Looking for "free"/"inexpensive" 32-bit BASIC compiler

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Richard Owlett, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. Preamble:
    My essential definition of "free" is as in "free speech".
    The GNU definition of "free" as in "free speech" would also be nice.

    Essential requirements:
    A. a "sequential" as opposed to "event driven" model
    I grew up under FORTRAN 7? and Dartmouth/Lawrence Livermore BASIC.
    I think sequentially. VB's event driven ???? drives me up wall ;)
    B. My possible application is inherently "batch" mode.
    Input data set of 4000 to 40000+ data points
    Output data set from 5000-????? data points
    C. *MUST* be intrinsically 32 bit

    In searching the WEB I come upon XBASIC.
    Is it alive and well ;?

    http://www.maxreason.com/software/xbasic/xbasic05.gif
    implies availability of graph plotting function.
    Sample code snippet is for plotting an analytical function.

    Is there provision for plotting experimental data sets?

    Is there any approximation to 3D plotting?

    I get the impression that XBASIC is "sequential" as opposed to
    VisualBasic which is explicitly event driven?
    My possible application is intrinsically "batch processing".

    I'm interested in DSP "type" applications.
    There are specialized languages/processors available.
    *BUT* I'm interested in some prototyping work for which a variant of
    BASIC would be inherently suitable.

    Thank you for any comments and pointers.
    Richard Owlett, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Richard Owlett

    Harrison Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:30:11 -0600, Richard Owlett <> wrote:

    >Preamble:
    >My essential definition of "free" is as in "free speech".
    >The GNU definition of "free" as in "free speech" would also be nice.
    >
    >Essential requirements:
    > A. a "sequential" as opposed to "event driven" model
    > I grew up under FORTRAN 7? and Dartmouth/Lawrence Livermore BASIC.
    > I think sequentially. VB's event driven ???? drives me up wall ;)
    > B. My possible application is inherently "batch" mode.
    > Input data set of 4000 to 40000+ data points
    > Output data set from 5000-????? data points
    > C. *MUST* be intrinsically 32 bit
    >
    >In searching the WEB I come upon XBASIC.
    >Is it alive and well ;?
    >
    >http://www.maxreason.com/software/xbasic/xbasic05.gif
    >implies availability of graph plotting function.
    >Sample code snippet is for plotting an analytical function.
    >
    >Is there provision for plotting experimental data sets?
    >
    >Is there any approximation to 3D plotting?
    >
    >I get the impression that XBASIC is "sequential" as opposed to
    >VisualBasic which is explicitly event driven?
    >My possible application is intrinsically "batch processing".
    >
    >I'm interested in DSP "type" applications.
    >There are specialized languages/processors available.
    >*BUT* I'm interested in some prototyping work for which a variant of
    >BASIC would be inherently suitable.
    >
    >Thank you for any comments and pointers.

    I don't know squat about programming, but if I did I'd look at
    http://sourceforge.net/ for free stuff.
    Harrison, Feb 17, 2004

  3. Richard Owlett

    °Mike° Guest

    XBasic - Last update : 2003-11-11
    http://xbasic.sourceforge.net/

    Free programming tools
    http://www.freebyte.com/programming/

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:30:11 -0600, in
    <>
    Richard Owlett scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Harrison wrote:

    > I don't know squat about programming, but if I did I'd look at
    > http://sourceforge.net/ for free stuff.

    Sorry but I do.
    If you can identify the relevance to computers of
    6J6
    12AX7
    5U5 ( G or GT )
    CK722

    I might be more polite
    Richard Owlett, Feb 17, 2004
  5. Richard Owlett, Feb 17, 2004
  6. Richard Owlett wrote:

    > Harrison wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know squat about programming, but if I did I'd look at
    >> http://sourceforge.net/ for free stuff.

    > Sorry but I do.
    > If you can identify the relevance to computers of
    > 6J6
    > 12AX7
    > 5U5 ( G or GT )

    sorry that should have been *5U4*
    Bet he didn't cath it ;]

    Richard Owlett, Feb 18, 2004
  7. Richard Owlett

    Harrison Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:47:50 -0600, Richard Owlett <> wrote:

    >Harrison wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know squat about programming, but if I did I'd look at
    >> http://sourceforge.net/ for free stuff.

    >Sorry but I do.
    >If you can identify the relevance to computers of
    >6J6
    >12AX7
    >5U5 ( G or GT )
    >CK722
    >
    >I might be more polite

    I truly don't give **** if you're polite or not and if I was the least bit interested in programming, I would have
    learned it by now. I gave you a link which may have been helpful to you, but you seemed to have blown it off.
    I have one thing left for you to blow off. Let me know when you're ready.
    Harrison, Feb 18, 2004
  8. Richard Owlett

    Sano Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:23:23 -0500, Harrison wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:47:50 -0600, Richard Owlett <> wrote:
    >
    >>Harrison wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't know squat about programming, but if I did I'd look at
    >>> http://sourceforge.net/ for free stuff.

    >>Sorry but I do.
    >>If you can identify the relevance to computers of
    >>6J6
    >>12AX7
    >>5U5 ( G or GT )
    >>CK722
    >>
    >>I might be more polite

    > I truly don't give <snip>

    You probably don't have it anyway.

    Mike was right, you are an asshat.

    Bye bye ...
    Sano, Feb 18, 2004
  9. Richard Owlett

    Sano Guest

    PMFBI

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:59:32 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

    > °Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> XBasic - Last update : 2003-11-11
    >> http://xbasic.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> Free programming tools
    >> http://www.freebyte.com/programming/
    >>

    > Thank you for useful links.
    > I'm also looking for feed back from users of "free" BASIC's
    >
    > Which should I actively pursue?
    >
    > Thank you.

    My 2 cents-

    Not what you're looking for, it's about cluster computing. But there are
    some archives; and the folks that participate may well have the info you
    pursue.

    Sano, Feb 18, 2004
  10. Richard Owlett

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:59:32 -0600, in
    <>
    Richard Owlett scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> XBasic - Last update : 2003-11-11
    >> http://xbasic.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> Free programming tools
    >> http://www.freebyte.com/programming/
    >>

    >Thank you for useful links.
    >I'm also looking for feed back from users of "free" BASIC's

    You might get better luck asking in a programming group.

    >Which should I actively pursue?

    I have no idea.

    >Thank you.

    You're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 18, 2004
  11. °Mike° wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:59:32 -0600, in
    > <>
    > Richard Owlett scrawled:
    >

    >>°Mike° wrote:
    >>

    >>>XBasic - Last update : 2003-11-11
    >>>http://xbasic.sourceforge.net/
    >>>
    >>>Free programming tools
    >>>http://www.freebyte.com/programming/
    >>>

    >>Thank you for useful links.
    >>I'm also looking for feed back from users of "free" BASIC's

    > You might get better luck asking in a programming group.

    I'm already doing that.
    Those groups tend to be "developer oriented" and I'm also looking for
    a "generic end user" perspective.

    Thanks.
    Richard Owlett, Feb 18, 2004
  12. Richard Owlett

    Harrison Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:08:31 -0500, Sano <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:23:23 -0500, Harrison wrote:

    >>>Sorry but I do.
    >>>If you can identify the relevance to computers of
    >>>6J6
    >>>12AX7
    >>>5U5 ( G or GT )
    >>>CK722