Looking for graphic viewing program...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Evan Platt, Dec 16, 2008.

  1. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    Looking for a graphic viewing app for XP..... with a basic requirement
    - I'd like to be able to select a file in Explorer, double click, have
    it open... but then - and this seems to be what most programs lack -
    I'd like to be able to open another file from Explorer, and have that
    file open also in the same 'window' in the graphic viewer. I then want
    to be able to cycle through those images I've opened. The problem is
    most viewers I'm seeing want me to cycle through the directory - so
    say I have files in a directory called images, and filenames are
    file001.jpg, file002.jpg, file003.jpg .... file 999.jpg.

    With each image viewer I've seen, with the exception of Paint Shop Pro
    (Memory Hog), if I open say file001.jpg, it then automatically
    'browses' through the directory, so if I hit page down or whatever the
    key is for the app, it cycles through every file in the directory.

    This make sense? Any program suggestions?

    Thanks.
    Evan Platt, Dec 16, 2008

  2. Evan Platt

    Walter Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    > Looking for a graphic viewing app for XP..... with a basic requirement
    > - I'd like to be able to select a file in Explorer, double click, have
    > it open... but then - and this seems to be what most programs lack -
    > I'd like to be able to open another file from Explorer, and have that
    > file open also in the same 'window' in the graphic viewer.

    Define 'window'. I can't tell from the way you wrote it if you want to
    'stitch' two graphics together, or open two graphics in the same program
    (but from different directories) at the same time, or what.

    > I then want
    > to be able to cycle through those images I've opened. The problem is
    > most viewers I'm seeing want me to cycle through the directory - so
    > say I have files in a directory called images, and filenames are
    > file001.jpg, file002.jpg, file003.jpg .... file 999.jpg.
    >
    > With each image viewer I've seen, with the exception of Paint Shop Pro
    > (Memory Hog), if I open say file001.jpg, it then automatically
    > 'browses' through the directory, so if I hit page down or whatever the
    > key is for the app, it cycles through every file in the directory.
    >
    > This make sense?

    Not really. Perhaps if you explained what your end game is? In other
    words, what you are trying to accomplish?

    Any program suggestions?

    For an image viewer/manipulator that's free and has tons of functions? Yes.

    www.irfanview.com. Make sure you dowload and install the plugins as well.
    Walter, Dec 16, 2008

  3. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:17:39 -0500, "Walter" <>
    wrote:

    >Define 'window'. I can't tell from the way you wrote it if you want to
    >'stitch' two graphics together, or open two graphics in the same program
    >(but from different directories) at the same time, or what.

    Sorry.. I should say in the same instance of the application.

    >Not really. Perhaps if you explained what your end game is? In other
    >words, what you are trying to accomplish?

    Well, as I mentioned, I'd like to be able to open say file001.jpg.
    Have that file opened in the app. Then open (via say Explorer) open
    file002.jpg, have both file001 and file002 opened in the same instance
    of the app - and no other files. I'd like to then be able to toggle
    between those two files - or obviously if I open 3 files, those 3
    files. Or 4.

    >Any program suggestions?
    >
    >For an image viewer/manipulator that's free and has tons of functions? Yes.
    >
    >www.irfanview.com. Make sure you dowload and install the plugins as well.

    Well Irfanview attempts to do what I mentioned I don't like - where
    once I open up say file001.jpg, if I then page up or down, it goes to
    the next file in the directory.

    Basically for a more 'precise' example of what I'm attempting - I have
    files of examples of my photography named by a description of what it
    is. So a police helicopter landing may be "Police Helicopter
    Landing.jpg", or the front of a hospital might be "Hospital
    Exterior.jpg". All in the same directory. If I want to show some
    examples of say helicopters, I'd like to open "Application" (whatever
    it is), then in Explorer or Total Commander, open "Police Helicopter
    Landing.jpg", then "Medical Helicopter taking off.jpg", and so forth,
    then be able to toggle through those images.

    Paint Shop Pro does this easily but it's a memory hog.

    Thanks.

    Evan Platt, Dec 16, 2008
  4. Evan Platt

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:58:08 -0800, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >Looking for a graphic viewing app for XP..... with a basic requirement
    >- I'd like to be able to select a file in Explorer, double click, have
    >it open... but then - and this seems to be what most programs lack -
    >I'd like to be able to open another file from Explorer, and have that
    >file open also in the same 'window' in the graphic viewer. I then want
    >to be able to cycle through those images I've opened. The problem is
    >most viewers I'm seeing want me to cycle through the directory - so
    >say I have files in a directory called images, and filenames are
    >file001.jpg, file002.jpg, file003.jpg .... file 999.jpg.
    >
    >With each image viewer I've seen, with the exception of Paint Shop Pro
    >(Memory Hog), if I open say file001.jpg, it then automatically
    >'browses' through the directory, so if I hit page down or whatever the
    >key is for the app, it cycles through every file in the directory.
    >
    >This make sense? Any program suggestions?
    >
    >Thanks.

    If I read correctly, check out "photostudio".
    It can open multiple images on the same "view window".
    Not tabbed like many are doing now.
    So you could have two seperate images side by side and copy from one,
    paste to the other.
    richard, Dec 16, 2008
  5. Evan Platt

    thanatoid Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > This make sense? Any program suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Go to any software site and search for "small [or tiny] image
    viewer". There are quite a few, usually written by almost
    unknown authors who may have 3-20 programs on their site,
    usually freeware. Most are under 20-50 KB and I believe will do
    what you want. Googling for the above might bring even quicker
    results than a software site. They tend to get bloated.

    IrfanView (which everyone but me appears to use) is way too big
    for what you want, so are all the other photo editing or large
    viewing (ACDSee for instance was small and great and did what it
    should 10 years ago, now it's just ridiculous) applications -
    mentioned or not. You want a /tiny viewer/. Look for what I
    said, and if you can't find what you want, post again and I'll
    check for a few that I probably have on my zips.

    --
    "May you live in interesting times."
    (curse, origin disputed)
    thanatoid, Dec 17, 2008
  6. Evan Platt

    thanatoid Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > This make sense? Any program suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Specifically, this is the one I was thinking of but couldn't
    remember the name.

    http://wareseeker.com/Graphic-Apps/stormview-
    1.03.0017.zip/355857

    thanatoid, Dec 17, 2008
  7. Evan Platt

    thanatoid Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    I might add that if you rely on Explorer as a starting point,
    you may never be able to get any decent "tailored to your taste"
    results. WE is /designed/ to take control away from the user.

    In any two paner - in my case, TC - I can use PicaView (TC has a
    plug-in option for IrfanView - or another program can be used, I
    am pretty sure, although I never bothered to test it - I like
    PicaView just fine - the ///OLD/// version) to see anything by
    right-clicking on it (I believe that's built into XP but I could
    be wrong) and/or with 2 or 3 keystrokes (plus making the
    selections - but I can use wildcards etc etc etc) I can make a
    /further/ subdir of what I want to see if I don't want to see
    the whole (sub)directory and move or copy stuff there.

    thanatoid, Dec 17, 2008