    like 30 to 35 brands are there it seems, lot of cometetion and price
    was dam cheap itseems comapre to US.
    , Mar 5, 2005

  2. BradReeseCom Guest

    The Alliance for Gray Market and Counterfeit Abatement can tell you
    EXACTLY which Asian Counterfeit Operations are doing the best job today
    in marketing counterfeit router "cheapness."

    http://www.agmaglobal.org/index.html

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    BradReese.Com® Cisco Resource Center
    http://www.BradReese.Com/
    BradReeseCom, Mar 5, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    :I am looking for cheap and best Router-cum-switch?. Which is the best?.
    :In US there are only 3 or 4 brands are available, but in Asia there are
    :like 30 to 35 brands are there it seems, lot of cometetion and price
    :was dam cheap itseems comapre to US.

    You won't get very far unless you name some specs. Managable or not?
    Number of ports? Port speeds? Number of copper/gbic/sfp interfaces?
    Routing protocols supported? Security features? Required VLAN features?
    Required QoS features?

    As for brands, I can name more than "3 or 4" off the top of my head:
    Cisco, Nortel, HP, Netgear, D-Link, Linksys, SMC... and that's not
    even including the numerous off-brands available in consumer
    electronic stores.

    --
    'ignorandus (Latin): "deserving not to be known"'
    -- Journal of Self-Referentialism
    Walter Roberson, Mar 5, 2005
  4. Guest

    Sorry, it is my mistake, Actually I am looking for SOHO market (Home
    office). if I have one Broadband connection, in a Small office/Home
    office I would like to connect all 10 or 12 computers and printer in
    Local area Networ, I am looking for 8/16 port switchs, which should
    have FE ports with auto-detection.

    Also I am lloking some products which should supprt load balancing, for
    eaxmple in Internet cafe lot of computers shoudl connected to Internet.
    , Mar 5, 2005
  5. BradReeseCom Guest

    BradReeseCom, Mar 5, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    BradReeseCom <> wrote:
    :The Alliance for Gray Market and Counterfeit Abatement can tell you
    :EXACTLY which Asian Counterfeit Operations are doing the best job today
    :in marketing counterfeit router "cheapness."

    I looked at their site, and do not find that information anywhere.
    I see that they have a "report" on grey marketting available... to
    businesses who send them a company fax that indicates the reason why
    they are interested. It isn't clear whether the "report" names names.
    But it doesn't really matter whether it does, because the report
    is only about Grey Market activities, not about counterfeiting.

    I looked at the Press portion of their site, and do not see
    anything about counterfeiting there. Every single item I checked
    was about grey market (not counterfeit) activity, and every single
    suit I could see was against North American principles --
    channel partners, warrantee companies, professors at US universities
    claiming educational discounts fraudulantly.

    :http://www.agmaglobal.org/index.html

    But perhaps I just missed the page. Could you point out particular
    URLs there, or navigation instructions if a master URL with frames
    are involved?
    --
    "Who Leads?" / "The men who must... driven men, compelled men."
    "Freak men."
    Walter Roberson, Mar 5, 2005
  7. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    :Sorry, it is my mistake, Actually I am looking for SOHO market (Home
    :eek:ffice). if I have one Broadband connection, in a Small office/Home
    :eek:ffice I would like to connect all 10 or 12 computers and printer in
    :Local area Networ, I am looking for 8/16 port switchs, which should
    :have FE ports with auto-detection.

    Okay, managed or unmanaged? Load requirements? Security features?
    Any QoS requirements?

    :Also I am lloking some products which should supprt load balancing, for
    :eaxmple in Internet cafe lot of computers shoudl connected to Internet.

    That sounds like a separate requirement, possibly with a different
    number of ports and possibly with the addition of an uplink port;
    also, in such a situation, reliability or redundancy become important.
    [An Internet Cafe that is down with network problems loses it's main
    excuse for serving mediocre food...]

    Is it actually "load balancing" you are looking for, or is it
    "rate shaping" ? Load balancing refers to distributing load to
    resources equally, such as might be required if you provided
    application services (e.g., gaming) or if you had a cluster of
    servers that were acting as http cache servers for the user hosts.
    "Rate shaping" would be used if you want certain bandwidths
    per port, or if you want to restrict the actual network draw against
    your WAN connection [e.g., if you pay by peak access rate.]
    "Rate shaping" usually implies buffering and stuffing in packets
    as soon as there is a chance to do so. There is also Policing,
    another form of QoS, in which packets beyond a certain rate are
    simply dropped -- which is not supposed to matter for UDP, and triggers
    TCP congestion-control algorithms to slow down TCP.

    Within policing and rate-shaping, an important factor is the level
    you wish to police or shape at. Per-port is fair common, and per-vlan
    is perhaps the next most common. If you want to go down to
    per-application (e.g., allow full rate to http traffic but restrict
    KaZaa rates) then your choices become much more limited and much
    more expensive. Part of the difficulty there is that one can no longer
    assume that a certain port corresponds to a certain application:
    many of the P2P programs are able to fall back to using port 80
    (normally http) in order to bypass firewalls or rate controls.

    In the Internet Cafe environment, security also becomes more important:
    users will not want other users to be able to spy on them or control
    their sessions or whatever. And you want to prevent viruses,
    trojans and other kinds of malware from using your LAN as an avenue
    to spread between the various systems (especially if you are offering
    wireless access to user-provided systems.)

    When your business is at stake, it is ultimately self-defeating to
    go for the "cheapest" router: if you are earning (say) $50/hour
    in access fees then having your network down for a day while
    the wait-staff tries to debug the problem is going to chew through
    your profits, losing you easily $500 in a day. When you have a LAN
    that fools and borderline sociopaths are going to have access to,
    you need your networking equipment to be tough instead of cheap.
    --
    Look out, there are llamas!
    Walter Roberson, Mar 5, 2005
  8. James Knott Guest

    wrote:

    > but in Asia there are
    > like 30 to 35 brands are there it seems

    How many of those are different internally?
    James Knott, Mar 5, 2005
  9. Bill M. Guest

    On 5 Mar 2005 20:46:30 GMT, -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter
    Roberson) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    >:Sorry, it is my mistake, Actually I am looking for SOHO market (Home
    >:eek:ffice). if I have one Broadband connection, in a Small office/Home
    >:eek:ffice I would like to connect all 10 or 12 computers and printer in
    >:Local area Networ, I am looking for 8/16 port switchs, which should
    >:have FE ports with auto-detection.
    >
    >Okay, managed or unmanaged? Load requirements? Security features?
    >Any QoS requirements?
    >

    >:Also I am lloking some products which should supprt load balancing, for
    >:eaxmple in Internet cafe lot of computers shoudl connected to Internet.
    >
    >That sounds like a separate requirement, possibly with a different
    >number of ports and possibly with the addition of an uplink port;
    >also, in such a situation, reliability or redundancy become important.
    >[An Internet Cafe that is down with network problems loses it's main
    >excuse for serving mediocre food...]
    >
    >Is it actually "load balancing" you are looking for, or is it
    >"rate shaping" ? Load balancing refers to distributing load to
    >resources equally, such as might be required if you provided
    >application services (e.g., gaming) or if you had a cluster of
    >servers that were acting as http cache servers for the user hosts.
    >"Rate shaping" would be used if you want certain bandwidths
    >per port, or if you want to restrict the actual network draw against
    >your WAN connection [e.g., if you pay by peak access rate.]
    >"Rate shaping" usually implies buffering and stuffing in packets
    >as soon as there is a chance to do so. There is also Policing,
    >another form of QoS, in which packets beyond a certain rate are
    >simply dropped -- which is not supposed to matter for UDP, and triggers
    >TCP congestion-control algorithms to slow down TCP.

    To the OP, you might want to look at F5 and Foundry, among others.
    Pretty far down the list you'll even find Cisco, assuming cost and
    scalability aren't your top priorities.

    >Within policing and rate-shaping, an important factor is the level
    >you wish to police or shape at. Per-port is fair common, and per-vlan
    >is perhaps the next most common. If you want to go down to
    >per-application (e.g., allow full rate to http traffic but restrict
    >KaZaa rates) then your choices become much more limited and much
    >more expensive. Part of the difficulty there is that one can no longer
    >assume that a certain port corresponds to a certain application:
    >many of the P2P programs are able to fall back to using port 80
    >(normally http) in order to bypass firewalls or rate controls.

    To the OP, again, I just completed a detailed RFP on products that fit
    this description, and ProQuent and P-Cube came out on top. Give them a
    look if you're serious about policing, rate shaping, and not being
    fooled by traffic that masquerades on well-known ports.

    --
    Bill
    Bill M., Mar 6, 2005