    If anyone can recommend any others along these lines, I'd appreciate
    it. Thanks!

    , Feb 23, 2005

  2. Nick Guest

    umm not sure if this is relevant but 70's horror - try the two Dr Phibes
    films and Theatre of Blood - humour horror!

    Nick, Feb 23, 2005

  3. soinie Guest

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:47:37 -0000, "Nick"
    <> wrote:

    >umm not sure if this is relevant but 70's horror - try the two Dr Phibes
    >films and Theatre of Blood - humour horror!
    >

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Anyone have any suggestions for some good old 70's and 80's horror
    >> movies that kind of have a "Night Gallery" feel to them?
    >> (Kind of a dark, brooding terror that slowly builds). If anyone
    >> saw the pilot to Night Gallery and saw the segment with Roddy
    >> McDowall and the painting, that's the type of movie I'm looking for.
    >>

    >> I've got:
    >>
    >> Burnt Offerings
    >> The Changeling
    >> The Legend Of Hell House
    >> The Night Stalker/Night Strangler
    >>

    >> If anyone can recommend any others along these lines, I'd appreciate
    >> it. Thanks!

    I saw The NightStalker at J&R. Are you in NYC?

    soinie, Feb 23, 2005
  4. Joe McC Guest

    > <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone have any suggestions for some good old 70's and 80's horror
    >> movies that kind of have a "Night Gallery" feel to them?
    >> (Kind of a dark, brooding terror that slowly builds). If anyone
    >> saw the pilot to Night Gallery and saw the segment with Roddy
    >> McDowall and the painting, that's the type of movie I'm looking for.
    >>

    >> I've got:
    >>
    >> Burnt Offerings
    >> The Changeling
    >> The Legend Of Hell House
    >> The Night Stalker/Night Strangler
    >>

    >> If anyone can recommend any others along these lines, I'd appreciate
    >> it. Thanks!

    The 70s were awash with some great horror flicks with a growing sense of
    dread/foreboding. Can't guarantee all of those listed are currently
    available, but try:

    The Mephisto Waltz
    The Dark Secret of Harvest Home
    The Norliss Tapes
    The Evil, aka House of Evil
    Phase IV
    The Keep
    Trilogy of Terror
    The Hearse
    Something Evil
    The Manitou
    Haunted (1995)
    Halloween 3: Season of The Witch
    Dark Night of The Scarecrow
    The Legacy
    Death Ship
    Daughters of Satan
    Death at Love House
    The Reincarnation of Peter Proud
    Eye of The Cat
    The Devil's Rain
    The Haunting of Julia, aka Full Circle
    The Car
    Watcher in the Woods
    Evil Stalks This House
    Beyond Evil
    Summer of Fear, aka Stranger in Our House
    Ruby, (1977)
    Deadly Blessing
    The Lottery, (1969)
    Satan's School for Girls, (1974)
    The Initiation of Sarah
    Unman, Wittering & Zigo
    Don't Go To Sleep
    Encounter With The Unknown, (1973)
    The Spell
    The Shout
    The Medusa Touch

    And a clutch of very eerie Australian Horror movies:

    Patrick (1978)
    The Long Weekend
    The Last Wave
    Picnic at Hanging Rock

    Going back a little further, there's always:

    Curse of the Demon, aka Night of the Demon
    Night of the Eagle
    Seconds
    The Haunting (1963)
    Rosemary's Baby

    Good luck tracking some of these down!

    Joe

    Joe McC, Feb 23, 2005
  5. Nick wrote:

    >>Anyone have any suggestions for some good old 70's and 80's horror
    >>movies that kind of have a "Night Gallery" feel to them?

    (A....Night...) 0_o??

    >>(Kind of a dark, brooding terror that slowly builds). If anyone
    >>saw the pilot to Night Gallery and saw the segment with Roddy
    >>McDowall and the painting, that's the type of movie I'm looking for.

    (...OHHhhh!--Kinda confused us, there, since the series was a mess and
    never got any better than the pilot movie--)

    >>I've got:
    >>
    >>Burnt Offerings
    >>The Changeling
    >>The Legend Of Hell House
    >>The Night Stalker/Night Strangler

    > umm not sure if this is relevant but 70's horror - try the two Dr Phibes
    > films and Theatre of Blood - humour horror!

    Not exactly "dark", "brooding" or "slowly building", but highly
    rentable. :)

    Keeping within stated boundaries, for some odd reasons the '81 "Ghost
    Story" and "Something Wicked This Way Comes" were the only period titles
    that came up for slow-cooked horror--
    As for anything more recent...hey, I LIKED "Blair Witch Project"!--Be
    interesting to see how it plays nowadays, with a generation that wasn't
    in the "betrayed" '99 torches-and-pitchforks theater mob.

    Derek Janssen (also, anything by M. Night Shamalyan that doesn't have
    "Village" in the title)

    Derek Janssen, Feb 23, 2005
  6. Mac Breck Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > Nick wrote:
    >
    > >>Anyone have any suggestions for some good old 70's and 80's horror
    > >>movies that kind of have a "Night Gallery" feel to them?

    > (A....Night...) 0_o??
    >
    > >>(Kind of a dark, brooding terror that slowly builds). If anyone
    > >>saw the pilot to Night Gallery and saw the segment with Roddy
    > >>McDowall and the painting, that's the type of movie I'm looking for.

    > (...OHHhhh!--Kinda confused us, there, since the series was a mess and
    > never got any better than the pilot movie--)
    >
    > >>I've got:
    > >>
    > >>Burnt Offerings
    > >>The Changeling

    Always wanted to see The Changeling.

    > >>The Legend Of Hell House
    > >>The Night Stalker/Night Strangler

    Kolchak, always a favorite. <g> Have "Night Stalker" on tape. I'll
    have to check out the DVDs of all of these.

    > > umm not sure if this is relevant but 70's horror - try the two Dr

    Phibes
    > > films and Theatre of Blood - humour horror!

    > Not exactly "dark", "brooding" or "slowly building", but highly
    > rentable. :)

    Along those lines of humour horror... "Needful Things."

    > Keeping within stated boundaries, for some odd reasons the '81 "Ghost
    > Story" and "Something Wicked This Way Comes" were the only period

    titles
    > that came up for slow-cooked horror--

    Good ones. <g>

    How about:

    Salem's Lot (1979)

    "Storm of the Century" (1999) (mini)
    aka "Stephen King's Storm of the Century"

    ....and not really a "horror" story, but still a good "ghost" story

    The Forgotten One (1990).
    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0099601/usercomments

    --
    Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC
    -------------------------------

    "Brimstone" (1998)
    The Devil: Nobody beats the Devil. Are you listening? Did you hear what
    I said, Mr. Stone? Nobody beats the Devil.
    Ezekiel Stone: So you keep telling me. <enjoying his Reggie Bar> Go to
    Hell...<smiles and pushes the Down button on the elevator> ...please.

    Mac Breck, Feb 24, 2005
  7. Mac Breck Guest

    "Joe McC" <> wrote in message

    > The 70s were awash with some great horror flicks with a growing sense

    of
    > dread/foreboding. Can't guarantee all of those listed are currently
    > available, but try:

    snip

    > Halloween 3: Season of The Witch

    You're kidding, right? That one was absolutely awful.

    Mac Breck, Feb 24, 2005
  8. Joe McC Guest

    "Mac Breck" <> wrote in message
    > "Joe McC" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> The 70s were awash with some great horror flicks with a growing sense

    > of
    >> dread/foreboding. Can't guarantee all of those listed are currently
    >> available, but try:

    > snip
    >
    >> Halloween 3: Season of The Witch

    > You're kidding, right? That one was absolutely awful.

    Heh heh, I assume since you snipped the other 40 odd movies listed that you
    approve of those ones?

    But yeah...deadly serious. That bloody haunting jingle, our heros thwarted
    at every turn......and just what in the name of John Carpenter was actually
    going on INSIDE those masks?

    Watch it with fresh eyes & then tell me you don't think it had a sense of
    dread about it. (cue jokes here).

    Joe

    Joe McC, Feb 24, 2005
  9. TB Guest

    wrote:
    > Anyone have any suggestions for some good old 70's and 80's horror
    > movies that kind of have a "Night Gallery" feel to them?
    > (Kind of a dark, brooding terror that slowly builds). If anyone
    > saw the pilot to Night Gallery and saw the segment with Roddy
    > McDowall and the painting, that's the type of movie I'm looking for.
    >

    > I've got:
    >
    > Burnt Offerings
    > The Changeling
    > The Legend Of Hell House
    > The Night Stalker/Night Strangler

    Some picks that are probably close to what you're looking for:

    The Dunwich Horror
    The Manitou
    Count Yorga (and the sequel)
    Grave of the Vampire (hard to find on dvd but worth a look)
    The Fury
    The Amityville Horror
    The Omen
    To The Devil... A Daughter
    Angel Heart
    Ghost Story

    T.B.

    TB, Feb 24, 2005
  10. Mac Breck Guest

    "Joe McC" <> wrote in message

    > "Mac Breck" <> wrote in message
    > > "Joe McC" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> The 70s were awash with some great horror flicks with a growing

    sense
    > > of
    > >> dread/foreboding. Can't guarantee all of those listed are currently
    > >> available, but try:

    > > snip
    > >
    > >> Halloween 3: Season of The Witch

    > > You're kidding, right? That one was absolutely awful.

    > Heh heh, I assume since you snipped the other 40 odd movies listed

    that you
    > approve of those ones?

    Agree with:

    The Keep
    Trilogy of Terror (think I have that on VHS, ...somewhere)

    Haven't seen the rest, although "Something Evil" has Darren McGavin, so
    it can't be all bad. Unfortunately, it's not available on anything
    (DVD, VHS, or Laserdisc).

    > But yeah...deadly serious. That bloody haunting jingle, our heros

    thwarted
    > at every turn......and just what in the name of John Carpenter was

    actually
    > going on INSIDE those masks?

    It's tied for low point of John Carpenter's career (with Ghosts of Mars
    (2001)). It's one of the few I gave a "1" (bad rating) on IMDb.
    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0085636/

    For some background, here's my IMDb Vote History:

    Sorted by Name, DVD, Highest to Lowest Score

    My Vote, IMDb Avg.

    Babylon 5: A Call to Arms (1999) (TV) 10, 6.6
    Babylon 5: In the Beginning (1998) (TV) 10, 7.2
    Bill Cosby: Himself (1983) 10, 7.7
    Blade Runner (1982) 10, 8.2
    Christmas Vacation (1989) 10, 6.9
    Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982) 10, 6.5
    The Dead Zone (1983) 10, 7.2
    Gladiator (2000) 10, 8.0
    The Green Mile (1999) 10, 8.1
    Halloween (1978) 10, 7.7
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) 10, 8.0
    It's a Wonderful Life (1946) 10, 8.6
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) 10, 8.8
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) 10, 9.0
    The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) 10, 8.8
    The Matrix (1999) 10, 8.5
    The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! (1988) 10, 7.4
    The Patriot (2000) 10, 6.8
    The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976) 10, 6.9
    Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) 10, 8.6
    Ronin (1998) 10, 7.0
    Salem's Lot (1979) (TV) 10, 6.3
    The Thing From Another World (1951) 10, 7.5
    The Thing (1982) 10, 7.8
    Young Frankenstein (1974) 10, 8.0
    Always (1989) 9, 6.2
    A Christmas Carol (1938) 9, 7.3
    A Christmas Carol (1984/I) (TV) 9, 7.3
    A Christmas Story (1983) 9, 8.1
    Dracula: Dead and Loving It (1995) 9, 4.6
    Gleason (2002) (TV) 9, 6.4
    The Last Samurai (2003) 9, 7.9
    Needful Things (1993) 9, 5.7
    One Magic Christmas (1985) 9, 5.8
    The Replacement Killers (1998) 9, 5.8
    Scrooge (1951) 9, 8.0
    Scrooged (1988) 9, 6.5
    What Lies Beneath (2000) 9, 6.6
    X-Men (2000) 9, 7.3
    Along Came a Spider (2001) 8, 6.1
    Babylon 5: The Gathering (1993) (TV) 8, 6.1
    Dead Bang (1989) 8, 5.3
    The Forgotten One (1990) 8, 6.0
    Guilty as Sin (1993) 8, 5.4
    Halloween II (1981) 8, 5.6
    Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man (1991) 8, 4.8
    Hexed (1993) 8, 4.5
    The Hot Spot (1990/I) 8, 6.2
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) 8, 7.2
    Mission to Mars (2000) 8, 4.9
    Night of the Living Dead (1990) 8, 6.1
    Payback (1999) 8, 6.8
    Red Planet (2000) 8, 5.3
    The Shipping News (2001) 8, 6.9
    The Sum of All Fears (2002) 8, 6.6
    Tremors (1990) 8, 6.9
    "Battlestar Galactica" (2003) (mini) 7, 7.1
    Hard Target (1993) 7, 5.4
    Heartbreakers (2001) 7, 6.2
    Last Action Hero (1993) 7, 5.4
    Babylon 5: The River of Souls (1998) (TV) 6, 6.0
    Babylon 5: Thirdspace (1998) (TV) 5, 6.3
    Enterprise: Broken Bow (2001) (TV) 5, 6.3
    American Beauty (1999) 4, 8.5
    Dracula (1992) 4, 7.1
    Tremors II: Aftershocks (1996) (V) 4, 5.2
    American Pie (1999) 3, 6.8
    Dark City (1998) 3, 7.6
    Tremors 3: Back to Perfection (2001) (V) 3, 5.4
    'Salem's Lot (2004) (TV) 2, 5.9
    Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers: To Live and Die in Starlight
    (2002) (TV) 2, 5.4
    Battlestar Galactica (1978) (TV) 2, 5.8
    Me, Myself & Irene (2000) 2, 6.0
    Velocity Trap (1997) 2, 3.8
    Dr. T & the Women (2000) 1, 4.9
    Ghosts of Mars (2001) 1, 4.6
    Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) 1, 3.6
    Interceptor Force 2 (2002) (TV) 1, 3.9
    Interceptors (1999) 1, 3.6
    Mighty Aphrodite (1995) 1, 7.0
    Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989) 1, 4.8
    Witchblade (2000) (TV) 1, 3.8

    > Watch it with fresh eyes & then tell me you don't think it had a sense

    of
    > dread about it. (cue jokes here).

    Think I got rid of it at Half Price Books & Music. Maybe not. I'll
    have to check.

    Mac Breck, Feb 24, 2005
  11. Mac Breck Guest

    > Mac Breck wrote:

    > > Along those lines of humour horror...
    > > How about:
    > > (every other King film that brain-farted to mind)

    IMHO, you're too tough on "Needful Things." I found it to be funny as
    hell.

    Mac Breck, Feb 24, 2005
  12. Mac Breck wrote:

    >>>umm not sure if this is relevant but 70's horror - try the two Dr Phibes
    >>>films and Theatre of Blood - humour horror!

    Actually, that's a misstatement:
    The recommendation should be for the FIRST Dr. Phibes movies and
    "Theater of Blood" (often considered the "unofficial" third Phibes
    movie, with Diana Rigg filling in for the silent hench-babe)--
    The second, "...Rises Again", as fans know, just didn't have a friggin'
    clue.

    > Along those lines of humour horror...
    > How about:
    > (every other King film that brain-farted to mind)

    ....How about *not*?
    (Well, okay, maybe "Carrie", but just for 70's Brian dePalma and His
    Magic Split-Screen...)

    But, to keep the "slow creeps" theme going (before the thread mutates
    into a mindless trivia fan-w*nk for every title posters remember from
    the 70's), how about the gloomy paranoid fever-dream of the '78 Phil
    Kaufman "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"?

    Of said previously fan-w*nked trivia lists, however, only "The Keep",
    "Trilogy of Terror", and ESPECIALLY "Curse/Night of the Demon" could be
    salvaged--
    Haven't seen the pre-Elm Street Wes Craven's made-for-TV "Invitation to
    Hell" in a while, but remember it having a few effective creeps in places.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Feb 24, 2005
  13. Joe McC wrote:

    >>>Halloween 3: Season of The Witch

    >>You're kidding, right? That one was absolutely awful.

    > Heh heh, I assume since you snipped the other 40 odd movies listed that you
    > approve of those ones?

    (Consider the snipping an act of CHARITY. To the original poster.)

    > But yeah...deadly serious. That bloody haunting jingle, our heros thwarted
    > at every turn......and just what in the name of John Carpenter was actually
    > going on INSIDE those masks?

    The treatment was originally a Nigel "Quatermass" Kneale storyline in
    pre-production, but....that was before the other cooks got their messy
    hands into the pot, Kneale took his name off the credits, and who wouldn't?
    Pass any of the stuff that actually *worked* in the movie (as opposed
    to, say, robotic power-drill killers) down to remaining DNA traces of
    Kneale's original "Druidic sacrifice" script idea, and then go out and
    rent "Quatermass & the Pit" again to wash away the aftertaste.

    ....Still, any John Carpenter synthesizer score is worth watching once.
    ONCE.
    And for no other reason.

    Derek Janssen (on the upside, A&E announces both TV and film versions of
    "Quatermass Conclusion", Apr. 26)

    Derek Janssen, Feb 24, 2005
  14. Guest

    Thanks everybody for all the suggestions! I'll definitely be tracking
    some of these down!

    , Feb 24, 2005
  15. Nick Guest

    hehehe! its great actually. Great in a bad way - its really funny if you
    have a strange sense of humour. And its not 70s at all its definitely 80s!

    Nick, Feb 24, 2005
  16. Nick Guest

    nahh Rises Again is funny as f**k! They are all great as they have the
    grandmaster...Vincent Price!!

    Nick, Feb 24, 2005
  17. Joe McC Guest

    >>>You're kidding, right? That one was absolutely awful.

    >> Heh heh, I assume since you snipped the other 40 odd movies listed that
    >> you approve of those ones?

    > (Consider the snipping an act of CHARITY. To the original poster.)

    Charity is it?

    So Spielberg's Something Evil is pants? You feel knowledgable enough to
    deride recognised classics like Unman Wittering & Zigo?

    Try lightening up a tad, "Deke", they're only old horror b-movies!

    Oh, and regarding your snippy little jibes? **** you too, Mr Snooty.

    ;-P

    Joe

    Joe McC, Feb 24, 2005
  18. Joe McC Guest

    > Joe McC wrote:
    > ...Could YOU make even remote heads or tails of the story?
    >
    > Something about a evil jar of pickles, and why not to paint over
    > Pennsylvania Dutch symbols, and...aw, I gave up.

    Scary pickles...that's correct! And Gone With The Wind was all about a chick
    in a big skirt.

    > (Keeping in mind, this was the "Columbo"-era "See?...See?--Isn't this
    > camera angle neat? I learned it in film school!" 70's-NBC Spielberg, when
    > all he had was "Duel" to practice on...)

    Still, if it works, it works. (You need to remember the OP was asking for
    advice on 70s era creepy movies with a sense of mounting dread, not
    Oscar-worthy epics).

    By the bye, d'you also feel the same disdain for The Last Wave & those other
    Australian gems on the list like Picnic at Hanging Rock? Have you actually
    seen Colin Eggleston's Long Weekend?

    Mebbe y'just don't cotton to them thar creepy movies, n'est ce pas?
    Too.............erm, creepy for you?

    :-/

    Joe

    Joe McC, Feb 24, 2005

    Derek Janssen, Feb 24, 2005
  20. On 23 Feb 2005 09:22:54 -0800, wrote:

    >If anyone can recommend any others along these lines, I'd appreciate
    >it. Thanks!

    Salem's Lot (1979)

    The Devil's Rain (1975)

    two of my favorites. The Devil's Rain is kinda hard to
    find, but well worth the effort if you can do it.

    Mutant Leader, Feb 26, 2005