    Thanks a bundle.

    --
    Sky
    Skyse Ezeor, Dec 23, 2005

  2. Skyse Ezeor, <>, the straight-out, feathery honky,
    and employee who deals in saleable rubbish, averred:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm looking for a DVD recorder, one for my XP/2003 server box and the
    > other for my multi-boot 98SE/W2k, Fedora, Suse and Ubuntu box, or
    > shouldn't that matter?
    >
    > Will I need to buy two different DVD's or more? And will I need to
    > make sure they have the appropriate dirvers? I have done searches on
    > Google for the DVD and medium but I would like opinions on favourites
    > any of you have.
    >
    > I just know this is going to be a ruddy nightmare.
    >
    > Thanks a bundle.

    Why not use a VCR?

    is but a dream within a dream.
    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Dec 23, 2005

  3. Skyse Ezeor

    Skyse Ezeor Guest

    Lord Gazwad of Grantham , wrote in message
    .
    pus.and.mucus:
    > Skyse Ezeor, <>, the straight-out, feathery
    > honky, and employee who deals in saleable rubbish, averred:
    >
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> I'm looking for a DVD recorder, one for my XP/2003 server box and the
    >> other for my multi-boot 98SE/W2k, Fedora, Suse and Ubuntu box, or
    >> shouldn't that matter?
    >>
    >> Will I need to buy two different DVD's or more? And will I need to
    >> make sure they have the appropriate dirvers? I have done searches on
    >> Google for the DVD and medium but I would like opinions on favourites
    >> any of you have.
    >>
    >> I just know this is going to be a ruddy nightmare.
    >>
    >> Thanks a bundle.

    > Why not use a VCR?

    Could do, but it's busted. I tried cooking a toastie in it once. What DVD
    drives have you got. Is it any good? And what medium do you recommend?

    Do you know when DL/DS capability in medium and recorders is coming out?

    --
    Sky
    Skyse Ezeor, Dec 23, 2005
  4. Howdy!

    "Skyse Ezeor" <> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm looking for a DVD recorder, one for my XP/2003 server box and the

    other
    > for my multi-boot 98SE/W2k, Fedora, Suse and Ubuntu box, or shouldn't that
    > matter?
    >
    > Will I need to buy two different DVD's or more? And will I need to make

    sure
    > they have the appropriate dirvers? I have done searches on Google for the
    > DVD and medium but I would like opinions on favourites any of you have.

    If by "two different DVD's" you mean "two different DRIVES", well,
    for two computers, yes, unless you have a decent external unit on a fast
    enough interface (and USB 1.1 ain't fast enough.)

    Both drives, unless bought bare, will have software with them for
    the Windows side. Dunno about Fedora/SUSE/Ubuntu - those, you might want to
    check the appropriate newsgroups for recommendations as to drives and
    software.

    AND - it depends on what you're planning to do with them. Monster
    size CDs for data storage? Self-created movies? Or *ahem* making backups
    of DVDs that you've purchased?

    > I just know this is going to be a ruddy nightmare.

    If you know enough to run those Linux flavors, it ought to be a walk
    in the park.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Dec 23, 2005
  5. Howdy!

    > Do you know when DL/DS capability in medium and recorders is coming out?

    In recorders? About February 2005 is when I started seeing DL
    drives.

    In media? At that same time - I now have a 15 pack sitting sealed
    in my living room for DVD+R DL B) Dunno about in your part of the
    multiverse, though.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Dec 23, 2005
  6. Skyse Ezeor

    Skyse Ezeor Guest

    Ralph Wade Phillips , wrote in message
    :
    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Skyse Ezeor" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Do you know when DL/DS capability in medium and recorders is coming
    >> out?

    > In recorders? About February 2005 is when I started seeing DL
    > drives.

    Specifically double layered - double sided, is what I pointed to.

    > In media? At that same time - I now have a 15 pack sitting
    > sealed in my living room for DVD+R DL B) Dunno about in your part of
    > the multiverse, though.

    UK

    --
    Sky
    Skyse Ezeor, Dec 23, 2005
  7. Skyse Ezeor

    Skyse Ezeor Guest

    Ralph Wade Phillips , wrote in message
    :
    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Skyse Ezeor" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> I'm looking for a DVD recorder, one for my XP/2003 server box and
    >> the other for my multi-boot 98SE/W2k, Fedora, Suse and Ubuntu box,
    >> or shouldn't that matter?
    >>
    >> Will I need to buy two different DVD's or more? And will I need to
    >> make sure they have the appropriate dirvers? I have done searches on
    >> Google for the DVD and medium but I would like opinions on
    >> favourites any of you have.

    > If by "two different DVD's" you mean "two different DRIVES",
    > well, for two computers, yes, unless you have a decent external unit
    > on a fast enough interface (and USB 1.1 ain't fast enough.)

    Firewire or USB 2.0 for externals? Which would you go for WinLux?

    > Both drives, unless bought bare, will have software with them
    > for the Windows side. Dunno about Fedora/SUSE/Ubuntu - those, you
    > might want to check the appropriate newsgroups for recommendations as
    > to drives and software.

    You mean each one is likely to have different software? Not universal? Damn,
    and blast!

    > AND - it depends on what you're planning to do with them.
    > Monster size CDs for data storage? Self-created movies? Or *ahem*
    > making backups of DVDs that you've purchased?

    All of the above. But initially I want to put video of my own creation with
    various music I like then play them on my HiDef's and Plasma's over Xmas at
    shindigs I'm holding.

    >> I just know this is going to be a ruddy nightmare.

    > If you know enough to run those Linux flavors, it ought to be
    > a walk in the park.

    Let's hope it's not a kernel rebuilding exercise.

    Cheers, Bud! Any brand preferences on both, while you're there?

    --
    Sky
    Skyse Ezeor, Dec 23, 2005
  8. Skyse Ezeor

    Skyse Ezeor Guest

    :

    .
    >> pus.and.mucus:
    >>> Skyse Ezeor, <>, the straight-out, feathery
    >>> honky, and employee who deals in saleable rubbish, averred:

    >>> Why not use a VCR?

    >> Could do, but it's busted. I tried cooking a toastie in it once.
    >> What DVD drives have you got. Is it any good? And what medium do you
    >> recommend?
    >>
    >> Do you know when DL/DS capability in medium and recorders is coming
    >> out?

    > I have lite-on and LG, they both work fine with linux and windies...
    > Well, sometimes not quite so good with windies, but that's usually
    > because of the cruddy software that comes with them...

    Yeah, software is about the only thing that messes with my Windows boxes,
    linux is another matter though, as that to can sometimes be problematic.

    I like LG, all round OK products, Samsung are beginning to come up through
    the rank and file too.

    What media do you prefer?

    --
    Sky
    Skyse Ezeor, Dec 23, 2005
  9. Skyse Ezeor

    Larry Qualig Guest

    Skyse Ezeor wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm looking for a DVD recorder, one for my XP/2003 server box and the other
    > for my multi-boot 98SE/W2k, Fedora, Suse and Ubuntu box, or shouldn't that
    > matter?
    >
    > Will I need to buy two different DVD's or more? And will I need to make sure
    > they have the appropriate dirvers? I have done searches on Google for the
    > DVD and medium but I would like opinions on favourites any of you have.
    >
    > I just know this is going to be a ruddy nightmare.
    >
    > Thanks a bundle.

    I'm using a Sony DVD recorder (yeah-yeah, I know about the CD's with
    the DRM stuff). The model is something like DRU-720A or something. I
    bought it about a year ago at NewEgg.com for $74 and it came with a
    free copy of Nero burning ROM. (Latest Windows version of Nero...
    full-featured, not some stripped down demo.) They even give you black
    and beige bezels so that the color matches your case.

    The DVD supports all the DVD formats, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RAM, CD-RW,
    etc. It requires no special drivers (the generic ATAPI drivers work
    perfectly). Just install it and power-up the machine. Work with both XP
    and Mandriva 2005LE and Ubuntu.

    Despite the DRM issue with Sony, this product actually works pretty
    darn well. The recording speeds are fast too.
    Larry Qualig, Dec 23, 2005
  10. Skyse Ezeor

    Guest

    Skyse Ezeor wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm looking for a DVD recorder, one for my XP/2003 server box and the other
    > for my multi-boot 98SE/W2k, Fedora, Suse and Ubuntu box, or shouldn't that
    > matter?

    You can either get an internal DVD recorder or an external USB based
    DVD recorder.
    Both work fine with all of systems mentioned above. You will need to
    install a usb-2 driver for Windows 98SE.

    The drivers for XP and 2003 will be detected and configured during
    installation. If you add it later, it should realized that you have
    the DVD installed and configure itself to add the new software.

    The Linux systems will all use modprobe during the boot-up cycle to
    determine what devices are present and how they should be configured.

    Last I checked - about a year ago - the USB-2 drivers for Linux were
    still not "Hot Pluggable" - that is, you could not plug in and unplug
    USB-2 drives without properly unmounting them first.

    Windows reccomends that you use the "Remove Device" option (in your
    system tray) before removing USB drives.

    Typically, DVD "drives" are imaged, usually on some area of the hard
    drive, then the image or preparation is copied to the media - either
    "all at once" or "track-at-a-time".

    Linux does not include tools that might be used for Piracy. Getting
    the drivers for the DVD-CSS encryption scheme require that the software
    be downloaded AFTER accepting a license agreement in which the user
    agrees not to alter or modify the decoder and agrees not to use the
    decoder to publish decrypted versions of the content stored on
    commercial DVDs. Essentially, the DVD-CSS has provisions for only
    permitting decryption in certain countries. A DVD recorded for the US
    cannot be used in a DVD player in Japan, and vice versa. When the
    DVD-Decoder is downloaded, some attempts are made to validate the
    country and to make sure that the coder is configured for that country.

    The decoder is available in several downloaded players, including the
    downloadable version of RealPlayer for Linux.

    > Will I need to buy two different DVD's or more?

    Actually, the DVD complies with a standard which has been published,
    along with the player's compliance to ATAPI. These standards have been
    published. In fact, many of them were first established and
    implemented in Linux and Open Source.

    The only thing that might be a bit confusing is that Microsoft has
    tried to blurr the lines between driver, format, protocol, and
    application. They provide a DVD-Writer with XP but you need to
    purchase burner software for 2K, and 95SE. Their XP Writer function
    has been integrated into applications like Windows Explorer - but lacks
    a number of important features. The third party software has features
    which may be less standard.

    In Linux the "driver" for DVDs is broken out into it's component parts,
    and those components are interfaced in standard ways. For example:

    - the ATA driver - this converts IDE signals into the appropriate
    signals for the device.

    - the ATA-SCSI driver - this makes the ATA driver look like a
    standard device.

    - the SCSI to bdevswitch device - this makes the SCSI device look
    like a generic
    Linux "block mode" device. These devices include read, write, and
    seek capabilities,
    as well as, "flush", "mount", and "unmount".to make sure that
    the operating
    system doesn't try to write data to your DVD as you are
    trying to eject it.

    - the ISOfs formatter - this is a separate application which makes
    sure that the
    formatting of the media is appropriate to the device. There
    are formatters for
    DVDs, CDs, hard drives, even Windows drives. The only
    restriction is NTFS,
    which is appearantly very vulnerable to race conditions and
    can be easily
    corrupted. Some vendors offer both read/write support but
    say "use at your
    own risk" other only offer "read-only" access to make sure
    that data is not
    corrupted by Linux. In this case, any corrutpion is
    Microsoft's.

    - the Buffering engine - when writing CDs and DVDs, timing is
    critical. Data cannot
    be delayed at all. When you start the "burn", the system
    must burn
    an entire track at a time. Many recorders have the
    buffering built into the
    hard drive, but it's still critical that the entire track be
    written to the
    drive as quickly as possible - with not significant delays.

    - the MPEG4 compression engine - If you want to record Video, you
    probably want
    to convert it to either MPEG or MPEG4. The standard for
    DVDs is MPEG4.
    The software to compress this video can also be used to set
    the resolution
    of both the input and output, Better compression tools
    include dithering to
    convert NTSC resolution into HD, and vice-versa. This is
    very important if you
    are converting handy-cam content into a DVD.

    - the DVD-CSS encryption engine - This is the piece you actually
    have to download.
    DVD-CSS provides encryption for specific country codes.
    Different countries
    have different laws regarding censorship, ratings, and
    other "filtering" of content.
    Normally, you can get encryption for your own country.
    Getting international
    versions which support multiple countries may require
    different codes. Some
    DVD drives include their own DVD-CSS chip, but Linux will
    probably not use that.

    - the DES encryption engine - The DVD-CSS encryption engine uses the
    DES
    encryption engine usually in 48 bit mode. Most United
    States DES
    engines support up to 64 bit encryption and triple DES
    (which is actually
    just breaking the 128 bit key into two keys and then using
    a pipline like -
    "cat file | descrypt key1 | descrept key2 > cryptfile"

    - the DVD "directory" - DVDs usually have some presentation or menu
    options,
    these are provided using a directory builder. It's
    similar to building a Web site.

    - Packaging - Linux provides all of these components within their
    libraries
    (DVD-CSS is more like a "plug-in"). Each of the core
    features listed above
    is available as command line executables, but they can also
    be compiled
    into different packages. In addition, Java-2 also
    provides these core functions
    from the block mode interface on up. You can combine
    these into a single
    command line application, or into a fully loaded
    commercial application such
    as RealPlayer as done..

    > And will I need to make sure
    > they have the appropriate dirvers?

    As described above, all of the drivers and components are either "in
    there" or
    can quickly be added. The DVD-CSS portion can also be installed very
    easily,
    but you need to accept the terms set out by the organization that
    licenses DVD
    technology.

    If all you want to do is save a "Data" DVD, there is nothing extra
    required.
    If you want to Publish "Video" DVDs, there are contracts to sign and
    MPAA agreements to accept and/or sign, there may also be some money
    involved, depending on what you are distributing, and to whom. Keep in
    mind that Piracy of Videos or Film carries much more severe fines and
    prison terms than piracy of audio or text. The fines can be as high as
    $250,000 per offense, and as high as 15 years in prison. One of the
    reasons for requiring that you download the DVD-CSS software, is
    because it makes it easier to identify and prosecute Video pirates.

    > I have done searches on Google for the
    > DVD and medium but I would like opinions on favourites any of you have.
    >
    > I just know this is going to be a ruddy nightmare.

    Actually, it's not really that bad. All you need to do is plug in your
    DVD-Burner and boot up Linux. The system will find it and make the
    appropriate configurations.

    Unless you really want to create your own special applications or
    videos, you probably only need to download a DVD-Player such as
    RealAudio for Linux (there are others available as well) - most include
    some form of video service as well.

    In fact, I had to download a special DVD player for my XP system, to
    get the right
    country code on my DVD-CSS decoder. Once it was installed, the other
    players worked as well.

    > Thanks a bundle.
    >
    > --
    > Sky
    , Dec 23, 2005
  11. Skyse Ezeor

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 21:24:02 +0930, Skyse Ezeor wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm looking for a DVD recorder, one for my XP/2003 server box and the other
    > for my multi-boot 98SE/W2k, Fedora, Suse and Ubuntu box, or shouldn't that
    > matter?
    >
    > Will I need to buy two different DVD's or more? And will I need to make sure
    > they have the appropriate dirvers? I have done searches on Google for the
    > DVD and medium but I would like opinions on favourites any of you have.
    >
    > I just know this is going to be a ruddy nightmare.
    >
    > Thanks a bundle.

    You will probably want to either buy two DVD units or a USB external one
    to move from machine to machine. This is NOT going to be a nightmare -
    just go to your local BestBuy, OfficeMax, CircuitCity or whatever and get
    the cheapest one you like. It will work. No drivers, no muss, no fuss, no
    bother - this ain't MS-land. My drive is a $39 (after rebate) MadDog unit
    I got from OfficMax last year - cheapest one I could find.
    ray, Dec 23, 2005
  12. Skyse Ezeor

    relic Guest

    Skyse Ezeor wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm looking for a DVD recorder, one for my XP/2003 server box and the
    > other for my multi-boot 98SE/W2k, Fedora, Suse and Ubuntu box, or
    > shouldn't that matter?
    >
    > Will I need to buy two different DVD's or more? And will I need to
    > make sure they have the appropriate dirvers? I have done searches on
    > Google for the DVD and medium but I would like opinions on favourites
    > any of you have.
    >
    > I just know this is going to be a ruddy nightmare.
    >
    > Thanks a bundle.

    I bur a lot of DVD's and I've tried several, I now buy only Plextor burners.

    Media: TDK, Memorex, and Fuji are the worst! Sony and Taiyo Yuden are
    marginal, Verbatim and Ritek are the best. Rebranded Ritek's, "Dysan" are
    being tested now.

    --
    They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.
    relic, Dec 23, 2005
  13. Skyse Ezeor

    Donald Guest

    www.google.com

    Donald, Dec 23, 2005
  14. Skyse Ezeor

    Bie Ga Lu Guest

    Re: Any support groups for health obsessions???

    Bie Ga Lu, Dec 23, 2005
  15. Re: My esteem problems...

    Haromohana Nandakumar, Dec 28, 2005
  16. Re: Does anybody else feel like this?.....death

    Miroslaw Bjabon, Dec 28, 2005
  17. Re: Weird stuff in my mouth..

    Chadwick Clubberforth-Clinningpetch, Dec 28, 2005
  18. Re: constant daydreaming problem

    Varinderjeet-ji Solaimathi, Dec 28, 2005
  19. Re: Will vitamins ease my anxiety

    Dyonizy Zambecki, Dec 28, 2005
  20. Re: CAN I LOOSE HAIR FROM STRESS?

    Zalman Rivkind, Dec 28, 2005