    My main concern is for image quality - to be honest I'll probably use it in
    Point and Squirt mode most of the time, leaving the more creative stuff to
    the SLR days..

    Neale, Jul 22, 2003

  2. Neale

    Frank ess Guest

    "Neale" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | I have recently made the move to Digital with the purchace of a 10D.
    I am
    | now looking for a decent smaller camera to take with me when the bulk
    of my
    | SLR gear is inappropraite. I am unclear on the different "markets"at
    which
    | the canon S50 and G5 are pitched, and their respective benefits. The
    general
    | spec of each doesn't seem that different on paper.
    |
    | My main concern is for image quality - to be honest I'll probably use
    it in
    | Point and Squirt mode most of the time, leaving the more creative
    stuff to
    | the SLR days..

    Don't denigrate the creativity possible with point-and-shoot. "Creative
    stuff" resides in the photographer, not the equipment.

    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jul 22, 2003

  3. Neale

    JK Guest

    The g5 is larger, and has a much faster lens (35-140 equivalent, f2-f3).
    The lens on the S50 is 35-105mm equivalent, and f2.8-4.9. The S50
    is shirt pocket sized, while the G5 is jacket pocket sized. I hate using
    cameras that have lenses that are much slower than f2.8 at the telephoto
    end. This seems to be the case with all shirt pocket sized digital cameras
    with optical zoom. I would much prefer to have a G5 (or especially an
    Olympus C5050 35-105 mm equivalent, f1.8-2.6 lens) than a shirt
    pocket sized camera with a lens that is very slow at the telephoto end.

    JK, Jul 22, 2003
  4. Neale

    JK Guest

    The G5 also has a display that rotates. That is extremely handy. Due
    to the high price of the G5 compared to the Olympus C5050, and the
    G5s use of a proprietary battery, imo the Olympus C5050 is a much
    better buy.

    JK, Jul 22, 2003
  5. Neale wrote:

    > I have recently made the move to Digital with the purchace of a 10D. I am
    > now looking for a decent smaller camera to take with me when the bulk of my
    > SLR gear is inappropraite. I am unclear on the different "markets"at which
    > the canon S50 and G5 are pitched, and their respective benefits. The general
    > spec of each doesn't seem that different on paper.
    >
    > My main concern is for image quality - to be honest I'll probably use it in
    > Point and Squirt mode most of the time, leaving the more creative stuff to
    > the SLR days..

    I have followed the reverse path. First I have bought the compact
    model, in my case the Canon S 400. I decided if I was going for
    portability and would accepth P&S, why not go for simplicity and very
    compact. After looking at image quality on various small cameras, I was
    impressed by the S 400, and now that I have it, I am even more
    impressed. i have compared its image quality directly with the G3 and
    Nikon 5700. I think it's better in many cases than the 5700 and
    reasonably comparable to the G3, though under some conditions the
    corners can be a bit softer. In short, the image quality is amazing.
    8x10 prints are extremely sharp and detailed, and 13x17 only reveal a
    slight softening on close inspection. Being an old 35 mm SLR
    manually-set everything type, I thought I would be bothered by the lack
    of control. However, in the hundreds of images i've taken so far I
    can't seriously quarrel with any of the settings the camera chose, and
    they are better exposed typically than my old Canon EOS 10s on auto
    mode. My only complaint: there's no way in the field to tell what
    exposure time or aperture is to be used or was used after the fact. But
    since I can't do a lot about it anyway, I've learned to live with it. I
    just shot 150 pictures underwater with the case designed for it, and
    they too came out great. The small size simply doesn't prepare you for
    the quality of the images this thing can produce!

    I now plan to get the 10D, assuming I convince myself that I am missing
    some important shots by not having it. There is some merit to sticking
    with the the same brand, as many of the same concepts are used in the
    software. Hope this helps.

    Joe

    Joseph Miller, Jul 22, 2003
  6. Neale

    Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 13:34:36 -0400, JK <> wrote:

    >The G5 also has a display that rotates. That is extremely handy. Due
    >to the high price of the G5 compared to the Olympus C5050, and the
    >G5s use of a proprietary battery, imo the Olympus C5050 is a much
    >better buy.

    But the G5 uses the same battery as his 10D - some advantage there?

    MJ

    , Jul 22, 2003
  7. Neale

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,
    At the digital camera club this evening 5 people were showing off their Canon
    400 and bragging about the quality, portability and the excellent focus.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Jul 23, 2003