Looking for career path advice

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Eric B., Sep 15, 2007.

  1. Eric B.

    Eric B. Guest

    Hi,

    Background:

    I'm a 40+ year old looking to switch careers to IT. I have been an avid
    computer user since the days of the Commodore 64. I have a lot of hands on
    experience with Windows home versions (95, 98, ME XP, Vista). I regularly
    troubleshoot computers for everyone I know and build my own as well.

    Career Path:

    I have been taking a look at the certification paths, and my thinking is
    with my background I should be able to get a MCDST without too much effort,
    next stop being MCSA/MCSE.

    Questions:

    1) Does this look like a game plan? Am I missing any steps?

    2) I am single and willing to work my way up. Can I expect to get a job
    that I can support myself on with just a MCDST while I work towards the MCSA
    cert?

    3) Anyone have experience passing certification tests based wholly on the
    printed MS training kits?

    4) Any shortcuts out there? Perhaps a company that will take on untrained
    but talented people and train them?

    Thanks,

    Eric B.
    Eric B., Sep 15, 2007

  2. "Eric B." <> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > Background:
    >
    > I'm a 40+ year old looking to switch careers to IT. I have been an avid
    > computer user since the days of the Commodore 64. I have a lot of hands on
    > experience with Windows home versions (95, 98, ME XP, Vista). I regularly
    > troubleshoot computers for everyone I know and build my own as well.
    >
    > Career Path:
    >
    > I have been taking a look at the certification paths, and my thinking is
    > with my background I should be able to get a MCDST without too much effort,
    > next stop being MCSA/MCSE.
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > 1) Does this look like a game plan? Am I missing any steps?
    >
    > 2) I am single and willing to work my way up. Can I expect to get a job
    > that I can support myself on with just a MCDST while I work towards the MCSA
    > cert?
    >
    > 3) Anyone have experience passing certification tests based wholly on the
    > printed MS training kits?
    >
    > 4) Any shortcuts out there? Perhaps a company that will take on untrained
    > but talented people and train them?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Eric B.

    1. Your career path looks good if you feel you have the required
    experience to complete it.
    2. I cannot answer this on the information you have provided. I have no
    idea how you are accustom to living. I have no idea the demand of such a
    certification in your area. One thing I can tell you is not to rely on
    just having your MCDST to get a job.
    3. No, I don't have this experience you asked. And I do not recommend it
    at all. Books, PTPs, and other study materials should only be a
    supplement for experience.
    4. Sure there are plenty of shortcuts. But a majority of them have sink
    holes. The only way for you to find the answer to this question is to
    apply. Remember a job interview is nothing more than a sales transaction
    -- you selling yourself, or them selling you on why you are not
    qualified.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Sep 15, 2007