Looking for external flash recommendations for Nikon Coolpix 5700 camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by All Things Mopar, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. Good morning, all!

    I'm in the market for a replacement for my Vivitar 728
    external flash that I've been using with my Nikon 5700. The
    Vivitar suddenly & mysteriously just stopped charging a few
    days ago so it can no longer be used.

    I would appreciate some make and model recommendations as to
    what flash I should buy now. Here are my requirement:

    1) electrically compatible with the Nikon 5700, meaning that
    it will attach to the 5700's flash shoe and take firing
    signals from the 5700 but is voltage compatible so it
    doesn't fry the Nikon. NO communication as to exposure or
    focus is expected or wanted (my current Vivitar can do TTL
    auto exposure and auto focus but only with a Nikon DSLR).

    2) Very simple flash, no fancy frills or feature. No
    controls required beyond a handy guide number chart to set
    exposure manually

    3) Guide Number 90-100

    4) Price: under US$100

    5) Tilting flash head from 0 to 90 degrees from horizontal

    6) Nice-to-have: extendable flash head and fresnel lens to
    put light out at correct angle depending on camera's zoom
    lens. e.g., my current Vivitar can be set from 28mm to 85mm
    (35mm equivalent).

    7) Reliable! Can't belive my Vivitar went south in only 3
    months! It looks like the battery contacts inside the flash
    are intermittent so no juice gets to the electronics
    anymore.

    If there are important features that my Nikon 5700 can use
    that I should be aware of, please tell me what to look for.
    Thanks for any and all help.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry Rivers

    "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm!" -
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
    explained by stupidity!" - Hanlon's Razor

    Delete the reverse SPAM to reply by E-mail
    All Things Mopar, Dec 10, 2004

  2. All Things Mopar

    bob Guest

    All Things Mopar <> wrote in

    > I would appreciate some make and model recommendations as to
    > what flash I should buy now. Here are my requirement:

    I've always had good luck and good results with SunPak flashes. The last
    one I bought is probably 15 years old. I have one with a Nikon dedicated
    module, but they make them in non dedicated versions too, if that's what
    you want, and it's pretty easy to "undedicate" an off brand module by
    pulling the extra pins out of it ;-)

    You can get a 433d for $76 at B&H. GN 120, tilt and swivel head,
    adjustable power. For $20 more you can get a 444D which has a manual push
    pull frensel lens and optional AC power (but seems to otherwise be the
    same unit).

    I have a 433D that I got used at a camera store for about $15. Works
    great.

    Bob
    bob, Dec 10, 2004

  3. bob commented courteously ...

    > I've always had good luck and good results with SunPak
    > flashes. The last one I bought is probably 15 years old. I
    > have one with a Nikon dedicated module, but they make them
    > in non dedicated versions too, if that's what you want,

    and
    > it's pretty easy to "undedicate" an off brand module by
    > pulling the extra pins out of it ;-)

    Hi, Bob. I assume you'd recommend I get the Nikon version
    for the least in problems, right?

    > You can get a 433d for $76 at B&H. GN 120, tilt and swivel
    > head, adjustable power. For $20 more you can get a 444D
    > which has a manual push pull frensel lens and optional AC
    > power (but seems to otherwise be the same unit).

    What's "B&H"?

    I can't honestly say I saw that much difference with the
    pull-out fresnel lens thingie. Have you used this to
    advantage with your camera?

    Thanks for the info.

    All Things Mopar, Dec 11, 2004
  4. All Things Mopar

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 06:03:49 -0600, in rec.photo.digital All Things Mopar
    <> wrote:

    >What's "B&H"?

    A very reputable store in Manhattan that has decent prices.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Dec 11, 2004
  5. bob commented courteously ...

    > You can get a 433d for $76 at B&H. GN 120, tilt and swivel
    > head, adjustable power. For $20 more you can get a 444D
    > which has a manual push pull frensel lens and optional AC
    > power (but seems to otherwise be the same unit).

    Hi, Bob.

    I Googled for 'sunpak 433d' and came up with a number of
    sites that sell it. I also went to Sunpak's web site. It's
    strange to me that Sunpak neither sells directly nor has
    very good info on their products. There was scarcely more
    info that you'd provided me on the 433D.

    Anyway, based on what I learned and your recommendation, I
    searched for the best price and came up with
    http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/. Interestingly, when the
    order confirmation came to me it was called "B & H" but had
    the other URL.

    Thanks a bunch for your help.

    All Things Mopar, Dec 11, 2004
  6. Ed Ruf commented courteously ...

    >>What's "B&H"?

    > A very reputable store in Manhattan that has decent

    prices.

    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

    Thanks, Ed.

    B & H must have an alter ego. As I mentioned just now in a
    reply to Bob, I wound up buying the Sunpak 433D from
    http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/, but when the order
    confirmation came to me, it said "B & H".

    All Things Mopar, Dec 11, 2004
  7. All Things Mopar

    bob Guest

    All Things Mopar <> wrote in

    > Anyway, based on what I learned and your recommendation, I

    Hi Jerry,

    I think you'll be happy with your 433 when you get it.

    I've been using my 433 quite a bit recently. Mostly I leave it at the wide
    setting. I think it difuses the light a little, making it less harsh. The
    flip up bounce card is handy. It makes a big difference, although if you
    don't have a ceiling to bounce off of, the range is pretty limited.

    Mostly I leave it set at the blue star ("ttl"), which works pretty well
    most of the time. I always look at the image on the LCD to see if it's
    reasonable or not.

    I use NiCd rechargables in mine, which seem to perform well, despite
    warnings to the contrary.

    Always make sure the flash is completely mounted to the camera. If it's not
    pushed all the way into the shoe it won't fire.

    Bob
    bob, Dec 13, 2004
  8. bob commented courteously ...

    > I think you'll be happy with your 433 when you get it.

    Hi, Bob.

    Thanks for the followup message as well as your
    recommendations on how best to use the 433. I've always
    found that talking to someone who owns a piece of equipment
    is superior to reading reviews.

    Now, if my crappy health would improve, I'd go back to a
    museum and test the fix of my Nikon! It's hard to believe
    that it only needed a cleaning, considering the dang thing
    didn't work well from Day 1, but maybe some sensor had crud
    on it.

    All Things Mopar, Dec 13, 2004