    upgrade from Unicore, but, I want to know it will fix the problem before I fork out any $$
    (what's the deal with that anyhow, now I have to _buy_ BIOS upgrades...).

    TIA.

    Daniel, Jun 15, 2004

  2. In article <ofuzc.2496$>, atari400
    @paradise.net.nz says...
    > BIOS ID (from POST screen) is:
    > "11/07/2000 - 8365-686B-IV6LNC0CC-00".
    > Motherboard manufacturer is unknown (PC Company "special" I guess). I think the chipset is
    > VIA VT8365 (KM-133) with Award BIOS v6.00. Tried to install WinXP, but, system too unstable
    > (resets arbitrarily) so I'm hoping updated BIOS (Win XP compliant version?) may fix those
    > issues. Currently runs fine with WinME (and Knoppix 3.2 as well). Have tried sourcing BIOS
    > upgrade from Unicore, but, I want to know it will fix the problem before I fork out any $$
    > (what's the deal with that anyhow, now I have to _buy_ BIOS upgrades...).

    See if there is an FCC code on the board, then you can run it through the
    FCC website to ID the manufacturer. The KM133 is a fairly recent chipset
    I think. I assume the system is not overclocked?

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 15, 2004

  3. Daniel

    Athura Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > BIOS ID (from POST screen) is:
    > "11/07/2000 - 8365-686B-IV6LNC0CC-00".
    > Motherboard manufacturer is unknown (PC Company "special" I guess). I

    think the chipset is
    > VIA VT8365 (KM-133) with Award BIOS v6.00. Tried to install WinXP, but,

    system too unstable
    > (resets arbitrarily) so I'm hoping updated BIOS (Win XP compliant

    version?) may fix those
    > issues. Currently runs fine with WinME (and Knoppix 3.2 as well). Have

    tried sourcing BIOS
    > upgrade from Unicore, but, I want to know it will fix the problem before I

    fork out any $$
    > (what's the deal with that anyhow, now I have to _buy_ BIOS upgrades...).
    >
    > TIA.

    Did you turn off the XP auto reboot on a fatal arror? (blue screen). Maybe
    some driver, etc problem

    right click my computer..properties...advanced...startup +
    recovery..settings...untick 'automatically restart'

    Athura, Jun 15, 2004
  4. Daniel wrote:
    > BIOS ID (from POST screen) is:
    > "11/07/2000 - 8365-686B-IV6LNC0CC-00".
    > Motherboard manufacturer is unknown (PC Company "special" I guess). I
    > think the chipset is VIA VT8365 (KM-133) with Award BIOS v6.00. Tried
    > to install WinXP, but, system too unstable (resets arbitrarily) so
    > I'm hoping updated BIOS (Win XP compliant version?) may fix those
    > issues. Currently runs fine with WinME (and Knoppix 3.2 as well).
    > Have tried sourcing BIOS upgrade from Unicore, but, I want to know it
    > will fix the problem before I fork out any $$ (what's the deal with
    > that anyhow, now I have to _buy_ BIOS upgrades...).

    It's possible that you have faulty RAM that the larger XP is using for
    something crucial. Run memtest86 on it for a few cycles:
    http://www.memtest86.com

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Jun 15, 2004
  5. Daniel

    EMB Guest

    In news:8Yvzc.2518$,
    Daniel <> expelled:
    > Unfortunately, it didn't have an FCC ID on it (just the "FCC"
    > look-alike label). Also, no - it's never been overclocked.

    AFAICT it'll be an "odd" PCChips board. try hunting around at
    http://www.wimsbios.com for their PCChips pages. They have a fair bit of
    info and photos to id the boards.

    HTH

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Jun 15, 2004

  6. >VIA VT8365 (KM-133) with Award BIOS v6.00. Tried to install WinXP, but, system
    > too unstable
    >(resets arbitrarily) so I'm hoping updated BIOS (Win XP compliant version?) may

    Possible faulty caps (lots of later PC Co had this problem)
    Is the motherboard red ish in color, then its prohably a ECS.

    Steve Robertson, Jun 15, 2004
  7. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel, Jun 15, 2004
  8. In article <cam072$saj$>, says...

    > "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > > BIOS ID (from POST screen) is:
    > > "11/07/2000 - 8365-686B-IV6LNC0CC-00".
    > > Motherboard manufacturer is unknown (PC Company "special" I guess). I

    > think the chipset is
    > > VIA VT8365 (KM-133) with Award BIOS v6.00. Tried to install WinXP, but,

    > system too unstable
    > > (resets arbitrarily) so I'm hoping updated BIOS (Win XP compliant

    > version?) may fix those
    > > issues. Currently runs fine with WinME (and Knoppix 3.2 as well). Have

    > tried sourcing BIOS
    > > upgrade from Unicore, but, I want to know it will fix the problem before I

    > fork out any $$
    > > (what's the deal with that anyhow, now I have to _buy_ BIOS upgrades...).
    > >
    > > TIA.

    > Did you turn off the XP auto reboot on a fatal arror? (blue screen). Maybe
    > some driver, etc problem
    >
    > right click my computer..properties...advanced...startup +
    > recovery..settings...untick 'automatically restart'

    If the motherboard is unstable it may be more viable to look for a good
    2nd hand board that works with your CPU, memory and case.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 15, 2004
  9. In article <8Yvzc.2518$>, atari400
    @paradise.net.nz says...
    > Unfortunately, it didn't have an FCC ID on it (just the "FCC" look-alike label).
    > Also, no - it's never been overclocked.

    You may be better off looking for a good 2nd hand board that fits your
    case, CPU and memory.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 15, 2004
  10. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > You may be better off looking for a good 2nd hand board that fits your
    > case, CPU and memory.

    Yes. My plan C :)

    I was hoping to keep the "upgrade" costs down, but, if I can't source an upgraded BIOS
    (assuming it would even fix the problem), then a new motherboard would be the other option.

    Daniel, Jun 15, 2004
  11. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    The random resets are of the NMI type (i.e. CPU/OS doesn't catch them, motherboard decides
    something serious has happened and so resets the system).
    However, I don't know anything about how WinXP interacts with the BIOS (WinME & Knoppix work),
    so I was hoping that a BIOS upgrade might fix it.

    Daniel, Jun 15, 2004
  12. Daniel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > In news:8Yvzc.2518$,
    > Daniel <> expelled:
    >> Unfortunately, it didn't have an FCC ID on it (just the "FCC"
    >> look-alike label). Also, no - it's never been overclocked.
    >>

    > AFAICT it'll be an "odd" PCChips board. try hunting around at
    > http://www.wimsbios.com for their PCChips pages. They have a fair
    > bit of info and photos to id the boards.
    >
    > HTH

    Or download and run Aida32 Enterprise System Information, it's freeware and
    easilly found with Google. It recognizes most mobos.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Jun 15, 2004
  13. In article <40ce994f$>, says...

    > >VIA VT8365 (KM-133) with Award BIOS v6.00. Tried to install WinXP, but, system
    > > too unstable
    > >(resets arbitrarily) so I'm hoping updated BIOS (Win XP compliant version?) may

    > Possible faulty caps (lots of later PC Co had this problem)
    > Is the motherboard red ish in color, then its prohably a ECS.

    ECS and PC Chips are the same company.

    The code you listed IV6LNC0CC-00
    the chipset is unknown from that. The manufacturer's code, I'm reading,
    is C0 which is the code for "Matsonic".

    It looks like Matsonic is an affiliate or subsidary of PCChips.
    "xx/xx/xxxx-8363-686A-JA6LMC0CC-00" similar to yours except for the
    chipset code is the code for a Matsonic MS8117C.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 15, 2004
  14. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > ECS and PC Chips are the same company.
    >
    > The code you listed IV6LNC0CC-00
    > the chipset is unknown from that. The manufacturer's code, I'm reading,
    > is C0 which is the code for "Matsonic".
    >
    > It looks like Matsonic is an affiliate or subsidary of PCChips.
    > "xx/xx/xxxx-8363-686A-JA6LMC0CC-00" similar to yours except for the
    > chipset code is the code for a Matsonic MS8117C.

    Looks like a good lead - thanks.

    Daniel, Jun 15, 2004
  15. Daniel

    Gurble Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:49:52 +1200, Daniel <>
    wrote:

    >BIOS ID (from POST screen) is:
    >"11/07/2000 - 8365-686B-IV6LNC0CC-00".
    >Motherboard manufacturer is unknown (PC Company "special" I guess). I think the chipset is
    >VIA VT8365 (KM-133) with Award BIOS v6.00. Tried to install WinXP, but, system too unstable
    >(resets arbitrarily) so I'm hoping updated BIOS (Win XP compliant version?) may fix those
    >issues. Currently runs fine with WinME (and Knoppix 3.2 as well). Have tried sourcing BIOS
    >upgrade from Unicore, but, I want to know it will fix the problem before I fork out any $$
    >(what's the deal with that anyhow, now I have to _buy_ BIOS upgrades...).
    >
    >TIA.

    Most likely it will be a PC Chips / ECS motherboard.

    Unfortunately it's probably shot. We probably see 5-10 of these (PC
    Co) machines a week with faulty motherboards. Unfortunately the only
    fix is a replacement (with a decent brand).

    Not meaning to sound wanky about it, but this is why PC Co PCs
    *appeared* to be a little cheaper - you pay for what you get.

    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I don't like your chances, but
    good luck with the BIOS update - let us know how you get on.

    :-(

    Gurble, Jun 15, 2004
  16. Daniel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Gurble wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:49:52 +1200, Daniel <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> BIOS ID (from POST screen) is:
    >> "11/07/2000 - 8365-686B-IV6LNC0CC-00".
    >> Motherboard manufacturer is unknown (PC Company "special" I guess).
    >> I think the chipset is VIA VT8365 (KM-133) with Award BIOS v6.00.
    >> Tried to install WinXP, but, system too unstable (resets
    >> arbitrarily) so I'm hoping updated BIOS (Win XP compliant version?)
    >> may fix those issues. Currently runs fine with WinME (and Knoppix
    >> 3.2 as well). Have tried sourcing BIOS upgrade from Unicore, but, I
    >> want to know it will fix the problem before I fork out any $$
    >> (what's the deal with that anyhow, now I have to _buy_ BIOS
    >> upgrades...).
    >>
    >> TIA.

    > Most likely it will be a PC Chips / ECS motherboard.
    >
    > Unfortunately it's probably shot. We probably see 5-10 of these (PC
    > Co) machines a week with faulty motherboards. Unfortunately the only
    > fix is a replacement (with a decent brand).
    >
    > Not meaning to sound wanky about it, but this is why PC Co PCs
    > *appeared* to be a little cheaper - you pay for what you get.
    >
    > Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I don't like your chances, but
    > good luck with the BIOS update - let us know how you get on.
    >
    > :-(

    I have a mate who's still running a PC Company PIII 533Mhz machine and it's
    fine. Even upgraded to XP a while ago (It came with 98SE). 128Mb RAM and
    20GB HDD, quite usuable although it would benefit from more RAM. I would
    have given him one of the three 128MB sticks out of my server but it's only
    100Mhz and his needs 133. <Thinking out-loud> Come to think of it, I have
    two 64MB 133Mhz sticks in a machine that's only running on a 66Mhz FSB, I
    must check if his machine has two or three RAM slots, I could do a bit of a
    swap-around and get him up to 256.

    Ok, I'll shut up now.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Jun 16, 2004
  17. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:49:52 +1200, Daniel <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >BIOS ID (from POST screen) is:
    > >"11/07/2000 - 8365-686B-IV6LNC0CC-00".
    > >Motherboard manufacturer is unknown (PC Company "special" I guess). I think the chipset is
    > >VIA VT8365 (KM-133) with Award BIOS v6.00. Tried to install WinXP, but, system too unstable
    > >(resets arbitrarily) so I'm hoping updated BIOS (Win XP compliant version?) may fix those
    > >issues. Currently runs fine with WinME (and Knoppix 3.2 as well). Have tried sourcing BIOS
    > >upgrade from Unicore, but, I want to know it will fix the problem before I fork out any $$
    > >(what's the deal with that anyhow, now I have to _buy_ BIOS upgrades...).
    > >
    > >TIA.

    > Most likely it will be a PC Chips / ECS motherboard.
    >
    > Unfortunately it's probably shot. We probably see 5-10 of these (PC
    > Co) machines a week with faulty motherboards. Unfortunately the only
    > fix is a replacement (with a decent brand).
    >
    > Not meaning to sound wanky about it, but this is why PC Co PCs
    > *appeared* to be a little cheaper - you pay for what you get.
    >
    > Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I don't like your chances, but
    > good luck with the BIOS update - let us know how you get on.

    Doesn't say much for the PC company management (still in the industry),
    what a bunch of ripoff artists, and then one wonders why a quality maker
    like ECS got involved with PC Chips.

    Anyway PC Chips website says it is the vendor's responsibility...I think
    it will be extremely hard to get the bios update and I heard some of
    these boards don't have flashable PROMs anyway.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 16, 2004

  18. >
    >ECS and PC Chips are the same company.

    That would explain a few things then.
    The 2 most unreliable brands Ive encountered.

    Steve Robertson, Jun 16, 2004

  19. >I have a mate who's still running a PC Company PIII 533Mhz machine and it's fine

    May have been before the cap issue.

    I have a mate with a LADA & its fine.
    I have a mate with a Quantum bigfoot & its fine

    Its more about failure rates than every unit failing.

    Steve Robertson, Jun 16, 2004
  20. Daniel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Steve Robertson wrote:
    >> I have a mate who's still running a PC Company PIII 533Mhz machine
    >> and it's fine

    > May have been before the cap issue.
    >
    > I have a mate with a LADA & its fine.
    > I have a mate with a Quantum bigfoot & its fine
    >
    > Its more about failure rates than every unit failing.

    True. Just pointing out that they (PC Company PCs) aren't *all* falling over
    all over the place.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---