 Set #5 Volume 9&10)!

    So with that said can anyone out there who has them (or is in the act
    of getting them) please tell me if it is as bad as it looks to me on
    the outside looking in?

    I mean at this point in time I am looking at maybe picking up the New
    Avengers series first, and then maybe picking up the Emma Peel Mega Set
    as a core to build on, and then picking up the rest of the series a set
    or a volume at a time as they come onsale on Ebay in the coming months
    and or years (or if I pick them up from another source) on the cheap?

    , Nov 7, 2005

  2. wrote:

    > I mean at this point in time I am looking at maybe picking up the New
    > Avengers series first, and then maybe picking up the Emma Peel Mega Set
    > as a core to build on, and then picking up the rest of the series a set
    > or a volume at a time as they come onsale on Ebay in the coming months
    > and or years (or if I pick them up from another source) on the cheap?

    You can save a pile by skipping the Blackman years--
    Back when the BBC still had to do live B/W television, and we get
    "Avengers: the Soap Opera".

    Can't go wrong with the Emma Peel years (once they went to film), jump
    in anywhere--
    Although the core of the good episodes are all found in the blue '67 set.

    Derek Janssen (and do we really *need* New Avengers??)

    Derek Janssen, Nov 7, 2005

  3. wrote:

    >Having just finished my acquisition of two more TV series (Gilligans
    >Island & Twilight Zone) and seeing the end of the MASH TV series now
    >coming into sight (with season #9 just about to come out) I am now
    >looking to start the acquisition process on two or three more TV series
    >(I do them 4 or 5 at a time depending on series size, which saves me
    >from losing focus on going after too many TV series to quickly)?
    >
    >Which brings me to the topic at hand namely the Avengers and New
    >Avengers TV series (which are put out by A&E), and which from first
    >look to last look seems to me to be simply an overpriced MESS!
    >
    >While the two seasons of the "New Avengers" look to me to be straight
    >up season #1 & #2 box sets (with the only objection being on my part a
    >high sticker price) The Blackman/Rigg/Thorson/McGee Years look to me to
    >be not only overpriced (by at least 40%), but as well a mess in the way
    >they were put out (from the first 1963 Set #1 Volume 1&2 to the last
    >1968 Set #5 Volume 9&10)!
    >
    >So with that said can anyone out there who has them (or is in the act
    >of getting them) please tell me if it is as bad as it looks to me on
    >the outside looking in?
    >
    >I mean at this point in time I am looking at maybe picking up the New
    >Avengers series first, and then maybe picking up the Emma Peel Mega Set
    >as a core to build on, and then picking up the rest of the series a set
    >or a volume at a time as they come onsale on Ebay in the coming months
    >and or years (or if I pick them up from another source) on the cheap?

    I am a big fan of The Avengers and watch them all the time when
    they're on tv. Bravo (in Canada) aired the whole series some years
    back. I bought 5 dvd's on eBay, three from the 1966 series and two
    from the 1967 series, and they were only 5$ each i think. maybe you
    should scout around eBay instead of getting the A&E sets if you think
    they're overpriced.

    As a fan, i can tell you that "The New Avengers" series is more like
    the way the Avengers used to be before they started to make the series
    a tongue-in-cheek spy drama. The very early years with Honor Blackman
    were the best IMHO. True, dyed-in-the-wool espionage drama. And
    live. Then along came Mrs. Peel, and for the first ten or so
    episodes, they played it straight, but after that it was no longer a
    drama per se, but more of them having fun while solving mysteries.
    Still very entertaining, but nothing like the originals. My advice to
    you is to begin with the original black&white live series and the
    early black&white Mrs. Peel series, 1966 volumes 1-2-3 to get a feel
    of what the show was really like before it went downhill somewhat.

    A bit of trivia, maybe you already know, the origin of Mrs. Peel's
    name: the producers wanted to add some zing to the series after Honor
    Blackman left, they wanted to attract male viewers, they needed
    man-appeal. When they auditioned people, the notation they used was
    M-appeal. And that became the name of the new character, Emma Peel.

    And if you really like this spy stuff from old black&white British TV,
    make sure you get the "Secret Agent" series with Patrick McGoohan.
    It's really and truly a great honest-to-goodness espionage series.
    There are 47 episodes in the series.

    PL
    Paul LEFEBVRE
    londonpaul@*removethis*sympatico.ca
    My book is now available on Amazon.com. Visit my website for the link.
    http://www.geocities.com/joeyp99

    Paul LEFEBVRE, Nov 8, 2005
  4. Paul LEFEBVRE wrote:

    > And if you really like this spy stuff from old black&white British TV,
    > make sure you get the "Secret Agent" series with Patrick McGoohan.
    > It's really and truly a great honest-to-goodness espionage series.
    > There are 47 episodes in the series.

    Especially if you're aware that McGoohan's John Drake was unofficially
    considered to be the "real" No.6 from "The Prisoner" (McG just refused
    to admit it because he was disgruntled with the later "Danger"/"Secret"
    series and didn't want the typecasting), and the same modus-operandi
    methods still show--
    Taken as a Prisoner "prequel", it may be too 60's-spy escapist, but it's
    got the stuff. :)

    Derek Janssen (and if you're not up on A&E's "Prisoner"...oh, man)

    Derek Janssen, Nov 8, 2005
  5. John Howells Guest

    "Paul LEFEBVRE" <londonpaul@*removethis*sympatico.ca> wrote

    > And if you really like this spy stuff from old black&white British TV,
    > make sure you get the "Secret Agent" series with Patrick McGoohan.
    > It's really and truly a great honest-to-goodness espionage series.
    > There are 47 episodes in the series.

    Only if you ignore the first 39 half hour episodes in the "Danger Man"
    series, the UK title for all 86 episodes of the complete oeuvre.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Nov 8, 2005
  6. Guest

    Paul LEFEBVRE wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Having just finished my acquisition of two more TV series (Gilligans
    > >Island & Twilight Zone) and seeing the end of the MASH TV series now
    > >coming into sight (with season #9 just about to come out) I am now
    > >looking to start the acquisition process on two or three more TV series
    > >(I do them 4 or 5 at a time depending on series size, which saves me
    > >from losing focus on going after too many TV series to quickly)?
    > >
    > >Which brings me to the topic at hand namely the Avengers and New
    > >Avengers TV series (which are put out by A&E), and which from first
    > >look to last look seems to me to be simply an overpriced MESS!
    > >
    > >While the two seasons of the "New Avengers" look to me to be straight
    > >up season #1 & #2 box sets (with the only objection being on my part a
    > >high sticker price) The Blackman/Rigg/Thorson/McGee Years look to me to
    > >be not only overpriced (by at least 40%), but as well a mess in the way
    > >they were put out (from the first 1963 Set #1 Volume 1&2 to the last
    > >1968 Set #5 Volume 9&10)!
    > >
    > >So with that said can anyone out there who has them (or is in the act
    > >of getting them) please tell me if it is as bad as it looks to me on
    > >the outside looking in?
    > >
    > >I mean at this point in time I am looking at maybe picking up the New
    > >Avengers series first, and then maybe picking up the Emma Peel Mega Set
    > >as a core to build on, and then picking up the rest of the series a set
    > >or a volume at a time as they come onsale on Ebay in the coming months
    > >and or years (or if I pick them up from another source) on the cheap?

    > I am a big fan of The Avengers and watch them all the time when
    > they're on tv. Bravo (in Canada) aired the whole series some years
    > back. I bought 5 dvd's on eBay, three from the 1966 series and two
    > from the 1967 series, and they were only 5$ each i think. maybe you
    > should scout around eBay instead of getting the A&E sets if you think
    > they're overpriced.
    >
    > As a fan, i can tell you that "The New Avengers" series is more like
    > the way the Avengers used to be before they started to make the series
    > a tongue-in-cheek spy drama.

    The show was good but my main interest in the New Avengers had and
    still has to do more with the fact that I am a big Joanna
    Lumley(Purdey) fan than the show itself!
    And in fact I feel that she would most likely have made a better Tara
    King than Linda Thorson did and might have kept TOS going a season or
    two longer?

    The very early years with Honor Blackman
    > were the best IMHO. True, dyed-in-the-wool espionage drama.

    God I loved her in Goldfinger,which when combined with the main villan
    and Odd Job made it IMHO the best Bond movie ever made!

    And
    > live. Then along came Mrs. Peel, and for the first ten or so
    > episodes, they played it straight, but after that it was no longer a
    > drama per se, but more of them having fun while solving mysteries.
    > Still very entertaining, but nothing like the originals. My advice to
    > you is to begin with the original black&white live series and the
    > early black&white Mrs. Peel series, 1966 volumes 1-2-3 to get a feel
    > of what the show was really like before it went downhill somewhat.

    Funny but I prefer the B&W episodes that Rigg was in over the color
    ones...Maybe it had more to do with the fact that the best of the best
    episodes like "A Touch Of Brimstone""The House That Jack Built" "Honey
    For The Prince""The Cybernauts" and half a dozen others were shot in
    B&W and maybe they would have been even better in color?

    > A bit of trivia, maybe you already know, the origin of Mrs. Peel's
    > name: the producers wanted to add some zing to the series after Honor
    > Blackman left, they wanted to attract male viewers, they needed
    > man-appeal. When they auditioned people, the notation they used was
    > M-appeal. And that became the name of the new character, Emma Peel.
    >
    > And if you really like this spy stuff from old black&white British TV,
    > make sure you get the "Secret Agent" series with Patrick McGoohan.
    > It's really and truly a great honest-to-goodness espionage series.
    > There are 47 episodes in the series.

    Man thats an Oldie! Been years since I saw it although I hear the song
    every once in awhile on the radio.

    > PL
    > Paul LEFEBVRE
    > londonpaul@*removethis*sympatico.ca
    > My book is now available on Amazon.com. Visit my website for the link.
    > http://www.geocities.com/joeyp99

    , Nov 9, 2005
  7. Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:
    > Paul LEFEBVRE wrote:
    >
    > > And if you really like this spy stuff from old black&white British TV,
    > > make sure you get the "Secret Agent" series with Patrick McGoohan.
    > > It's really and truly a great honest-to-goodness espionage series.
    > > There are 47 episodes in the series.

    > Especially if you're aware that McGoohan's John Drake was unofficially
    > considered to be the "real" No.6 from "The Prisoner" (McG just refused
    > to admit it because he was disgruntled with the later "Danger"/"Secret"
    > series and didn't want the typecasting), and the same modus-operandi
    > methods still show--
    > Taken as a Prisoner "prequel", it may be too 60's-spy escapist, but it's
    > got the stuff. :)

    Loved the opening theme songs for both of them series!

    You know I wonder if that is why we never got to know No.6's real name
    and if he was really guilty or not? And why it ran for only a season as
    maybe it was kinda like what McGoohan meant to do from the start in
    order for it to be a final ending to the Danger Man TV series like so
    he could finally move on to other roles?

    BTW I would really love to see them make an updated version of The
    Prisoner (with Gary Oldman as 6) with say a Matrix like or a Brazil
    like feel to it?

  8. Andrew Venor Guest

    wrote:

    > Derek Janssen wrote:
    >
    >>Paul LEFEBVRE wrote:
    >>

    >>>And if you really like this spy stuff from old black&white British TV,
    >>>make sure you get the "Secret Agent" series with Patrick McGoohan.
    >>>It's really and truly a great honest-to-goodness espionage series.
    >>>There are 47 episodes in the series.

    >>Especially if you're aware that McGoohan's John Drake was unofficially
    >>considered to be the "real" No.6 from "The Prisoner" (McG just refused
    >>to admit it because he was disgruntled with the later "Danger"/"Secret"
    >>series and didn't want the typecasting), and the same modus-operandi
    >>methods still show--
    >>Taken as a Prisoner "prequel", it may be too 60's-spy escapist, but it's
    >>got the stuff. :)
    >>

    > Loved the opening theme songs for both of them series!
    >
    > You know I wonder if that is why we never got to know No.6's real name
    > and if he was really guilty or not? And why it ran for only a season as
    > maybe it was kinda like what McGoohan meant to do from the start in
    > order for it to be a final ending to the Danger Man TV series like so
    > he could finally move on to other roles?
    >
    > BTW I would really love to see them make an updated version of The
    > Prisoner (with Gary Oldman as 6) with say a Matrix like or a Brazil
    > like feel to it?
    >

    >>Derek Janssen (and if you're not up on A&E's "Prisoner"...oh, man)

    In the body swapping episode Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling didn't
    Number 6 check is signature by signing his name as John Drake?

    ALV

    Andrew Venor, Nov 9, 2005
  9. "John Howells" <> wrote:

    >"Paul LEFEBVRE" <londonpaul@*removethis*sympatico.ca> wrote
    >
    >> And if you really like this spy stuff from old black&white British TV,
    >> make sure you get the "Secret Agent" series with Patrick McGoohan.
    >> It's really and truly a great honest-to-goodness espionage series.
    >> There are 47 episodes in the series.

    >Only if you ignore the first 39 half hour episodes in the "Danger Man"
    >series, the UK title for all 86 episodes of the complete oeuvre.
    >
    >John Howells

    Gee, I didn't know that. The only episodes I've seen on Bravo
    (canada) are the hour-long ones. Thanks for clueing me in, I'm going
    to hunt around to see if the half-hour shows are available somewhere.
    Did you see them? Were they any good?

    PL

    Paul LEFEBVRE
    londonpaul@*removethis*sympatico.ca
    My book is now available on Amazon.com and other online booksellers, and at your favorite bookstore.
    Visit my website for the link to the Amazon.com listing.
    http://www.geocities.com/joeyp99

    Paul LEFEBVRE, Nov 9, 2005
  10. jayembee Guest

    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> I mean at this point in time I am looking at maybe picking up the New
    >> Avengers series first, and then maybe picking up the Emma Peel Mega Set
    >> as a core to build on, and then picking up the rest of the series a set
    >> or a volume at a time as they come onsale on Ebay in the coming months
    >> and or years (or if I pick them up from another source) on the cheap?

    > You can save a pile by skipping the Blackman years--
    > Back when the BBC still had to do live B/W television, and we get
    > "Avengers: the Soap Opera".

    I disagree. There's a crudity to the production, but I like them a *lot* better
    than the Linda Thorson episodes.

    > Derek Janssen (and do we really *need* New Avengers??)

    For a young Joanna Lumley? Yeah, you betcha.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Nov 9, 2005
  11. Guest

    Andrew Venor wrote:
    > wrote:
    > >
    > > Derek Janssen wrote:

    > >>Especially if you're aware that McGoohan's John Drake was unofficially
    > >>considered to be the "real" No.6 from "The Prisoner" (McG just refused
    > >>to admit it because he was disgruntled with the later "Danger"/"Secret"
    > >>series and didn't want the typecasting), and the same modus-operandi
    > >>methods still show--
    > >>Taken as a Prisoner "prequel", it may be too 60's-spy escapist, but it's
    > >>got the stuff. :)
    > >>

    > > Loved the opening theme songs for both of them series!
    > >
    > > You know I wonder if that is why we never got to know No.6's real name
    > > and if he was really guilty or not? And why it ran for only a season as
    > > maybe it was kinda like what McGoohan meant to do from the start in
    > > order for it to be a final ending to the Danger Man TV series like so
    > > he could finally move on to other roles?
    > >
    > > BTW I would really love to see them make an updated version of The
    > > Prisoner (with Gary Oldman as 6) with say a Matrix like or a Brazil
    > > like feel to it?
    > >

    > >>Derek Janssen (and if you're not up on A&E's "Prisoner"...oh, man)
    > >>

    > In the body swapping episode Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling didn't
    > Number 6 check is signature by signing his name as John Drake?
    >
    > ALV

    Wish I had the DVD set so I could check it out(it has been years since
    I saw it last).

    Nice thing about shows and movies being on DVD is you can freeze frame
    clearly, then blowup the image to see all them little things that
    flashed by so fast you did not have a chance to see anything
    clearly!Especially on a TV broadcast that most likely is using wornout
    prints sliced and diced and speeded up in order to jam in more ads!

    , Nov 9, 2005