Looking for Good Advanced Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MisMel, Jan 7, 2007.

  1. MisMel

    MisMel Guest

    Hi -

    I'm looking to get a new digital camera. I currently have the Canon IS
    S1. It's been a great camera, but I'm looking for a camera with more
    features now.

    I thought I'd pick your brains, and see what other's had to say. The
    the things I'm looking for in my new camera are:

    1.) Good in low light situations. I would like it to have an ISO up to
    at least 1600. I know that higher ISO means more noise. So I also want
    a camera that possibly has a noise reduction feature. If, a flash is
    needed, I'd like it to have an adjustable flash so that not everyone is
    washed out and it lightens up not only the subject but behind the
    subject as well.

    2.) One that gives rich true to life colors. One that can handle
    multi-light situations. Possibly has built in filter options.

    3.) I'd like one that can use rechargeable batteries. I currently have
    15 minute rechargables by Rayovac. I have 3 sets so when I'm on
    vacation, or need to take pictures, I have extra batteries on hand if
    needed. So it would have to be able to use the batteries I currently
    have.

    4.) The availability of a hotshoe on the top of the camera so you can
    use an external flash if you need more than what the camera has built
    in.

    5.) Good zoom lens. One that when at max zoom is still crisp and
    clear. Not overly fuzzy.

    6.) A camera that is well made and durable. My IS S1 has taken some
    really good tumbles on accident. Ones for sure I thought the lens would
    have broken or something internal. But all was fine, just a few minor
    scuffs. (Not that I plan on throwing it around LOL, but if an
    unforeseen accident should occur, I want to know that it's durable)

    I love to take pictures. I would especially like the camera to do well
    for Concerts, Indoor places, Outdoor and at night.

    Thanks so much for your input!

    Mel

    MisMel, Jan 7, 2007

  2. MisMel

    U-Know-Who Guest

    "MisMel" <> wrote in message
    > Hi -
    >
    > I'm looking to get a new digital camera. I currently have the Canon IS
    > S1. It's been a great camera, but I'm looking for a camera with more
    > features now.
    >
    > I thought I'd pick your brains, and see what other's had to say. The
    > the things I'm looking for in my new camera are:
    >
    > 1.) Good in low light situations. I would like it to have an ISO up to
    > at least 1600. I know that higher ISO means more noise. So I also want
    > a camera that possibly has a noise reduction feature. If, a flash is
    > needed, I'd like it to have an adjustable flash so that not everyone is
    > washed out and it lightens up not only the subject but behind the
    > subject as well.
    >
    > 2.) One that gives rich true to life colors. One that can handle
    > multi-light situations. Possibly has built in filter options.
    >
    > 3.) I'd like one that can use rechargeable batteries. I currently have
    > 15 minute rechargables by Rayovac. I have 3 sets so when I'm on
    > vacation, or need to take pictures, I have extra batteries on hand if
    > needed. So it would have to be able to use the batteries I currently
    > have.
    >
    > 4.) The availability of a hotshoe on the top of the camera so you can
    > use an external flash if you need more than what the camera has built
    > in.
    >
    > 5.) Good zoom lens. One that when at max zoom is still crisp and
    > clear. Not overly fuzzy.
    >
    > 6.) A camera that is well made and durable. My IS S1 has taken some
    > really good tumbles on accident. Ones for sure I thought the lens would
    > have broken or something internal. But all was fine, just a few minor
    > scuffs. (Not that I plan on throwing it around LOL, but if an
    > unforeseen accident should occur, I want to know that it's durable)
    >
    > I love to take pictures. I would especially like the camera to do well
    > for Concerts, Indoor places, Outdoor and at night.
    >
    > Thanks so much for your input!
    >
    > Mel

    I believe we are all looking for that camera. :)

    http://www.usenet.com

    U-Know-Who, Jan 7, 2007

  3. MisMel

    bmoag Guest

    Must decide: do you want all-in-one with fixed lens or dSLR?

    bmoag, Jan 7, 2007
  4. MisMel

    Dave Cohen Guest

    U-Know-Who wrote:
    > "MisMel" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi -
    >>
    >> I'm looking to get a new digital camera. I currently have the Canon IS
    >> S1. It's been a great camera, but I'm looking for a camera with more
    >> features now.
    >>
    >> I thought I'd pick your brains, and see what other's had to say. The
    >> the things I'm looking for in my new camera are:
    >>
    >> 1.) Good in low light situations. I would like it to have an ISO up to
    >> at least 1600. I know that higher ISO means more noise. So I also want
    >> a camera that possibly has a noise reduction feature. If, a flash is
    >> needed, I'd like it to have an adjustable flash so that not everyone is
    >> washed out and it lightens up not only the subject but behind the
    >> subject as well.
    >>
    >> 2.) One that gives rich true to life colors. One that can handle
    >> multi-light situations. Possibly has built in filter options.
    >>
    >> 3.) I'd like one that can use rechargeable batteries. I currently have
    >> 15 minute rechargables by Rayovac. I have 3 sets so when I'm on
    >> vacation, or need to take pictures, I have extra batteries on hand if
    >> needed. So it would have to be able to use the batteries I currently
    >> have.
    >>
    >> 4.) The availability of a hotshoe on the top of the camera so you can
    >> use an external flash if you need more than what the camera has built
    >> in.
    >>
    >> 5.) Good zoom lens. One that when at max zoom is still crisp and
    >> clear. Not overly fuzzy.
    >>
    >> 6.) A camera that is well made and durable. My IS S1 has taken some
    >> really good tumbles on accident. Ones for sure I thought the lens would
    >> have broken or something internal. But all was fine, just a few minor
    >> scuffs. (Not that I plan on throwing it around LOL, but if an
    >> unforeseen accident should occur, I want to know that it's durable)
    >>
    >> I love to take pictures. I would especially like the camera to do well
    >> for Concerts, Indoor places, Outdoor and at night.

    The fact that you're not planning on taking it to the moon narrows the
    choices somewhat.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jan 7, 2007
  5. MisMel wrote:

    > Hi -
    >
    > I'm looking to get a new digital camera. I currently have the Canon IS
    > S1. It's been a great camera, but I'm looking for a camera with more
    > features now.
    >
    > I thought I'd pick your brains, and see what other's had to say. The
    > the things I'm looking for in my new camera are:
    >
    > 1.) Good in low light situations. I would like it to have an ISO up to
    > at least 1600. I know that higher ISO means more noise. So I also want
    > a camera that possibly has a noise reduction feature. If, a flash is
    > needed, I'd like it to have an adjustable flash so that not everyone is
    > washed out and it lightens up not only the subject but behind the
    > subject as well.
    >
    > 2.) One that gives rich true to life colors. One that can handle
    > multi-light situations. Possibly has built in filter options.
    >
    > 3.) I'd like one that can use rechargeable batteries. I currently have
    > 15 minute rechargables by Rayovac. I have 3 sets so when I'm on
    > vacation, or need to take pictures, I have extra batteries on hand if
    > needed. So it would have to be able to use the batteries I currently
    > have.
    >
    > 4.) The availability of a hotshoe on the top of the camera so you can
    > use an external flash if you need more than what the camera has built
    > in.
    >
    > 5.) Good zoom lens. One that when at max zoom is still crisp and
    > clear. Not overly fuzzy.
    >
    > 6.) A camera that is well made and durable. My IS S1 has taken some
    > really good tumbles on accident. Ones for sure I thought the lens would
    > have broken or something internal. But all was fine, just a few minor
    > scuffs. (Not that I plan on throwing it around LOL, but if an
    > unforeseen accident should occur, I want to know that it's durable)
    >
    > I love to take pictures. I would especially like the camera to do well
    > for Concerts, Indoor places, Outdoor and at night.
    >
    > Thanks so much for your input!
    >
    > Mel

    If you want low light performance, read this before you buy:

    Digital Cameras: Does Pixel Size Matter?
    Factors in Choosing a Digital Camera
    http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/does.pixel.size.matter

    Digital Cameras: Does Pixel Size Matter?
    Part 2: Example Images using Different Pixel Sizes
    http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/does.pixel.size.matter2

    The larger the size of each pixel, the better the low light,
    high ISO performance, in general.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jan 7, 2007