Looking for advice on Telephone / Network System within UK

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Simon, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. Simon

    Simon Guest

    Hi,

    Am looking for some advice on a system able to cope with approx 500
    extensions with some 90 lines in.
    Ideally I would like to be also carry computer network traffic via the same
    system and possibly Sky to 400 of the rooms.

    I don't know whether this is possible on one fibre optic cable ? or whether
    I am looking at installing separate cables for
    Telecoms, data, TV. How does the cost of setting up fibre optic compare to
    normal CAT5 ?

    The development area is approximately 200 acres.

    Regards

    Simon
    Simon, Sep 6, 2004

  2. Simon

    C7 Guest

    You really need an on-site consultant for a project this large.

    C7, Sep 7, 2004

  3. Simon

    john smith Guest

    most pbx manufacturers are able to extend remote cabinets via fiber, so
    that you have the 'main' or primary cabinet in one location with several
    other 'extended' cabinets in remote locations. the actual telephones
    will wire out from the extended cabinets via cat5/cat3. that would
    solve your phone issue.
    while you are laying fiber for the phone system, toss in some extra and
    you have solved the data issue.
    -- 'one' fiber optic cable could have many actual sets of fiber pathways
    similar to traditional buried phone cable.
    as far as Sky is concerned, ( i assume it is a video service) hummmmm...
    i am sure you could find video-to-fiber converters or video-to-data
    converters which would allow you to shoot the video over the fiber optic
    setup.

    of course, the bottom line is, you really do need an on-site consultant.

    john smith, Sep 7, 2004
  4. Simon

    Dmitri Guest

    My first advice would be to seek help of a professional systems
    integrator, and you may find that your Sky satellite connections will have
    to be handled by a separate specialized dealer/installer.

    You can probably accomplish most of it (sans Sky) via the same CAT5E cable
    if you use VoIP phone system, and all your phones are equipped with
    Ethernet switches or at least hubs.

    The size of the area definitely calls for multiple closets.

    It is possible to implement everything via fiber, but you cannot power
    anything through fiber, therefore every phone set will have to be
    connected to local power outlet, and will also have to be connected via
    fiber-to-copper transceiver.

    With that said, the way I would first approach the task, I would propose
    multiple closets with (2) two CAT5E cables to every outlet; preferable two
    outlet locations per office/room on opposite walls. You'll also need (1)
    RG6 cable to every room for TVs. The closets will then be connected to a
    central one via backbone with multimode fiber optic for data, multipair
    copper (2 pairs per phone ext.) and RG11 cable for TV.

    All in all, the task of designing the system is way beyond a scope of any
    newsgroup message, so, once again, seek help of a local systems
    integration company.

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com
    Simon wrote:

    > Hi,

    > Am looking for some advice on a system able to cope with approx 500
    > extensions with some 90 lines in.
    > Ideally I would like to be also carry computer network traffic via the
    > same
    > system and possibly Sky to 400 of the rooms.

    > I don't know whether this is possible on one fibre optic cable ? or
    > whether
    > I am looking at installing separate cables for
    > Telecoms, data, TV. How does the cost of setting up fibre optic compare
    > normal CAT5 ?

    > The development area is approximately 200 acres.

    > Regards

    > Simon

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forum
    comp.dcom.cabling,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.telecom.tech,comp.dcom.voice-over-ip - messages and counting
    Dmitri, Sep 7, 2004
  5. In comp.dcom.cabling Simon <> wrote:
    > The development area is approximately 200 acres.

    You will need fiber for data. For 90 inbound lines, your
    telco may prefer to feed you fiber. You also need a proper
    consultant -- too many variables.

    -- Robert
    Robert Redelmeier, Sep 7, 2004
  6. Simon

    cameron Guest

    "Simon" <> wrote in message news:<zT%_c.549$>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Am looking for some advice on a system able to cope with approx 500
    > extensions with some 90 lines in.
    > Ideally I would like to be also carry computer network traffic via the same
    > system and possibly Sky to 400 of the rooms.
    >
    > I don't know whether this is possible on one fibre optic cable ? or whether
    > I am looking at installing separate cables for
    > Telecoms, data, TV. How does the cost of setting up fibre optic compare to
    > normal CAT5 ?
    >
    > The development area is approximately 200 acres.

    > Regards

    Good Morning
    I am not in the UK but if you need 500 extensions with some 90 lines
    you will be wanting to get a PBX of use voice over IP.
    As far as the coverage area you might want to concider a wireless
    system that will allow you to connect over a large area. But that
    will depend alot of line of site and other structuers.
    Fiber Optic cable has come way down in price and is easy to install
    now a days.
    I would NOT recomend using the 50 micron fiber. I would recomend
    using the single mode insted as it is fast and the hard ware is out
    now and getting cheaper.
    You can run voice and data over fiber. You will run into a small
    problem though if some one decides to put a modem on there phone line.
    Running data to voice to data does not work well.
    Good luck and thanks for reading through all the typeos.

    cameron, Sep 7, 2004
  7. Simon

    Owain Guest

    "Simon" wrote
    > Am looking for some advice on a system able to cope with approx 500
    > extensions with some 90 lines in.
    > Ideally I would like to be also carry computer network traffic via the same
    > system and possibly Sky to 400 of the rooms.

    If this is some sort of leisure development, for TV you might look at systems like

    www.otrum.com - from DFDS ferries to Gleneagles Hotel
    www.pronto.tv - used on ResidenSea, the multimillionaires' condominium
    houseboat

    Newsgroups uk.telecom and uk.tech.digital-tv might be of interest.
    http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/ does television distribution cabling systems.

    Owain
    Owain, Sep 15, 2004