    Brutal honesty only please.

    Thanks a ton!!!

    Tanya
    crazylikedat, Mar 3, 2005

  2. crazylikedat

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "crazylikedat" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all....
    >
    > I have some of my pics up on a website and have asked those close to me
    > to look and critique. Problem? either they don't say much or they get
    > all gooey. I want some real honesty. Anyone out there willing to lend
    > a hand?
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/crazylikedat/galleries
    >
    > Brutal honesty only please.
    >
    > Thanks a ton!!!
    >
    > Tanya

    Perhaps its your style, I find them all a bit dark. I will try to be more
    brutal next time.
    Rudy Benner, Mar 4, 2005

  3. Hi,

    Here we are, some genui honesty:

    DSC_0256.JPG - almost there, lift up sky and brown building color, make it
    more vivid, nice composition, maybe except snow in foreground on the left,
    you could compose it without it

    DSC_0269.JPG - hugely underexposed

    DSC_0250.JPG - focus on board behind, nothing to see here, I would like to
    see close up photos, it is such a subject

    DSC_0234.JPG - lift up levels, bring life, it could be good shot

    DSC_0257.JPG - nothing here

    P1010011.JPG - line up perspective, crop it as blue, glass wall will fill
    whole frame, it could be good, now it is a snapshot

    DSC_0268.JPG - nice composition, a bit too soft, levels againg

    DSC_0197.JPG - nothing here, just pet

    etc ect

    Check you monitor, try to calibrate it a least a bit, it seem that it is too
    bright.

    Regards,

    K.Polak
    Krystian Polak, Mar 4, 2005
  4. crazylikedat

    Ben Thomas Guest

    crazylikedat wrote:
    > Hi all....
    >
    > I have some of my pics up on a website and have asked those close to me
    > to look and critique. Problem? either they don't say much or they get
    > all gooey. I want some real honesty. Anyone out there willing to lend
    > a hand?
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/crazylikedat/galleries
    >
    > Brutal honesty only please.

    You won't get any of that here....

    --
    Ben Thomas
    Ben Thomas, Mar 4, 2005
  5. crazylikedat

    Frank ess Guest

    crazylikedat wrote:
    > Hi all....
    >
    > I have some of my pics up on a website and have asked those close to
    > me to look and critique. Problem? either they don't say much or
    > they get all gooey. I want some real honesty. Anyone out there
    > willing to lend a hand?
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/crazylikedat/galleries
    >
    > Brutal honesty only please.
    >
    > Thanks a ton!!!
    >
    > Tanya

    I like your eye for subjects. You've made plenty of good choices among
    myriad opportunities that are much more ignorable than these. We have in
    common a difficulty in bringing the inspiring view into full play when
    we push the button.

    Tilted horizons, mis-framed subjects off by just a few percent,
    inclusion of distracting elements that flew right past the cortex while
    in full view of the eye, unpleasant location of frame-edges, too much
    dependence on subject in valuing photos - all errors I have committed
    and will perpetrate again to be sure.

    A very few people have perfect pitch from the git-go; some of us have to
    work hard and verbalize everything we do just to hum a recognizable
    tune. Another lucky few plug away at it until one day it all falls into
    place and what was difficult and laborious becomes natural, even
    inevitable, the stuff of divas.

    I'm in the middle category, trudging into each day's offerings with my
    always-improving toolkit, hoping for the flash of revelation that
    transforms my tentative, ugly duckling yodelings into a true, effortless
    swan of an operatic baritone.

    If the process weren't rewarding in itself I'd probably have given up
    rather than persist for well more than half a century.

    Which is to say: It's just a matter of a few degrees, millimeters,
    lumens, Herz between a snapshot and a _photograph_, and it is work,
    finding them.

    PS: San Diego is a great place for photo-ops, isn't it?

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Mar 4, 2005
  6. crazylikedat

    crazylikedat Guest

    Thanks Frank. You are right...I seem to live for the moment that I put
    my stuff on the pc and see something half-way decent. I am very new at
    digital and am struggling with some of the more rudimentary skills ie
    exposuure. I think I am heading towards a digital class and soon. I do
    wish I had it as easy as some that point, shoot and create a wonderful
    photo. It almost seems that the harder I try the more problems I have.
    I do not have as trained of an eye as some and miss little details that
    they quickly pick up. It is true that the camera sees everything in
    the frame not just what we want it to see. I am having fun and that is
    what it is all about.

    Thanks for the input. I appreciate it!!!!

    Tanya

    crazylikedat, Mar 4, 2005
  7. crazylikedat

    Sheldon Guest

    > Hi all....
    >
    > I have some of my pics up on a website and have asked those close to me
    > to look and critique. Problem? either they don't say much or they get
    > all gooey. I want some real honesty. Anyone out there willing to lend
    > a hand?
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/crazylikedat/galleries
    >
    > Brutal honesty only please.
    >
    > Thanks a ton!!!
    >
    > Tanya

    Honestly? I really like the shot of the baby's foot in the towel. You
    could have done an entire series on parts of the baby and it would have been
    quite interesting. Otherwise, nothing here excites me. Very dark. Not
    much color.
    Sheldon, Mar 4, 2005
  8. > I posted my version and yours at: .....
    > http://tinyurl.com/6dwq6 (slow to load sometimes)

    ....says I'm not logged in as the owner! :(

    --
    The email address used to post is a spam pit. Contact me at
    http://www.derekfountain.org : <a
    Derek Fountain, Mar 4, 2005
  9. crazylikedat

    TheNewsGuy Guest

    On 3 Mar 2005 15:35:22 -0800, "crazylikedat" <>
    wrote:

    >I have some of my pics up on a website and have asked those close to me
    >to look and critique. Problem?

    I like a lot of your compositions and subjects but I would suggest
    some digital enhancements to get the real emotion of the subject
    across to the viewer...
    =======================

    sd51010004.JPG

    I'd rotate the image about 2 degrees to make the lines vertical,
    add some saturation to the sky - I'd remove the people moving out of
    the frame at the bottom and crop the image more tightly I would
    sharpen the image.

    I posted my version and yours at: .....
    http://tinyurl.com/6dwq6 (slow to load sometimes)

    ============
    P1010010.JPG
    Nice, strong,

    Remove the distraction of the person on the bottom
    lens flare - use PhotoShop and edit it out.
    ====================

    01/02.JPG
    Nice
    I'd add some saturation and contrast to the colors
    I'd remove the distracting two white sticks(?) in the relfection

    ================
    P1010053.JPG
    No center of interest and a bit washed out.. The skyline merges with
    the horizon line
    (not a keeper)
    =================
    P1010054
    I'd crop to the lower left quarter and make the bridge the strong
    element and add contrast and saturation to the image
    ================

    That's a start...

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    + The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
    + (two mirrored sites)
    + http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
    + http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    TheNewsGuy, Mar 4, 2005
  10. crazylikedat wrote:

    > Brutal honesty only please.

    Um, OK! :)

    You need to hold the camera level. This problem is repeated throughout. Or
    learn to correct the problem in an image editor.

    Reflections of buildings in buildings make for very dull subjects.
    Reflections of roads (at night or dusk), sunsets, crowds, etc., yes, they
    work, but buildings? Especially uninteresting buildings? No.

    Learn the rule of thirds. Most of the photos in the Americana gallery would
    benefit from its implementation.

    If you're going to put pictures like the "Philly church.JPG" one in a public
    place and then ask for comments, you deserve all you get! It's hard to know
    where to begin.

    Learn to use exposure compensation and bracketing for when faced with
    subjects like in "philly02.JPG".

    "P1010005.JPG" shows the importance of getting square on to a subject. As
    does "P1010016.JPG". And "P1010025.JPG". I used to do this all the time
    too.

    Take a moment longer to think about the framing of the shot. Look at
    "P1010051.JPG". If you'd taken 3 steps either left or right you'd have had
    the building and the fountain, as opposed to neither, which is what you
    got. Lots of the others have details going out of frame, a distracting lamp
    post, etc.

    Most importantly, when asking for critiques, get the cruft out from your
    collection. If you want to keep a viewer interested every shot needs to be
    your best. There's some good stuff in there, but when it's surrounded by
    very ordinary shots, it's hard to find. I suggest making another gallery of
    your best shots - those are the ones where critiques are most useful. The
    rest, which are only of interest to you, your family or friends, are not
    really for public consumption.

    Derek Fountain, Mar 4, 2005
  11. >>...says I'm not logged in as the owner! :(

    > OOPS .. Sorry, Is this better...
    >
    > http://community.webshots.com/album/287398199vhiQqZ

    Yup, that works. Although I'm not sure you've improved the picture too much!
    I'd say you've over rotated it. The sky is now multicoloured (could be JPEG
    artifacts I suppose) and you didn't remove the lines from across the arch
    structure. I'd also question your cropping - I'd have put the arch dead
    centre I think, since there's nothing to the right of the picture worth
    keeping. And would you say you've over sharpened? The colour correction of
    the street area looks pretty good though. :eek:)

    Derek Fountain, Mar 4, 2005
  12. crazylikedat

    TheNewsGuy Guest

    TheNewsGuy, Mar 4, 2005
  13. crazylikedat

    TheNewsGuy Guest

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:46:24 +0800, Derek Fountain
    <> wrote:

    http://community.webshots.com/album/287398199vhiQqZ

    >Yup, that works. Although I'm not sure you've improved the picture too much!
    >I'd say you've over rotated it. The sky is now multicoloured (could be JPEG
    >artifacts I suppose) and you didn't remove the lines from across the arch
    >structure. I'd also question your cropping - I'd have put the arch dead
    >centre I think, since there's nothing to the right of the picture worth
    >keeping. And would you say you've over sharpened? The colour correction of
    >the street area looks pretty good though. :eek:)

    Yes, I agree with what you say. I did that adjustment quickly in a
    few minutes (and I am not an expert) just to see what could be done.
    and to show Tanya there are a lot of enhancements possible to improve
    a below average photo.

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    TheNewsGuy, Mar 4, 2005
  14. crazylikedat

    bob Guest

    crazylikedat wrote:
    > Hi all....
    >
    > I have some of my pics up on a website and have asked those close to me
    > to look and critique. Problem? either they don't say much or they get
    > all gooey. I want some real honesty. Anyone out there willing to lend
    > a hand?
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/crazylikedat/galleries
    >
    > Brutal honesty only please.
    >
    > Thanks a ton!!!
    >
    > Tanya

    In my honest opinon, you need to learn to edit.

    Pick your favorite two or three and I'll spend time looking at them.
    Give me 50 or more and it tells me you either don't respect my time or
    you haven't really thought about your work.

    My first impression is that you have a good eye for composition.

    Bob
    bob, Mar 4, 2005
  15. crazylikedat

    Marvin Guest

    crazylikedat wrote:
    > Hi all....
    >
    > I have some of my pics up on a website and have asked those close to me
    > to look and critique. Problem? either they don't say much or they get
    > all gooey. I want some real honesty. Anyone out there willing to lend
    > a hand?
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/crazylikedat/galleries
    >
    > Brutal honesty only please.
    >
    > Thanks a ton!!!
    >
    > Tanya

    I've said this so often, even I'm getting bored with it. When your camera is on automatic, and less
    leight reaches the lens, the camera opens the lens aperture to admit more light, That reduces
    resolution in thepicture. The same thing happens in your eyes and mine. A black backgrounds looks
    neat, but it is counterproductive if you want to show your pictures to bets advantage.

    Otherwise, most of your photos are basic snapshots. Nothing wrong with that, if the subjects
    interest you.
    Marvin, Mar 4, 2005
  16. crazylikedat

    Larry Guest

    In article <PY%Vd.601$>, says...
    > > I have some of my pics up on a website and have asked those close to me
    > > to look and critique. Problem? either they don't say much or they get
    > > all gooey. I want some real honesty. Anyone out there willing to lend
    > > a hand?
    > >
    > > http://www.pbase.com/crazylikedat/galleries
    > >
    > > Brutal honesty only please.
    > >
    > > Thanks a ton!!!
    > >
    > > Tanya

    I took the time to peruse the "Animals" and "Nature" galleries.

    My thoughts are:

    THE BAD NEWS:

    All the pictures show up as a little bit dark on my monitor (it has been set
    up properly). Probably just a little tweaking in PhotoShop would do the
    trick for me.

    THE GOOD NEWS:

    I think you have a good sense of what it takes to make a good picture. The
    only ones that seem like a "snapshot" to me are the playfull little dog..

    Some practice with editing, and cropping wouldn't hurt, but overall I think
    it is a fine collection, and with some work it could be better than "fine".

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Mar 4, 2005