Looking for advice on camera purchase

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by d_schickel@yahoo.com, Oct 6, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi, I am a casual photographer (family, kids, etc). I have owned
    several digatal cameras, all Canon - A75, A85, A530. I am looking for
    some advice on my next purchase. But first my preferences.

    1) I usually just take pictures, maybe I will make a photo compilation
    CD or do some basic editing (contrast, red-eye, crop) and store or
    print them for family. Occasionlly, I have made a photo collage or
    other craft with the basic HP software that came with my printer or
    the Canon software. I do not use any high end tools (i.e. Adobe
    photoshop) or any sophisticated work with the photos. Usually, it is
    point, shoot, sort, select, crop, color/exposure/red-eye... and then
    print or make a slide show. Thats it. Photos are a mix of indoors
    and outdoors. My favorite subjects are my 1 and 3 yr old daughters.

    2) I like the form factor of the Canon A series. I have used smaller
    compact and subcompact ones... they are too small for me... can't hold
    them well.. push the wrong buttons, not stable enough etc. I also do
    not like the bigger ones, because no chance they fit in a hip
    pocket... this size is JUST right. The shots look great, good color,
    good exposure, little effort to look to be a way better photographer
    than I am. I also like the menus and the scene modes... they are easy
    to use and useful to me. I do not know how to use manual modes
    properly so they are not terribly important... if only I had time to
    learn...

    3) The A75 was my first camera and I loved it, I took great pictures,
    depite only 3 MP, was fine for me. I even won a photo contest with a
    photo of my daughter and they professionally processed the photo and
    the 16 x 20 hanging on the wall looks pretty good to me (I am not an
    expert by any means). When it came time to replace it (I dropped it),
    I went for the A85 and was relatively happy.... but it seemed that the
    shots weren't quite as good. I think I had to tweak exposure and even
    color more...

    4) I ended up giving the A85 to my dad as a present thinking I could
    get the A75 fixed... not easy locally. So I decided to by new... more
    MP sounded better... so after some looking I decided on the A530... 4x
    zoom sounded good.. I have been somewhat disappointed... mostly
    because you have to wait on that camera... wait when you turn it on,
    wait between flash shots, wait to lock in focus, wait wait wait. It
    still takes pretty good pictures, but I am not sure as good as my
    A75... seeming exposure and color issues, less focus, boy I wish that
    A75 still worked so I could do a real comparison.

    5) I bought the A530 at a local big box store because they were
    running a sale that matched the best internet price and that way I
    could touch and feel.. When I bought the A530, the salesman offered
    me a 1 year no questions asked "guarantee." Bring it in anytime
    within 1 year for any reason and get a new one or **if that one is not
    available** get store credit towards a new one. Well it sounded to me
    like a cheap trade-in plan.... no way the A530 will still be sold by
    them 1 yr later... Well, now is the time. The 1 year expires in 2
    weeks, so I am going to get a new camera. I will get about $130 store
    credit. So this leads to my question...

    Where do I go from here:

    Comfortabley, I could stay with Canon and go to an A560 for about
    $15... get 7 MP, face recognition and cut those wait times almost in
    half. Or I could upgrade to the A630 for about $100-$120, get more
    modes and 8 MP, or go to the A570IS for about $60-80 and get the image
    stabilization.... or I could leave the Canon camp... but where to go.
    I am willing to spend the $100 or so if I know I will get something
    much better (tangible) for me... not more than that. I am limited to
    models that this store has in stock to use the $130 credit... so it
    has to be a pretty common one.

    I am interested in all possible advice or feedback... especially if
    you have the A530 or one of the ones I am thinking of getting.

    THANKS IN ADVANCE.

    Dylan

    , Oct 6, 2007

  2. sw2u Guest

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 19:28:03 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi, I am a casual photographer (family, kids, etc). I have owned
    >several digatal cameras, all Canon - A75, A85, A530. I am looking for
    >some advice on my next purchase. . .

    (snip)

    Since you say you loved Canon A series cameras you owned in the past
    and it's well within your budget, I suggest you get the A570 IS. I
    have one and think it's terrific.

    Later, for under $20 on eBay, you could get an adaptor tube that will
    let you use filters, sunshade, a closeup lens and/ or add-on telephoto
    and wideangle lenses, if that interests you.

    You could do years of picture taking with this camera and some or all
    of the mentioned accessories without exhausting its capabilities.

    --
    sw2U

    sw2u, Oct 8, 2007

  3. John Ortt Guest

    "sw2u" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 19:28:03 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, I am a casual photographer (family, kids, etc). I have owned
    >>several digatal cameras, all Canon - A75, A85, A530. I am looking for
    >>some advice on my next purchase. . .

    > (snip)
    >
    > Since you say you loved Canon A series cameras you owned in the past
    > and it's well within your budget, I suggest you get the A570 IS. I
    > have one and think it's terrific.
    >
    > Later, for under $20 on eBay, you could get an adaptor tube that will
    > let you use filters, sunshade, a closeup lens and/ or add-on telephoto
    > and wideangle lenses, if that interests you.
    >
    > You could do years of picture taking with this camera and some or all
    > of the mentioned accessories without exhausting its capabilities.
    >
    > --
    > sw2U

    I agree with sw2u. If you are happy with the A series there seems little
    reason to change.

    If you want a change we will need more info on your experiences with your
    current cameras.

    What do you like about them, what do you dislike?

    What about the resulting photos, are you happy or do certain ones disapoint
    you and if so why?

    John Ortt, Oct 8, 2007
  4. John Turco Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi, I am a casual photographer (family, kids, etc). I have owned
    > several digatal cameras, all Canon - A75, A85, A530. I am looking for
    > some advice on my next purchase. But first my preferences.

    <heavily edited, for brevity>

    Hello, Dylan:

    One word: Kodak! <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Oct 9, 2007
  5. SMS Guest

    wrote:

    > Comfortabley, I could stay with Canon and go to an A560 for about
    > $15... get 7 MP, face recognition and cut those wait times almost in
    > half. Or I could upgrade to the A630 for about $100-$120, get more
    > modes and 8 MP, or go to the A570IS for about $60-80 and get the image
    > stabilization.... or I could leave the Canon camp... but where to go.
    > I am willing to spend the $100 or so if I know I will get something
    > much better (tangible) for me... not more than that. I am limited to
    > models that this store has in stock to use the $130 credit... so it
    > has to be a pretty common one.

    I'd stay away from anything greater than 7 megapixels in the A series.
    The A570 is a good choice. I wish there was an A series model that was 7
    megapixels, with a flip out LCD, and IS, but there isn't, probably to
    avoid intruding on the G series market.

    The 570IS is probably your best bet. I ordered one last week for $171
    from Amazon (though it was actually free for me thanks to ASAAR). The
    570 IS is Digic III versus Digic II on the 530, so it'll be faster than
    the A530. Still, it's a point and shoot, so you're going to have to deal
    with the inherent lag times, or go to a digital SLR.

    SMS, Oct 9, 2007
  6. SMS Guest

    wrote:

    > 5) I bought the A530 at a local big box store because they were
    > running a sale that matched the best internet price and that way I
    > could touch and feel.. When I bought the A530, the salesman offered
    > me a 1 year no questions asked "guarantee." Bring it in anytime
    > within 1 year for any reason and get a new one or **if that one is not
    > available** get store credit towards a new one.

    I've seen those no-questions-asked guarantees at a lot of big-box stores
    such as Fry's, Circuit City, and Best Buy. But they're not "I don't like
    this item, give me a store credit." It's if the item breaks, you don't
    have to deal with warranty service, you just bring it to the store and
    they exchange it for the same item (or if the item is no longer
    available you get credit for another similar item).

    If you try to bring back your A530 for a store credit, it better be
    non-functional, and intentionally breaking it is rather unethical.

    SMS, Oct 9, 2007