    can get sharp and up close pics of race cars going 100 - 180 mph. Looking
    for recommendations!

    Thanks!
    Von Fourche, Apr 4, 2004

  2. Von Fourche

    John Navas Guest

    In <lGObc.15142$> on Sun, 04 Apr 2004
    07:19:45 GMT, "Von Fourche" <> wrote:

    > I'm looking to buy a new digital camera that's quick enough to take
    >excellent/sharp photos of race cars (Formula 1) going around 180 mph. All
    >my little digi cam does it get blurs of the cars. I need something that can
    >take sharp photos and also something that doesn't make me wait two seconds
    >until I can take the next picture. The photo images don't need to be
    >magazine/journalist quality, but very nice to excellent image quality would
    >be nice. Also, need a camera with a good optical zoom. I really don't want
    >one that I can replace the lens with another lens. Anything good under
    >$1,000.00? Anything good around $700.00? I just got the latest Consumer
    >Reports, they list the Nikon Coolpix 5700 as the top 5 megapixel cam.
    >Would something like this be good for my needs? Would that be quick enough
    >for sports/racing? What about Sony? Again, it needs to be fast enough so I
    >can get sharp and up close pics of race cars going 100 - 180 mph. Looking
    >for recommendations!

    Arguably the best choice in a consumer digital camera is the Panasonic
    Lumix DMC-FZ10 with image-stabilized Leica 12X zoom for under $500
    <http://www.hotbuyselectronics.com/item_detail.php?item_id=105408>.

    But to get really good results, you're going to need a digital SLR and a long
    fast lens, although the cost would be about twice your budget; e.g., Nikon D70
    ($1000, or $1300 with the good 18-70mm kit lens) and Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8D ED
    ($800).

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas