    not have cost more $10 to manufacture. All I really need is some way to
    snap the shutter on my signal when I am 20 feet away. Any suggestions?
    , Nov 9, 2005

  2. Charles Guest

    On 8 Nov 2005 19:36:57 -0800, wrote:

    >I am looking for a wireless remote control for the Canon 20D, but what
    >I have found so far cost more than $100, and hardly anyone sells
    >wireless remotes. This seems ridiculous to me, because my old Olympus
    >C-3040 had a sufficient IR remote that came with the camera and could
    >not have cost more $10 to manufacture. All I really need is some way to
    >snap the shutter on my signal when I am 20 feet away. Any suggestions?

    Does the 20D support the same electrical release that the rebel and xt
    do? If so, get one of those, or make one, and get an extention cable
    from Radio shack. It won't be wireless but it will work.
    Charles, Nov 9, 2005

  3. railfan Guest

    Charles wrote:
    > On 8 Nov 2005 19:36:57 -0800, wrote:
    >
    > Does the 20D support the same electrical release that the rebel and xt
    > do? If so, get one of those, or make one, and get an extention cable
    > from Radio shack. It won't be wireless but it will work.

    Another cheapo idea for a wired remote that works on the Rebel and
    Rebel XT - pick up a "hands free" kit for a cellphone. The type that
    comes with an ear bud, an inline microphone, an inline on-off switch,
    and a mini stereo plug at the far end. Cut off the wire going to the
    ear bud and microphone, just leaving the on-off switch, a length of
    wire and the mini plug. This plug fits into the socket of the cameras
    and works as a wired remote.

    Of course its only about a foot long, but extension cords for portable
    CD player headphones and the like should be able to extend the
    difference. I haven't tried the extension with my Rebels, but the
    basic cord and switch does work. Best of all the hands free set was
    picked up at a local dollar store!

    Bob Boudreau
    Canada
    railfan, Nov 9, 2005
  4. Arnold Guest

    Just out of interest, why do you want a wireless remote control? When would
    you use it?

    Arnold, Nov 9, 2005
  5. Anabella M. Guest

    Sorry Bob, nice idea, I tried it already and it doesn't work because the
    plug, like you said, is a mini-stereo-plug, and the jack on the 20D is a
    proprietary N3 socket which Canon is the sole manufacturer. The N3
    connector cannot be sourced anywhere that I know of and I've searched
    long and large all my electronics parts suppliers.

    However, it does work really great for those older cameras that have the
    mini-plug socket, such as the older EOS.

    Regards, Anabella M.

    --
    Anabella M.

    .....it's better to have loved and lost
    than to have never seen "Lost in Space"!
    --Kelly Bundy
    Anabella M., Nov 9, 2005
  6. Mike Warren Guest

    Arnold wrote:
    > Just out of interest, why do you want a wireless remote control?
    > When would you use it?

    I've got one for my D70s. It's really handy if you want to be in the
    picture and don't want to stand around for 10 seconds waiting for
    the timer.

    --
    Mike Warren
    My web gallery: http://web.aanet.com.au/miwa/mike
    Mike Warren, Nov 9, 2005
  7. Guest

    Mike Warren wrote:
    > Arnold wrote:
    > > Just out of interest, why do you want a wireless remote control?
    > > When would you use it?

    > I've got one for my D70s. It's really handy if you want to be in the
    > picture and don't want to stand around for 10 seconds waiting for
    > the timer.

    What he said.

    >From time-to-time, I like to take pictures of myself. Maybe I'm posing

    next to something, or pointing out something, or maybe I just want to
    take my picture (one of my favorite effects is to take a series of
    shots with the camera locked down while I pose all over the image
    field). Sometimes, I even manage to get a group of people together, and
    I want to take my picture with them. There isn't always someone else
    around to push the button.
    , Nov 9, 2005
  8. Guest

    wrote:
    > Mike Warren wrote:
    > > Arnold wrote:
    > > > Just out of interest, why do you want a wireless remote control?
    > > > When would you use it?

    > > I've got one for my D70s. It's really handy if you want to be in the
    > > picture and don't want to stand around for 10 seconds waiting for
    > > the timer.

    > What he said.
    >
    > >From time-to-time, I like to take pictures of myself. Maybe I'm posing

    > next to something, or pointing out something, or maybe I just want to
    > take my picture (one of my favorite effects is to take a series of
    > shots with the camera locked down while I pose all over the image
    > field). Sometimes, I even manage to get a group of people together, and
    > I want to take my picture with them. There isn't always someone else
    > around to push the button.

    Oh, yes, I also use the remote when I am busy with something else and I
    can't reach my camera, or I don't want to introduce camera shake.

    For example, I like to take photos while I am driving. I like it even
    more when I can keep both hands on my vehicle's controls. A remote is
    handy for triggering my (tripod-mounted) camera without having to
    fumble with it.

    I also like to take night shots. It is recommended by the manufacturer
    that night shots be triggered by a remote control. In Canon's case,
    this means using a cable remote. But, a wireless remote would work
    well, too.
    , Nov 9, 2005
  9. Arnold Guest

    Surely the Canon timer remote does all this?

    Arnold, Nov 10, 2005