    here]. Problem is, I can't find anyone who can *supply* distilled water -
    can anyone help (and no, boiling the jug isn't the way I want to do it...)

    TIA
    The Hobbit, Sep 18, 2005

  2. The Hobbit

    Hank Guest

    Boil water and collect steam? Can't be any more pure than that surely.
    Hank, Sep 18, 2005

  3. The Hobbit

    EMB Guest

    The Hobbit wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got a water cooled PC (not mine) which needs topping up, I've been told
    > we have to only use distilled water + [insert coolant additive of choice
    > here]. Problem is, I can't find anyone who can *supply* distilled water -
    > can anyone help (and no, boiling the jug isn't the way I want to do it...)

    Repco used to sell it for topping up batteries - AFAIK they still have
    it on the shelf.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Sep 18, 2005
  4. The Hobbit

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:00:04 +1200, "The Hobbit"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I've got a water cooled PC (not mine) which needs topping up, I've been told
    >we have to only use distilled water + [insert coolant additive of choice
    >here]. Problem is, I can't find anyone who can *supply* distilled water -
    >can anyone help (and no, boiling the jug isn't the way I want to do it...)
    >
    >TIA

    Use the Ice out of the Freezer.
    XP, Sep 19, 2005
  5. The Hobbit

    XP Guest

    On 18 Sep 2005 15:07:54 -0700, "Hank" <> wrote:

    >Boil water and collect steam? Can't be any more pure than that surely.

    No just melt the Ice out of the Feezer..
    XP, Sep 19, 2005
  6. "XP" <> wrote in message
    > On 18 Sep 2005 15:07:54 -0700, "Hank" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Boil water and collect steam? Can't be any more pure than that surely.

    > No just melt the Ice out of the Feezer..

    Distilled water is regular water that has been turned to steam and
    recondensed. Particles do not turn to water vapor and so are left out.

    How would freezing water remove the contaminants?

    I believe the waste water from a dehumidifier is distilled but not 100%
    sure.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Sep 19, 2005
  7. Used to be able to get it from battery shops/manufactures, Exide, Battery
    Man,
    places like that!

    Otis E Levator, Sep 19, 2005
  8. The Hobbit

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:50:32 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz" <>
    wrote:

    >"XP" <> wrote in message
    >> On 18 Sep 2005 15:07:54 -0700, "Hank" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Boil water and collect steam? Can't be any more pure than that surely.

    >> No just melt the Ice out of the Feezer..
    >>

    >Distilled water is regular water that has been turned to steam and
    >recondensed. Particles do not turn to water vapor and so are left out.
    >
    >How would freezing water remove the contaminants?

    I did not state freezing water, Read what posted.

    >I believe the waste water from a dehumidifier is distilled but not 100%
    >sure.

    I am referring to the Ice that builds up in the older Freezers, this it
    distilled, just as the dehumidifier water is..
    XP, Sep 19, 2005
  9. The Hobbit

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:13:18 +1200, "Otis E Levator"
    <> wrote:

    >Used to be able to get it from battery shops/manufactures, Exide, Battery
    >Man,
    >places like that!

    They sell more batterys now than they used too :)
    Bret, Sep 19, 2005
  10. "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    > "XP" <> wrote in message
    >> On 18 Sep 2005 15:07:54 -0700, "Hank" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Boil water and collect steam? Can't be any more pure than that surely.

    >> No just melt the Ice out of the Feezer..
    >>

    > Distilled water is regular water that has been turned to steam and
    > recondensed. Particles do not turn to water vapor and so are left out.
    >
    > How would freezing water remove the contaminants?
    >
    > I believe the waste water from a dehumidifier is distilled but not 100%
    > sure.

    You were ambiguous but OK your theory could be right.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Sep 19, 2005
  11. "The Hobbit" wrote:

    >Problem is, I can't find anyone who can *supply* distilled water -
    >can anyone help

    I had a whole lot land on my roof and lawn today - in solid and liquid
    form.
    Steve Marshall, Sep 19, 2005
  12. The Hobbit

    Rob Guest

    > "XP" <> wrote in message
    > > On 18 Sep 2005 15:07:54 -0700, "Hank" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Boil water and collect steam? Can't be any more pure than that surely.

    > > No just melt the Ice out of the Feezer..
    > >

    > Distilled water is regular water that has been turned to steam and
    > recondensed. Particles do not turn to water vapor and so are left out.
    >
    > How would freezing water remove the contaminants?
    >
    > I believe the waste water from a dehumidifier is distilled but not 100%
    > sure.

    The ice that builds up on the sides of your freezer(not frost free versions)
    would be pure water.
    Rob, Sep 19, 2005
  13. The Hobbit

    Fishb8 Guest

    How much do you need. De-ionised water is used in high pressure boilers as
    feed water, Where do you live? Contact Energy in Otahuhu or Southdown makes
    their own. My workplace, Huntly Power Station has hundreds of tons at any
    one time. You only need 5 litres max?

    Fishb8, Sep 19, 2005
  14. The Hobbit

    EMB Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > The Hobbit wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I've got a water cooled PC (not mine) which needs topping up, I've
    >> been told we have to only use distilled water + [insert coolant
    >> additive of choice here]. Problem is, I can't find anyone who can
    >> *supply* distilled water - can anyone help (and no, boiling the jug
    >> isn't the way I want to do it...)
    >>

    > Repco used to sell it for topping up batteries - AFAIK they still have
    > it on the shelf.

    I checked this afternoon - they still sell it.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Sep 19, 2005
  15. The Hobbit

    Guest

    <I had a whole lot land on my roof and lawn today - in solid and liquid
    form.>

    Like he said, rain is distilled water and will generally be pure enough
    for what you want....and it's free.

    I've used rainwater for topping up my car batteries for many years.

    If you live in Auckland (sea on all sides) or an industrial location
    you may best forget it....probably too much sea salt and/or other
    impurites in it, whatever direction the wind is blowing. Otherwise just
    avoid rain from driving onshore falls
    , Sep 19, 2005
  16. The Hobbit

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:00:04 +1200, in message
     <FrlXe.12811$>, The Hobbit wrote:

    > I've got a water cooled PC (not mine) which needs topping up, I've been told
    > we have to only use distilled water + [insert coolant additive of choice
    > here]. Problem is, I can't find anyone who can *supply* distilled water -
    > can anyone help (and no, boiling the jug isn't the way I want to do it...)

    It just falls out of the sky.
    Catch some while you have the chance.
    http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/index.php?alias=wellington
    You're in luck -- it's raining today and tomorrow.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Sep 19, 2005
  17. The Hobbit

    Jerry Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:00:04 +1200, in message
    > <FrlXe.12811$>, The Hobbit wrote:
    >

    >>I've got a water cooled PC (not mine) which needs topping up, I've been told
    >>we have to only use distilled water + [insert coolant additive of choice
    >>here]. Problem is, I can't find anyone who can *supply* distilled water -
    >>can anyone help (and no, boiling the jug isn't the way I want to do it...)

    > It just falls out of the sky.
    > Catch some while you have the chance.
    > http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/index.php?alias=wellington
    > You're in luck -- it's raining today and tomorrow.

    I seem to recall that rainwater has condensed on dust particles, and
    picks up impurities in the air, it isn't distilled.
    Jerry, Sep 19, 2005
  18. The Hobbit

    Harry Guest

    The Hobbit wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got a water cooled PC (not mine) which needs topping up, I've been
    > told we have to only use distilled water + [insert coolant additive of
    > choice here]. Problem is, I can't find anyone who can *supply* distilled
    > water - can anyone help (and no, boiling the jug isn't the way I want to
    > do it...)

    Most garages have distilled water. It is used to top up car batteries.
    You can but it in bottles.
    Harry, Sep 19, 2005
  19. The Hobbit

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:41:24 +1200, in message
     <432e95bf$>, Jerry wrote:

    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    > > On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:00:04 +1200, in message
    > > <FrlXe.12811$>, The Hobbit wrote:
    > >

    > >>I've got a water cooled PC (not mine) which needs topping up, I've been told
    > >>we have to only use distilled water + [insert coolant additive of choice
    > >>here]. Problem is, I can't find anyone who can *supply* distilled water -
    > >>can anyone help (and no, boiling the jug isn't the way I want to do it...)

    > > It just falls out of the sky.
    > > Catch some while you have the chance.
    > > http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/index.php?alias=wellington
    > > You're in luck -- it's raining today and tomorrow.

    > I seem to recall that rainwater has condensed on dust particles, and
    > picks up impurities in the air, it isn't distilled.

    Pretty minimal.

    The distilled water you buy across the counter isn't produced in a
    chip-foundry grade "clean room" either.

    Also, check whether the stuff you are buying is _distilled_ water or
    _de-ionized_ water (not the same thing).
    Ralph Fox, Sep 19, 2005
  20. The Hobbit

    The Hobbit Guest

    "Fishb8" <> wrote in message
    > How much do you need. De-ionised water is used in high pressure boilers as
    > feed water, Where do you live? Contact Energy in Otahuhu or Southdown
    > makes their own. My workplace, Huntly Power Station has hundreds of tons
    > at any one time. You only need 5 litres max?

    <Snip>

    Crikey, 5 litres would be more than enough - I'm in Auckland - planning to
    check out Repco and see if they can help today...
    The Hobbit, Sep 19, 2005