Looking for help in choosing a new printer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kasterborus@yahoo.com, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    I'm currently using an HP 2210 "all in one" inkjet printer and have
    been fairly happy with the photographic results.

    Since buying a Nikon D70 camera I am looking to upgrade the printer.

    I have heard good things about Epson printers - particularly the R300.

    There is so much confusing information out there on the web - therefore
    is it likely that I will see a significant (to justify the cost)
    improvement in my printing in moving from a 3 year old HP 2210 to an
    Epson R300?

    One of the biggest problems is that I have never found a suitable ICC
    profile for the HP - I think that Epson supplies ICC profiles with all
    of its printers.

    Your help is appreciated.
    Thanks!

    , Feb 3, 2005

  2. Glen S Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm currently using an HP 2210 "all in one" inkjet printer and have
    > been fairly happy with the photographic results.
    >
    > Since buying a Nikon D70 camera I am looking to upgrade the printer.
    >
    > I have heard good things about Epson printers - particularly the R300.
    >
    > There is so much confusing information out there on the web - therefore
    > is it likely that I will see a significant (to justify the cost)
    > improvement in my printing in moving from a 3 year old HP 2210 to an
    > Epson R300?
    >
    > One of the biggest problems is that I have never found a suitable ICC
    > profile for the HP - I think that Epson supplies ICC profiles with all
    > of its printers.
    >
    > Your help is appreciated.
    > Thanks!

    I just bought an R300 and am very happy with it, I had it narrowed
    down to HP7760, Canon Pixma 5000 and the R300. I thought the Pixma with
    its 1 picolitre and higher res would have the best quality and the
    salesmen I talked to seemed to back this up, but any reviews I have read
    put the R300 slightly ahead in that category. In fact the one review I
    read put the Pixma 4000 ahead of the 5000 for quality. The differences
    are probably so subtle they are likely unnoticeable in any case.

    I bought the R300 becuase I got the best price on it, but from what I
    understand the R200 is pretty well identical for print quality but does
    not have the card slots and print without pc option (which I dont really
    care about anyway) so I could have gone with the R200, but the R300 is
    a more robust looking printer if that matters to you.

    They are so cheap these days I may even pick up a Canon 4000 or 5000, I
    like the duplex printing option and dual paper feeds, and it would be
    interesting to see how the photo output compares.

    Glen S, Feb 3, 2005

  3. measekite Guest

    The Canon IP4000 does photos marginally better than the IP5000 but the
    text is much better on the IP5000. The IP4000 is faster. Not sure if
    the 1pl head could clog. The Canon IP4000 produces marginally better
    photo quality than the Epson R300 series at a substantially faster
    speed. The text and business document quality on the Canon is also far
    better and faster as well. The only case for an R300 is if you live in
    the USA and need to print directly on a CD. A friend has trouble with
    the CD feed on 2 R300 printers. One stopped feeding and the other had
    intermittent problems.

    I am wondering if the only difference in the UK Canon IP4000 is the CD
    printing ability. Anyone know if it would work in the USA?

    measekite, Feb 3, 2005
  4. Glen S Guest

    measekite wrote:
    > The Canon IP4000 does photos marginally better than the IP5000 but the
    > text is much better on the IP5000. The IP4000 is faster. Not sure if
    > the 1pl head could clog. The Canon IP4000 produces marginally better
    > photo quality than the Epson R300 series at a substantially faster
    > speed. The text and business document quality on the Canon is also far
    > better and faster as well. The only case for an R300 is if you live in
    > the USA and need to print directly on a CD. A friend has trouble with
    > the CD feed on 2 R300 printers. One stopped feeding and the other had
    > intermittent problems.
    >
    > I am wondering if the only difference in the UK Canon IP4000 is the CD
    > printing ability. Anyone know if it would work in the USA?
    >
    > Glen S wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    snip

    Like I said, the $150 price on the epson was decision maker for me, but
    the reviews I did read put the R300's photo output ahead of both
    Pixma's, 4000 and 5000. However, reviews are reviews and the only true
    test to me would be to print the same image myself side by side and
    compare. Had the price been the same I likely would have gone for the
    Canon for its duplex and dual paper handling ability, but I dont do
    large volumes of printing so those features are in the "nice to have"
    category, as is the Epson cd/dvd printing, which I havent tried yet.

    I see no reason why the CD printing in the non north american Canon
    models would not work over here, why would it not? Nor do I understand
    why it is not available here either...

    Glen S, Feb 4, 2005