    any suggestions? new or used. portraits are the only thing i want this
    camera to excel in. therefor, good at full aperture, and a great lens. i
    already have a DSLR, so i want a P&S that will do the trick in a bind.
    joe mama, Oct 24, 2006

  2. joe mama

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "joe mama" <> writes:
    > any suggestions? new or used. portraits are the only thing i want this
    > camera to excel in. therefor, good at full aperture, and a great lens. i
    > already have a DSLR, so i want a P&S that will do the trick in a bind.

    I'd have to say a Canon G6, it has a fast lens and a flash shoe that
    accepts the Canon dedicated flashes. I don't think Nikon has anything
    comparable, i.e. that has any kind of external flash control. What I
    don't know is whether the G6 can operate multiple flashes like the
    Nikon iTTL system. Anyway, lighting control matters a lot more than
    lens speed. Most p/s are limited to that awful in-camera direct flash
    which is the kiss of death for good portraits.
    Paul Rubin, Oct 24, 2006

  3. joe mama

    Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > "joe mama" <> writes:
    > > any suggestions? new or used. portraits are the only thing i want this
    > > camera to excel in. therefor, good at full aperture, and a great lens. i
    > > already have a DSLR, so i want a P&S that will do the trick in a bind.

    One problem you may face is that small sensor digicams have significant
    depth of field even when used wide open, which you probably don't want
    for portraiture :-/
    , Oct 24, 2006
  4. joe mama wrote:
    > any suggestions? new or used. portraits are the only thing i want this
    > camera to excel in. therefor, good at full aperture, and a great lens. i
    > already have a DSLR, so i want a P&S that will do the trick in a bind.

    I would say you need a camera with a manual aperture setting. The only
    P&S cameras I know of like this are some of the high end Fuji Film ones.
    Check Dpreview.com for some reviews of them.

    --
    | Brendan Gillatt |
    | brendan {at} brendan \removethis// gillatt {dot} co {dot} uk |
    Brendan Gillatt, Oct 25, 2006
  5. joe mama

    Jim Blue Guest

    Brendan Gillatt wrote:

    > I would say you need a camera with a manual aperture setting. The only
    > P&S cameras I know of like this are some of the high end Fuji Film ones.
    > Check Dpreview.com for some reviews of them.

    My Canon A620 has a manual aperture setting. It's 7.1MP, inexpensive
    now that the A630 and A640 have come out. The on-camera flash isn't
    good for portraits, though.
    Jim Blue, Oct 26, 2006
  6. joe mama

    Bob Williams Guest

    Jim Blue wrote:
    > Brendan Gillatt wrote:
    >
    >> I would say you need a camera with a manual aperture setting. The only
    >> P&S cameras I know of like this are some of the high end Fuji Film ones.
    >> Check Dpreview.com for some reviews of them.

    > My Canon A620 has a manual aperture setting. It's 7.1MP, inexpensive
    > now that the A630 and A640 have come out. The on-camera flash isn't
    > good for portraits, though.

    Choose an aperture, e.g.f=11, that will cause the puny on-camera flash
    to contribute very little to the overall exposure. The flash will,
    however, be bright enough to trigger one or more strong slaves to
    actually provide the correct exposure.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Oct 26, 2006
  7. joe mama

    Guest

    Brendan Gillatt wrote:
    > joe mama wrote:
    > > any suggestions? new or used. portraits are the only thing i want this
    > > camera to excel in. therefor, good at full aperture, and a great lens. i
    > > already have a DSLR, so i want a P&S that will do the trick in a bind.
    > >

    > I would say you need a camera with a manual aperture setting. The only
    > P&S cameras I know of like this are some of the high end Fuji Film ones.
    > Check Dpreview.com for some reviews of them.

    Not true. There are many, many P&S cameras with a manual aperture
    setting and even with full (aperture and shutter speed) control. You
    can search dpreview.com for them.

    Regardless, P&S cameras are pretty bad for portraits because no matter
    what you do, you'll have too much depth-of-field, which makes it very
    difficult to isolate your subject from the background.

    The OP really needs a camera with a larger sensor to get shallow DOF
    for portraits. There is only one small P&S camera with a large sensor,
    and that's Sigma's new DP1. But that camera introduces other problems,
    like a non-zoom lens that's too short for portraits, and of course the
    Foveon sensor that many people don't like. Apart from that, just get a
    DSLR.

    -Gniewko
    , Oct 26, 2006
  8. joe mama

    Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > Jim Blue wrote:
    > > Brendan Gillatt wrote:
    > >
    > >> I would say you need a camera with a manual aperture setting. The only
    > >> P&S cameras I know of like this are some of the high end Fuji Film ones.
    > >> Check Dpreview.com for some reviews of them.

    > > My Canon A620 has a manual aperture setting. It's 7.1MP, inexpensive
    > > now that the A630 and A640 have come out. The on-camera flash isn't
    > > good for portraits, though.

    > Choose an aperture, e.g.f=11, that will cause the puny on-camera flash
    > to contribute very little to the overall exposure. The flash will,
    > however, be bright enough to trigger one or more strong slaves to
    > actually provide the correct exposure.
    > Bob Williams

    Good luck getting f/11 on a P&S. Most of them don't go beyond f/8.

    -Gniewko
    , Oct 27, 2006
  9. wrote:
    []
    > Not true. There are many, many P&S cameras with a manual aperture
    > setting and even with full (aperture and shutter speed) control. You
    > can search dpreview.com for them.
    >
    > Regardless, P&S cameras are pretty bad for portraits because no matter
    > what you do, you'll have too much depth-of-field, which makes it very
    > difficult to isolate your subject from the background.
    >
    > The OP really needs a camera with a larger sensor to get shallow DOF
    > for portraits. There is only one small P&S camera with a large sensor,
    > and that's Sigma's new DP1. But that camera introduces other problems,
    > like a non-zoom lens that's too short for portraits, and of course the
    > Foveon sensor that many people don't like. Apart from that, just get a
    > DSLR.
    >
    > -Gniewko

    It does rather depend what you mean by portraits, doesn't it? Take a look
    here for some great people shots - all done with a P&S.

    http://www.larry-bolch.com/CP8400/

    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 27, 2006
  10. joe mama

    Ronald Hands Guest

    wrote:
    > Bob Williams wrote:
    >> Jim Blue wrote:

    >>> My Canon A620 has a manual aperture setting. It's 7.1MP, inexpensive
    >>> now that the A630 and A640 have come out. The on-camera flash isn't
    >>> good for portraits, though.

    >> Choose an aperture, e.g.f=11, that will cause the puny on-camera flash
    >> to contribute very little to the overall exposure. The flash will,
    >> however, be bright enough to trigger one or more strong slaves to
    >> actually provide the correct exposure.
    >> Bob Williams

    > Good luck getting f/11 on a P&S. Most of them don't go beyond f/8.

    If the A620 is anything like my A75, you can set it up in manual
    mode, thus choosing any lens opening within its range, and then also
    control the flash output manually. I find if I set it to 1/3 flash
    output (the minimum), it's enough to trigger an outboard flash which
    will provide most of the illumination. Nice thing about this mode is
    that there's no pre-flash so a standard slave works fine.
    I have an A630 but haven't tested its manual mode yet. I notice it
    also allows manual control of flash output in several of the automatic
    modes, but I don't know whether this means it also dispenses with the
    pre-flash. Obviously I need to do some testing, unless someone has
    already checked this out ... ?

    -- Ron
    Ronald Hands, Oct 27, 2006