Looking for Bluetooth 56k Modem options?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordy, Oct 13, 2005.

  1. Gordy

    Gordy Guest

    Hi,

    I have a requirement when out in my camper to hook up a dialup modem
    connection to link to my laptop.

    Overseas there appears to be options like a Bluetooth 56k modem.

    They are not available or approved for use in NZ.

    Options I have considered for a 56k modem interface...

    Bluetooth Class 1.. range 100M.. Good for my requirements.
    Phone extension cable... messy.
    IRDA too short a range.
    802.11 wireless link... maybe...
    Serial to Bluetooth adapter... maybe..

    Can't find an active remote Bluetooth adapter for USB-B to connect to
    a USB modem.

    Any help would be most appreciated

    Cheers

    Gordy

    Gordy, Oct 13, 2005

  2. Gordy

    EMB Guest

    Gordy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a requirement when out in my camper to hook up a dialup modem
    > connection to link to my laptop.
    >
    > Overseas there appears to be options like a Bluetooth 56k modem.
    >
    > They are not available or approved for use in NZ.

    EMB

    EMB, Oct 13, 2005

  3. Gordy

    shannon Guest

    Gordy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a requirement when out in my camper to hook up a dialup modem
    > connection to link to my laptop.
    >
    > Overseas there appears to be options like a Bluetooth 56k modem.
    >
    > They are not available or approved for use in NZ.
    >
    > Options I have considered for a 56k modem interface...
    >
    > Bluetooth Class 1.. range 100M.. Good for my requirements.
    > Phone extension cable... messy.
    > IRDA too short a range.
    > 802.11 wireless link... maybe...
    > Serial to Bluetooth adapter... maybe..
    >
    > Can't find an active remote Bluetooth adapter for USB-B to connect to
    > a USB modem.
    >
    > Any help would be most appreciated
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Gordy

    Wow, dialup, scary

    Heres what I could come up with

    http://alwaysonwireless.com/index.php?page=productInfo

    or something like this and an AP

    http://www.actiontec.com/products/broadband/dual_pcmodem/features.php

    shannon, Oct 14, 2005
  4. "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Gordy wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a requirement when out in my camper to hook up a dialup modem
    >> connection to link to my laptop.
    >>
    >> Overseas there appears to be options like a Bluetooth 56k modem.
    >>
    >> They are not available or approved for use in NZ.
    >>

    > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2063

    This is a very good unit, worked with my PDA and tablet PC. It is not
    available in New Zealand though, but I am sure you can purchase it on-line.
    You can also try the Socket Bluetooth Modem, I am pretty sure it is
    available on expansis.co.nz (which is based in Aus actually)

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas, Oct 14, 2005
  5. Gordy

    Sue Guest

    Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Gordy wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I have a requirement when out in my camper to hook up a dialup modem
    >>>connection to link to my laptop.
    >>>
    >>>Overseas there appears to be options like a Bluetooth 56k modem.
    >>>
    >>>They are not available or approved for use in NZ.
    >>>

    >>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2063
    >>

    > This is a very good unit, worked with my PDA and tablet PC. It is not
    > available in New Zealand though, but I am sure you can purchase it on-line.
    > You can also try the Socket Bluetooth Modem, I am pretty sure it is
    > available on expansis.co.nz (which is based in Aus actually)

    http://www.expansys.com.au/
    :)

    Sue, Oct 14, 2005
  6. Gordy

    Gordy Guest

    I ended up getting a Billionton 56k V.92 modem.
    Very small unit and came with a Class 1 Bluetooth USB adapter.
    100v to 240v power adapter too.

    Gordy, Oct 18, 2005