    have a friend that needs something to prevent her son from surfing porn. I
    cant use zone alarm or net nanny but he can turn it off. I need something
    that is difficut to bypass. Any help will be appriciated. Thanks RadarG

    RadarG, Oct 17, 2004

  2. "RadarG" <> wrote:

    > I'm looking for an anonymous proxy in the US that uses content
    > filtering.

    Uh... I think the main users of anonymous proxies are people who DON'T
    want content filtering and try to get around any filters.

    Besides, if you use an EXTERNAL proxy, what's stopping the kid from
    simply using another proxy?

    If you want the kid (or anybody else on your network) to be able to
    only see sites that you want them to see, set up your own proxy on a
    separate machine, have everybody connect out through a LAN, and don't
    allow any connections out through the firewall save those coming from
    the proxy. After that, you only need to whitelist any pages that you
    want to allow people to use - good luck :)

    Seriously, though, even with a local proxy it's pretty easy to break
    out of such a network by using tunneling software, or to find porn
    pages by (ab)using pages like Babelfish[0]. I've tested HTTPTunnel to
    see how it hides the traffic - it uses some obscure URLs to hide the
    outbound requests. If you actually go and visit one of those URLs,
    you'll only see pictures of flowers.

    The Moral: You can't solve a social problem by technical means - but of
    course while you're locking down your net, you'll teach the kid a lot
    about computers, which might take his mind off the porn for a while :)

    [0] Some of my users do that to get around a URL blocker[1]... they
    point babelfish at a porn site and have it "translated". Text on a porn
    site isn't that important, obviously...
    [1] And think that I don't notice. I do, but so far nobody has ordered
    me to tell management about them, so I don't. IF I get lawfully[2]
    ordered to catch them, I've already got a list of usual suspects...
    [2] That's the most important point: I AM allowed to monitor proxy
    logs, but I haven't received order to forward anything to HR. If
    traffic gets out of hand, that might change...

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    If teenagers dress to express individuality, why do they all look alike?

    Juergen Nieveler, Oct 17, 2004

  3. RadarG

    Vanguardx Guest

    "Juergen Nieveler" <>
    wrote in news::
    > "RadarG" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking for an anonymous proxy in the US that uses content
    >> filtering.

    > Uh... I think the main users of anonymous proxies are people who DON'T
    > want content filtering and try to get around any filters.
    >
    > Besides, if you use an EXTERNAL proxy, what's stopping the kid from
    > simply using another proxy?
    >
    > If you want the kid (or anybody else on your network) to be able to
    > only see sites that you want them to see, set up your own proxy on a
    > separate machine, have everybody connect out through a LAN, and don't
    > allow any connections out through the firewall save those coming from
    > the proxy. After that, you only need to whitelist any pages that you
    > want to allow people to use - good luck :)
    >
    > Seriously, though, even with a local proxy it's pretty easy to break
    > out of such a network by using tunneling software, or to find porn
    > pages by (ab)using pages like Babelfish[0]. I've tested HTTPTunnel to
    > see how it hides the traffic - it uses some obscure URLs to hide the
    > outbound requests. If you actually go and visit one of those URLs,
    > you'll only see pictures of flowers.
    >
    > The Moral: You can't solve a social problem by technical means - but
    > of course while you're locking down your net, you'll teach the kid a
    > lot about computers, which might take his mind off the porn for a
    > while :)
    >

    > [0] Some of my users do that to get around a URL blocker[1]... they
    > point babelfish at a porn site and have it "translated". Text on a
    > porn site isn't that important, obviously...
    > [1] And think that I don't notice. I do, but so far nobody has ordered
    > me to tell management about them, so I don't. IF I get lawfully[2]
    > ordered to catch them, I've already got a list of usual suspects...
    > [2] That's the most important point: I AM allowed to monitor proxy
    > logs, but I haven't received order to forward anything to HR. If
    > traffic gets out of hand, that might change...
    >
    > Juergen Nieveler

    But the tunnelling still needs to connect to an endpoint somewhere.
    Regardless of what IP name was specified, the IP address is what the
    sending host will have to use to connect to the other end of the tunnel.
    So blacklist the IP address for the enpoints (or whitelist the IP
    addresses that are okay). For a small user group, like a family, you
    should be able to review the connection logs to see where the kids went,
    punish them for violating your rules, and then blacklist those sites. I
    don't recommend just doing the blacklisting without punishment otherwise
    you reinforce that behavior and end up wasting a lot of time managing
    your white- and blacklists. The easiest punishment to enforce would be
    to block any traffic from the kids' hosts for awhile. Yeah, they could
    go elsewhere but you will be nuisancing them. To give you a head start,
    you could get some web content filtering software on that proxy host.

    Vanguardx, Oct 18, 2004
  4. RadarG

    KG6VQE Guest

    Probably a simplistic answer, but I consult for a Boys and Girls club. I
    use the progrram "Cyber Sitter". It installs as a service, and can be
    password protected. Cybersitter requires a admin password in order to
    configure.

    My $0.02

    KG6VQE, Oct 18, 2004
  5. RadarG

    Vanguardx Guest

    > Probably a simplistic answer, but I consult for a Boys and Girls
    > club. I use the progrram "Cyber Sitter". It installs as a service,
    > and can be password protected. Cybersitter requires a admin password
    > in order to configure.
    >
    > My $0.02

    But as Juergen pointed out, anything on the host to which physical
    access is permited can be bypassed. If your computer has a CD/DVD drive
    then the kids could bring in a customized bootable CD, like Bart's
    bootable Windows CD, from which all of Windows will run (and using a RAM
    drive for writable storage requirements) that nothing in your install of
    Windows on the hard drive would affect. You need to put the web content
    filtering somewhere upstream of the physically accessed hosts.

    Vanguardx, Oct 18, 2004
  6. "RadarG" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for an anonymous proxy in the US that uses content filtering.

    > have a friend that needs something to prevent her son from surfing porn.

    > cant use zone alarm or net nanny but he can turn it off. I need something
    > that is difficut to bypass. Any help will be appriciated. Thanks RadarG

    I use winproxy on my firewall, and that machine is locked down. I can use it
    to filter sites from my kids and my nieces, nephews, etc. I can also then
    track where they go, if I happen to miss filtering something.

    It's not free, but it's not bad on price.

    BV.

    Benign Vanilla, Nov 4, 2004