Looking for CPU Fan Specifications

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Joe, Jul 10, 2007.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Hi
    I am looking to locate replacement CPU cooling fans so as to allow me
    to replace the fan only and not disturb the heat sink/Motherboard
    'connection' and not cause any undue movement of the board.

    I can locate a number of fans that match the fan size--external
    dimensions-but have not been able to match the RPM/Airflow which is
    what I believe is needed.

    I see some what appears to be super high RPM speeds for replacement
    fans--above 40000--which should be quite the noise maker....but may be
    necessary for some AMD units.

    I apologize for the vague description, but I am looking to continue
    the search. I am uncomfortable removing Heat Sinks on older
    motherboards--especially the smaller footprint Intel factory assembled
    pieces as the heat sink paste seems to turn to glue and not want to
    release easily. Sometimes the CPU comes with it and that is not what I
    want.

    Thanks in Advance for any assistance in locating specs or even a fan
    supplier that is aware...

    Us.

    Joe, Jul 10, 2007

  2. Joe wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am looking to locate replacement CPU cooling fans so as to allow me
    > to replace the fan only and not disturb the heat sink/Motherboard
    > 'connection' and not cause any undue movement of the board.
    >
    > I can locate a number of fans that match the fan size--external
    > dimensions-but have not been able to match the RPM/Airflow which is
    > what I believe is needed.
    >
    > I see some what appears to be super high RPM speeds for replacement
    > fans--above 40000--which should be quite the noise maker....but may be
    > necessary for some AMD units.
    >
    > I apologize for the vague description, but I am looking to continue
    > the search. I am uncomfortable removing Heat Sinks on older
    > motherboards--especially the smaller footprint Intel factory assembled
    > pieces as the heat sink paste seems to turn to glue and not want to
    > release easily. Sometimes the CPU comes with it and that is not what I
    > want.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance for any assistance in locating specs or even a fan
    > supplier that is aware...

    You seem to have omitted the little detail of what the CPU/heatsink is.
    And I'd be very curious to see how you're going to change fans without
    so much as disturbing the heatsink/CPU/motherboard at all.

    Buy a small quantity of Arctic Silver and a decent heatsink/fan combo
    and be done with it. As for the CPU coming out, they are normally in a
    ZIF (or zero insertion force) socket which makes it very easy to remove
    and put back.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 11, 2007

  3. Joe

    Joe Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:27:03 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Joe wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> I am looking to locate replacement CPU cooling fans so as to allow me
    >> to replace the fan only and not disturb the heat sink/Motherboard
    >> 'connection' and not cause any undue movement of the board.
    >>
    >> I can locate a number of fans that match the fan size--external
    >> dimensions-but have not been able to match the RPM/Airflow which is
    >> what I believe is needed.
    >>
    >> I see some what appears to be super high RPM speeds for replacement
    >> fans--above 40000--which should be quite the noise maker....but may be
    >> necessary for some AMD units.
    >>
    >> I apologize for the vague description, but I am looking to continue
    >> the search. I am uncomfortable removing Heat Sinks on older
    >> motherboards--especially the smaller footprint Intel factory assembled
    >> pieces as the heat sink paste seems to turn to glue and not want to
    >> release easily. Sometimes the CPU comes with it and that is not what I
    >> want.
    >>
    >> Thanks in Advance for any assistance in locating specs or even a fan
    >> supplier that is aware...

    >You seem to have omitted the little detail of what the CPU/heatsink is.
    >And I'd be very curious to see how you're going to change fans without
    >so much as disturbing the heatsink/CPU/motherboard at all.

    for my purposes, the heat sink and the fan would have to 'match' . I
    have taken new fans off the heat sink/fan combination and just swapped
    them with the faulty ones....does not disturb the CPU/Mobo at all.
    Problem is that buying the/a new heat sink is not important--it is the
    fan that is the culprit. Unfortunately, they are usually bundled.

    >Buy a small quantity of Arctic Silver and a decent heatsink/fan combo
    >and be done with it. As for the CPU coming out, they are normally in a
    >ZIF (or zero insertion force) socket which makes it very easy to remove
    >and put back.

    Some/many of the heat sinks from Intel/AMD seem to be held on by some
    kind of adhesive in the paste coating used to smooth out differences
    in the machined surfaces of the CPU and Heat Sinks. Either that or
    their mating paste solidifies after a while. In any case, some of just
    don't come off when they are tugged on---especially the Intels that
    have the plastic rim around the perimeter of the motherboard
    'frame'---you can't twist these and they must actually be pulled from
    the CPU and sometimes the CPU comes with it......not that good of a
    result.
    Plus excess tugging unnecessarily flexes the(probably older)
    motherboard and that is not good.

    Hence, my hunt for fans....
    Thanks for the post
    Joe

    Joe, Jul 12, 2007
  4. Joe

    Plato Guest

    Joe wrote:

    > I am looking to locate replacement CPU cooling fans so as to allow me
    > to replace the fan only and not disturb the heat sink/Motherboard
    > 'connection' and not cause any undue movement of the board.

    Personally I often just have to replace the fan so I keep several
    models/brands of fan/sinks on hand and often just take the fan out of
    one of them and replace it on the existing heatsink. Sometimes only two
    screws will fit but generally I'm successful.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jul 12, 2007
  5. Joe wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:27:03 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >

    >>Joe wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>I am looking to locate replacement CPU cooling fans so as to allow me
    >>>to replace the fan only and not disturb the heat sink/Motherboard
    >>>'connection' and not cause any undue movement of the board.
    >>>
    >>>I can locate a number of fans that match the fan size--external
    >>>dimensions-but have not been able to match the RPM/Airflow which is
    >>>what I believe is needed.
    >>>
    >>>I see some what appears to be super high RPM speeds for replacement
    >>>fans--above 40000--which should be quite the noise maker....but may be
    >>>necessary for some AMD units.
    >>>
    >>>I apologize for the vague description, but I am looking to continue
    >>>the search. I am uncomfortable removing Heat Sinks on older
    >>>motherboards--especially the smaller footprint Intel factory assembled
    >>>pieces as the heat sink paste seems to turn to glue and not want to
    >>>release easily. Sometimes the CPU comes with it and that is not what I
    >>>want.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in Advance for any assistance in locating specs or even a fan
    >>>supplier that is aware...

    >>You seem to have omitted the little detail of what the CPU/heatsink is.
    >>And I'd be very curious to see how you're going to change fans without
    >>so much as disturbing the heatsink/CPU/motherboard at all.
    >>

    > for my purposes, the heat sink and the fan would have to 'match' . I
    > have taken new fans off the heat sink/fan combination and just swapped
    > them with the faulty ones....does not disturb the CPU/Mobo at all.
    > Problem is that buying the/a new heat sink is not important--it is the
    > fan that is the culprit. Unfortunately, they are usually bundled.
    >

    >>Buy a small quantity of Arctic Silver and a decent heatsink/fan combo
    >>and be done with it. As for the CPU coming out, they are normally in a
    >>ZIF (or zero insertion force) socket which makes it very easy to remove
    >>and put back.

    > Some/many of the heat sinks from Intel/AMD seem to be held on by some
    > kind of adhesive in the paste coating used to smooth out differences
    > in the machined surfaces of the CPU and Heat Sinks. Either that or
    > their mating paste solidifies after a while. In any case, some of just
    > don't come off when they are tugged on---especially the Intels that
    > have the plastic rim around the perimeter of the motherboard
    > 'frame'---you can't twist these and they must actually be pulled from
    > the CPU and sometimes the CPU comes with it......not that good of a
    > result.
    > Plus excess tugging unnecessarily flexes the(probably older)
    > motherboard and that is not good.

    The only time I ever had a problem separating the heatsink/fan from the
    CPU was when I used a table knife to pry them apart. Keep in mind, I've
    done this a lot. But that one time about one third of the CPU came loose
    in my hands and two thirds stayed on the heatsink. Without even testing
    my theory, I decided I had screwed the pooch on that one and threw the
    whole mess away. But on the other 99% times I've done it, the heatsink
    separated nicely. I clean them with a bit of mineral spirits and then
    use Arctic Silver heat transfer paste with the new heatsink/fan.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 12, 2007
  6. Joe

    Joe Guest

    On 11 Jul 2007 23:43:03 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    >Joe wrote:
    >>
    >> I am looking to locate replacement CPU cooling fans so as to allow me
    >> to replace the fan only and not disturb the heat sink/Motherboard
    >> 'connection' and not cause any undue movement of the board.

    >Personally I often just have to replace the fan so I keep several
    >models/brands of fan/sinks on hand and often just take the fan out of
    >one of them and replace it on the existing heatsink. Sometimes only two
    >screws will fit but generally I'm successful.

    That is what I do now, but am looking to avoid having to purchase the
    two as a unit as the heat sink doesn't need replacing. However, the
    separate fan purchase is a bit challenging due to my inability to find
    accurate specs.

    Thanks for the post.
    Joe

    Joe, Jul 12, 2007
  7. Joe

    Joe Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 04:46:39 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Joe wrote:

    >>>You seem to have omitted the little detail of what the CPU/heatsink is.
    >>>And I'd be very curious to see how you're going to change fans without
    >>>so much as disturbing the heatsink/CPU/motherboard at all.
    >>>

    >> for my purposes, the heat sink and the fan would have to 'match' . I
    >> have taken new fans off the heat sink/fan combination and just swapped
    >> them with the faulty ones....does not disturb the CPU/Mobo at all.
    >> Problem is that buying the/a new heat sink is not important--it is the
    >> fan that is the culprit. Unfortunately, they are usually bundled.
    >>

    >>>Buy a small quantity of Arctic Silver and a decent heatsink/fan combo
    >>>and be done with it. As for the CPU coming out, they are normally in a
    >>>ZIF (or zero insertion force) socket which makes it very easy to remove
    >>>and put back.

    >> Some/many of the heat sinks from Intel/AMD seem to be held on by some
    >> kind of adhesive in the paste coating used to smooth out differences
    >> in the machined surfaces of the CPU and Heat Sinks. Either that or
    >> their mating paste solidifies after a while. In any case, some of just
    >> don't come off when they are tugged on---especially the Intels that
    >> have the plastic rim around the perimeter of the motherboard
    >> 'frame'---you can't twist these and they must actually be pulled from
    >> the CPU and sometimes the CPU comes with it......not that good of a
    >> result.
    >> Plus excess tugging unnecessarily flexes the(probably older)
    >> motherboard and that is not good.

    >The only time I ever had a problem separating the heatsink/fan from the
    >CPU was when I used a table knife to pry them apart. Keep in mind, I've
    >done this a lot. But that one time about one third of the CPU came loose
    >in my hands and two thirds stayed on the heatsink. Without even testing
    >my theory, I decided I had screwed the pooch on that one and threw the
    >whole mess away. But on the other 99% times I've done it, the heatsink
    >separated nicely. I clean them with a bit of mineral spirits and then
    >use Arctic Silver heat transfer paste with the new heatsink/fan.

    I do this a lot too.
    The table knife thing was not far-fetched, but that is no longer
    possible as most of the newer units have the plastic partition around
    the base of the heat sink prohibiting the insertion of anything.
    You are really into that Artic Silver paste. I may order some.

    Again, Thanks for the post.
    Joe

    Joe, Jul 12, 2007
  8. Joe wrote:
    > On 11 Jul 2007 23:43:03 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
    >

    >>Joe wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am looking to locate replacement CPU cooling fans so as to allow me
    >>>to replace the fan only and not disturb the heat sink/Motherboard
    >>>'connection' and not cause any undue movement of the board.

    >>Personally I often just have to replace the fan so I keep several
    >>models/brands of fan/sinks on hand and often just take the fan out of
    >>one of them and replace it on the existing heatsink. Sometimes only two
    >>screws will fit but generally I'm successful.

    > That is what I do now, but am looking to avoid having to purchase the
    > two as a unit as the heat sink doesn't need replacing. However, the
    > separate fan purchase is a bit challenging due to my inability to find
    > accurate specs.

    I may be hung up on Arctic Silver, but you are hung up on specs for the
    fan. If it were me I'd go to www.newegg.com and find a decent fan (or
    combo fan and heatsink) that is listed to fit that as of yet unmentioned
    CPU. If you stick to good quality, and you're not overclocking like a
    maniac, you should be in good shape.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 12, 2007
  9. Joe

    Joe Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 07:57:08 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Joe wrote:

    >>>Personally I often just have to replace the fan so I keep several
    >>>models/brands of fan/sinks on hand and often just take the fan out of
    >>>one of them and replace it on the existing heatsink. Sometimes only two
    >>>screws will fit but generally I'm successful.

    >> That is what I do now, but am looking to avoid having to purchase the
    >> two as a unit as the heat sink doesn't need replacing. However, the
    >> separate fan purchase is a bit challenging due to my inability to find
    >> accurate specs.

    >I may be hung up on Arctic Silver, but you are hung up on specs for the
    >fan. If it were me I'd go to www.newegg.com and find a decent fan (or
    >combo fan and heatsink) that is listed to fit that as of yet unmentioned
    >CPU. If you stick to good quality, and you're not overclocking like a
    >maniac, you should be in good shape.

    Hard to not get hung up on specs....things like airflow and noise
    sometimes are not to be left unconsidered.....IMHO.
    Thanks
    Joe

    Joe, Jul 12, 2007