    thanks
    chas

    , Sep 7, 2005

  2. Guest

    Re: Looking for an AFFORDABLE walking around lens for the 300D

    For a 20D or a 350D or a 300D; I, personally, would go with a 17-85
    over the 28-135

    But this has a lot to do with my preference for wider angles and not so
    great a need for length. Since you are looking at a 70-200 later, the
    17-85 is less redundant than the 28-135 once you have a 70-200,
    however, you could get a 100-400 instead if you had the 28-135.

    I found that 24mm is not wide enough for me a useful amount of the time
    (24-70) so I picked up a 10-22 for really wide wides, whereas I think
    that an 18 or 17mm wide end might have been (20D). If you have any
    hankering for wides, you will likely find that the 28-135 is not wide
    enough--workable, but constraining.

    Both lenses are similar in optical quality (medium) and feature
    functionality.

    , Sep 7, 2005

  3. <> wrote in message
    > Am considering the EF 28-135 IS USM
    > I really cannot afford L glass so am looking for an 18-85 (the EF-S) or
    > something up to as much as a 135mm.
    > Someday, I will get a 70-200mm L lens but until then... I really need
    > something
    > shorter.
    > any suggestions?

    At the risk of being flamed by Randall<g>, the Tamron 28-75/2.8 gets good
    reviews. It's light, cheap, fast, and sharp. Mine is sharp wide open at the
    long end of the range, but needs to be stopped down at the wide end (on the
    300D). Focus is slow, and it occassionally hunts, and it's not "L" build
    quality.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 7, 2005
  4. wrote:
    > Am considering the EF 28-135 IS USM
    > I really cannot afford L glass so am looking for an 18-85 (the EF-S) or
    > something up to as much as a 135mm.
    > Someday, I will get a 70-200mm L lens but until then... I really need something
    > shorter.
    > any suggestions?

    I have the 28-135IS and have found it to be a mediocre lens at best.
    The IS is nice but unless you shoot static objects it really isn't much
    help. My copy is somewhat soft and has bad CA. I rarely use it. Plus,
    I think IS is justified more on long range telephotos than on wide or
    medium range zooms.

    I have owned a Sigma 18-200mm zoom since June and now take the majority
    of my pictures with this lens. It has been surprisingly sharp and the
    color/contrast have been very good. I don't notice any vignetting or CA
    with my copy of this lens. The focus is also spot on and, to me, as
    fast as the two Canon lenses I own. To get this much performance and
    range from a lens that cost me $350 shipped to my door has been a
    welcome surprise. If I could only have one lens I would choose this one
    over about any "L" lens with the exception of the new 24-105L. I find
    myself recommending the Sigma 18-200mm to many people.

    Michael Johnson, PE, Sep 7, 2005
  5. Re: Looking for an AFFORDABLE walking around lens for the 300D

    > For a 20D or a 350D or a 300D; I, personally, would go with a 17-85
    > over the 28-135
    >
    > But this has a lot to do with my preference for wider angles and not so
    > great a need for length. Since you are looking at a 70-200 later, the
    > 17-85 is less redundant than the 28-135 once you have a 70-200,
    > however, you could get a 100-400 instead if you had the 28-135.

    Pretty much what he said. I got the 17-85IS with my 350XT, and it's a fine
    "walkaround" (still not sure what that means) lens. Reasonably sharp, gets
    the picture more often than not, and the IS capabilities blow you away at
    slow speeds. But for shooting bicycle races, the 85 (136mm full-frame
    equivalent) isn't quite long enough. So I picked up a "baby" 70-200, the F4
    L-series. Nice. Very nice. Now I've got the full range covered, with just
    two lenses, and just enough overlap that you're not constantly wanting to
    change from one to the other.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Sep 8, 2005
  6. On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 17:06:49 -0500, chasm wrote:

    > Am considering the EF 28-135 IS USM
    > I really cannot afford L glass so am looking for an 18-85 (the EF-S) or
    > something up to as much as a 135mm.
    > Someday, I will get a 70-200mm L lens but until then... I really need
    > something shorter.
    > any suggestions?

    For an affordable, small, reasonably sharp lens with a good general
    purpose zoom range, you can't beat the Sigma 18-50 f3.5-5.6 D. Mine cost
    me $125 new, and that was RETAIL! (I was unwilling to wait a week for mail
    order shipping to save $20.)

    Stefan

    Stefan Patric, Sep 9, 2005