    Regards
    Mark
    Aus
    Clubsprint, Feb 28, 2007

  2. Clubsprint

    lled Guest

    "Clubsprint" <> wrote in message
    news:es2gpl$6ea$...
    > G'day all
    > The media communications (web page guys) department of the company I work
    > for has a requirement to purchase some
    > software to allow ripping, authoring and copying of DVD's. I'm looking for
    > any help you guys can
    > give me as far as recomendations are concerned. Sub $1K would be good.
    > I'm looking at two products "InterVideo DVD Copy 5" and "DVD Wizard Pro"

    as
    > they appear to cover all aspects
    > but would really appreciate some other points of view as I don't want to
    > purchase a lemon. Spending a few hundred
    > on the right package is preferrable to spending $50 on an inadequate
    > product.

    Would you need to get the copyright holders permission before ripping apart
    their DVDs? Just curious as you seem to want to go down the legal path in
    everything but that. If you had their permission wouldn't you then also
    have the unencrypted media from them, hence no need for a DVD ripper?
    lled, Feb 28, 2007

  3. Clubsprint

    Clubsprint Guest

    "lled" <> wrote in message

    > Would you need to get the copyright holders permission before ripping
    > apart
    > their DVDs? Just curious as you seem to want to go down the legal path in
    > everything but that. If you had their permission wouldn't you then also
    > have the unencrypted media from them, hence no need for a DVD ripper?

    My organizatiopn ran a competition where the entrants made DVDs on a
    particular theme
    and posted them in. The organization would like to display the winning
    entries on our web
    site for the public to see. The entrants gave up their copyright by
    conditions of entry.
    No-one's ripping off and copyrighted material in this instance. This is why
    I'm looking for
    a legit product to use for a legit process. I already know plenty about
    duplicating, downloading,
    DVDs, software etc. but this is a legit requirement.
    I need to be doing this process all legal and above board and want to make
    the right
    choices with my purchases.
    Now that I've justified myself, does anyone have any product suggestions.
    Mark
    Clubsprint, Mar 1, 2007
  4. Clubsprint

    Bill's News Guest

    > G'day all
    > The media communications (web page guys) department of the
    > company I work for has a requirement to purchase some
    > software to allow ripping, authoring and copying of DVD's.

    Having read your follow up post, ripping is not an issue. One
    can just copy unprotected DVDs to the hard drive. As for
    editing and authoring, any of the many under $1000, fee based
    products oft mentioned here should suffice. How you may want to
    edit and author would seem to be the deciding factor as to
    whether you'd need to make tradeoffs from your desires in order
    to remain under $1000, though that would seem unlikely.

    Speed and multi-system licenses would seem an issue to be
    addressed, considering the volume you might have?

    Bill's News, Mar 1, 2007
  5. Clubsprint

    Clubsprint Guest

    MP4 codec download required

    G'day all
    I downloaded a couple of video files with the extension
    mp4 which apears to be MPEG-4 files. Windows media player
    will play the audio of the files but does not play the video.
    I've been netsurfing to try and find a free codec that will
    work for these but to no avail. The files have h264 in the name
    so this seems significant. Other than being able to find a codec
    I have a machine that will play them, but is unsuitable for extended
    viewing.
    How do I find which codec is being used on this machine.
    I can't get any information from the source as they were obtained
    via torrent. Before the high horses arrive it's the only access I have to
    this particular (Aussie Rules Football) sporting replay as there is
    no commercial option.
    Mark
    Aus

    Clubsprint, Mar 1, 2007
  6. Re: MP4 codec download required

    On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 15:24:18 +1100, "Clubsprint"
    <> wrote:

    >G'day all
    >I downloaded a couple of video files with the extension
    >mp4 which apears to be MPEG-4 files. Windows media player
    >will play the audio of the files but does not play the video.
    >I've been netsurfing to try and find a free codec that will
    >work for these but to no avail. The files have h264 in the name
    >so this seems significant. Other than being able to find a codec
    >I have a machine that will play them, but is unsuitable for extended
    >viewing.
    >How do I find which codec is being used on this machine.
    >I can't get any information from the source as they were obtained
    >via torrent. Before the high horses arrive it's the only access I have to
    >this particular (Aussie Rules Football) sporting replay as there is
    >no commercial option.
    >Mark
    >Aus

    If you have Nero 6 or 7 then you are bound to have NeroVision 3 or 4
    Express. This program will convert .MP4 to DVD Video.

    The latest Nero patch updates can be downloaded from:
    http://www.nero.com

    Set it for a two pass scan for best results.

    To convert MP4 to DVD Video.

    DVD Video
    Make DVD
    Add Video Files.
    Then you may want to create chapter points. set it to automatic.
    If you want a fancy menu you can do that as well.

    Good Luck........

    SalesMart.com.au
    Perth, Western Australia
    http://www.salesmart.com.au
    Email Contact info on the above site.
    SalesMart.com.au, Mar 1, 2007
  7. Clubsprint

    > "lled" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Would you need to get the copyright holders permission before ripping
    > > apart
    > > their DVDs? Just curious as you seem to want to go down the legal path

    in
    > > everything but that. If you had their permission wouldn't you then also
    > > have the unencrypted media from them, hence no need for a DVD ripper?
    > >

    > My organizatiopn ran a competition where the entrants made DVDs on a
    > particular theme
    > and posted them in. The organization would like to display the winning
    > entries on our web
    > site for the public to see. The entrants gave up their copyright by
    > conditions of entry.
    > No-one's ripping off and copyrighted material in this instance. This is

    why
    > I'm looking for
    > a legit product to use for a legit process. I already know plenty about
    > duplicating, downloading,
    > DVDs, software etc. but this is a legit requirement.
    > I need to be doing this process all legal and above board and want to make
    > the right
    > choices with my purchases.
    > Now that I've justified myself, does anyone have any product suggestions.
    > Mark

    Well now you have explained yourself - you won't need to "rip" the DVDs.

    Ripping is only required where the source material is encrypted, which it
    won't be on your entrants DVDs.
    lled, Mar 6, 2007