Looking for Entry DigiCam

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by chuck, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. chuck

    chuck Guest

    Hey Y'all,

    I'm looking for an entry-level digital camera.

    I just took home a Fuji FinePix 2650 2MP camera
    with both optical and digital zoom. It really was the
    camera I wanted ... EXCEPT:

    A. The display was really very dark and dim and made
    finding and framing the subject really difficult.

    2. The resulting pictures, when downloaded, were really
    very dark and gloomy. I took both indoor flash pix and
    outdoor flash-less pix. In all cases the results were
    very dark.

    C. The pix were kinda grainy, even at small magnifications
    on the PC screen -- kinda jagged edges. Uncool.

    Now the camera has the features I want, and the price was right.
    Just the results were lousy.

    In other cameras in this range, what should I be looking at??

    thanks,

    chuck
    chuck, Dec 16, 2003

  2. chuck

    plinko Guest

    For one thing, don't even consider digital zoom as some kind of advantage.
    The only kind of zoom is optical.

    I'd also consider the Nikon 2100 or Canon A60.
    plinko, Dec 16, 2003

  3. chuck

    Casey J. Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 21:42:42 GMT, chuck
    <> wrote:

    >Hey Y'all,
    >
    >I'm looking for an entry-level digital camera.
    >
    >I just took home a Fuji FinePix 2650 2MP camera
    >with both optical and digital zoom. It really was the
    >camera I wanted ... EXCEPT:
    >
    >A. The display was really very dark and dim and made
    >finding and framing the subject really difficult.
    >
    >2. The resulting pictures, when downloaded, were really
    >very dark and gloomy. I took both indoor flash pix and
    >outdoor flash-less pix. In all cases the results were
    >very dark.
    >
    >C. The pix were kinda grainy, even at small magnifications
    >on the PC screen -- kinda jagged edges. Uncool.
    >
    >Now the camera has the features I want, and the price was right.
    >Just the results were lousy.
    >
    >In other cameras in this range, what should I be looking at??
    >
    >thanks,
    >
    >chuck

    Hopefully, you can get a refund. Get the Canon A60, it'll cost you
    about $50-$75 more, but worth every penny. Probably the best 2 Meg
    camera. It also has the autofocus assist lamp - very handy for indoor
    and night shots. (I'm admittedly biased, had an A20, now an A80, and
    planning on a 10D-type next year. Canon makes great digital cameras.)

    Casey
    Casey J., Dec 16, 2003