    Hello
    I'm looking for a wifi sip voip phone recommendation please

    Stephen
    hammond, Nov 23, 2007

  2. hammond

    Nick Guest

    "hammond" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > :)
    > Hello
    > I'm looking for a wifi sip voip phone recommendation please
    >
    > Stephen

    Yes, don't bother.
    Nick, Nov 23, 2007

  3. >> Hello
    >> I'm looking for a wifi sip voip phone recommendation please
    >>
    >> Stephen
    >>

    > Yes, don't bother.

    why :(?

    Stephen Hammond, Nov 23, 2007
  4. hammond

    Tim Guest

    Stephen Hammond wrote:
    >>> Hello
    >>> I'm looking for a wifi sip voip phone recommendation please
    >>>
    >>> Stephen
    >>>

    >> Yes, don't bother.

    > why :(?

    There aren't any really good ones. There is kinda of ok, but none shine.

    Poor battery life, poor wifi access point compatibility, poor SIP stacks.

    A Nokia E series phone is probably the best.

    If you just want a phone to use at home then buy a Siemens SIP dect phone.

    Tim
    Tim, Nov 23, 2007

  5. >>>> Hello

    >>> Yes, don't bother.

    >> why :(?

    > There aren't any really good ones. There is kinda of ok, but none shine.
    >
    > Poor battery life, poor wifi access point compatibility, poor SIP stacks.
    >
    > A Nokia E series phone is probably the best.
    >
    > If you just want a phone to use at home then buy a Siemens SIP dect phone.
    >
    > Tim

    Are the Skype (excuse my French ) ones any better ?

    Stephen Hammond, Nov 23, 2007
  6. hammond

    Spex Guest

    On 23 Nov, 19:06, hammond <> wrote:
    > :)
    > Hello
    > I'm looking for a wifi sip voip phone recommendation please
    >
    > Stephen

    We have a couple of T-Mobile TC300 at home which work quite well apart
    from battery use is quite high. The TC300 is a GSM/wifi phone - so
    it's used as a mobile when out of the house and is a wifi extension of
    an Asterisk box at home.

    TC300 is available in Spain (my first one was thrown in on a broadband
    deal and the second was about 30 euros secondhand on ebay). It's also
    sold in Germany. Rebadged, it's an Arcor Twintel in Germany or a
    Pirelli DP-L10 in the UK (retails around 150 squid).

    Spex
    Spex, Nov 24, 2007
  7. In article <47474913$0$511$>,
    Tim <> wrote:

    >>> Yes, don't bother.

    >> why :(?

    >There aren't any really good ones. There is kinda of ok, but none shine.
    >
    >Poor battery life, poor wifi access point compatibility, poor SIP stacks.
    >
    >A Nokia E series phone is probably the best.
    >
    >If you just want a phone to use at home then buy a Siemens SIP dect phone.

    I'd second this. I have a UTS F1000G Wi-Fi phone, but it's tempramental
    and would never try to sell a custom one (it fails the "wife test") It's
    battery life is surprisingly good though.

    I also have a Nokia E90 and this is better than the F1000G, but it won't
    automatically re-connect when it comes back in-range on the home Wi-Fi
    signal - I have to push a button or 2...

    But if all you want is a phone to walk round the home/office with the
    the Siemens DECT ones are very good indeed.

    What I'd love to see is a mobile phone with a GAP compliant DECT client
    built-in.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Nov 24, 2007
  8. hammond

    alexd Guest

    Stephen Hammond wrote:

    >>> why :(?

    >> There aren't any really good ones. There is kinda of ok, but none shine.
    >>
    >> Poor battery life, poor wifi access point compatibility, poor SIP stacks.

    > Are the Skype (excuse my French ) ones any better ?

    No - it's not the SIP stack that consumes battery or causes incompatibility
    with various access points. And Skype will use more bandwidth than SIP.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    11:50:13 up 13 days, 28 min, 2 users, load average: 0.12, 0.09, 0.11
    alexd, Nov 24, 2007
  9. hammond

    Guest

    On Nov 23, 9:41 pm, Tim <> wrote:

    > A Nokia E series phone is probably the best.

    I use a E61 for VoIP all the time, probably > 3 hours a day during the
    week. It is the best WiFi VoIP solution I have found so far after
    trying the truely dire UTS F1000 and a crappy T-Com GSM/WiFI phone I
    got on evaluation. The E61 auto logs on at work, home and the pub and
    when calling via VoIP it sends my mobile number as CLID. It is not
    perfect however the main gripes are:-

    1. Can't alter the SIP registration time (set to 1 hour, so system
    still thinks you are around for up to 60 mins if you lose WiFi).
    2, Cant set codec preferance.
    3. Doesn't light MWI on NOTIFY.

    Regards

    Jon
    , Nov 25, 2007
  10. hammond

    Tim Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:

    > I'd second this. I have a UTS F1000G Wi-Fi phone, but it's tempramental
    > and would never try to sell a custom one (it fails the "wife test") It's
    > battery life is surprisingly good though.

    I do have a lot of F1000Gs to get rid of.

    Tim
    Tim, Nov 26, 2007
  11. hammond

    Guest

    On Nov 26, 11:02 am, Tim <> wrote:

    > I do have a lot of F1000Gs to get rid of.

    I'm not surprised!

    Jon
    , Nov 26, 2007

  12. >> :)
    >> Hello
    >> I'm looking for a wifi sip voip phone recommendation please
    >>
    >> Stephen

    > We have a couple of T-Mobile TC300 at home which work quite well apart
    > from battery use is quite high. The TC300 is a GSM/wifi phone - so
    > it's used as a mobile when out of the house and is a wifi extension of
    > an Asterisk box at home.
    >
    > TC300 is available in Spain (my first one was thrown in on a broadband
    > deal and the second was about 30 euros secondhand on ebay). It's also
    > sold in Germany. Rebadged, it's an Arcor Twintel in Germany or a
    > Pirelli DP-L10 in the UK (retails around 150 squid).
    >
    > Spex

    These look anyone tried them http://www.zheren.com/product_details.asp?id=48

    Stephen

    Stephen Hammond, Nov 27, 2007
  13. hammond

    Chris Guest

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 12:51:00 -0000, "Stephen Hammond"
    <> wrote:

    >>> :)
    >>> Hello
    >>> I'm looking for a wifi sip voip phone recommendation please
    >>>
    >>> Stephen

    >> We have a couple of T-Mobile TC300 at home which work quite well apart
    >> from battery use is quite high. The TC300 is a GSM/wifi phone - so
    >> it's used as a mobile when out of the house and is a wifi extension of
    >> an Asterisk box at home.
    >>
    >> TC300 is available in Spain (my first one was thrown in on a broadband
    >> deal and the second was about 30 euros secondhand on ebay). It's also
    >> sold in Germany. Rebadged, it's an Arcor Twintel in Germany or a
    >> Pirelli DP-L10 in the UK (retails around 150 squid).
    >>
    >> Spex

    >These look anyone tried them http://www.zheren.com/product_details.asp?id=48
    >
    >Stephen

    I'm using a UTstarcom F1000 as an extension off my Trixbox. Battery
    life is OK as is call quality etc. I suspect the F3000 is better all
    round but more expensive.

    Chris
    Chris, Nov 27, 2007
  14. hammond

    Tim Guest

    Tim, Nov 27, 2007
  15. hammond

    alexd Guest

    Stephen Hammond wrote:

    >>> I'm looking for a wifi sip voip phone recommendation please
    >>>
    >>> Stephen

    >> We have a couple of T-Mobile TC300 at home which work quite well apart
    >> from battery use is quite high. The TC300 is a GSM/wifi phone - so
    >> it's used as a mobile when out of the house and is a wifi extension of
    >> an Asterisk box at home.
    >>
    >> TC300 is available in Spain (my first one was thrown in on a broadband
    >> deal and the second was about 30 euros secondhand on ebay). It's also
    >> sold in Germany. Rebadged, it's an Arcor Twintel in Germany or a
    >> Pirelli DP-L10 in the UK (retails around 150 squid).
    >>
    >> Spex

    > These look anyone tried them
    > http://www.zheren.com/product_details.asp?id=48

    Doesn't mention in the spec if it has a web browser or not, which I imagine
    will be of interest to those who plan to use it whilst out and about [and
    if you're not planning to use it on the hoof, DECT probably makes more
    sense]. Also, "longest standby/talk time in the world" is quite some claim
    to live up to, which presumably is why it doesn't specify what they are!

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:20:30 up 16 days, 8:59, 2 users, load average: 0.25, 0.16, 0.11
    alexd, Nov 27, 2007
  16. hammond

    Iain Guest

    alexd wrote:

    > Doesn't mention in the spec if it has a web browser or not, which I imagine
    > will be of interest to those who plan to use it whilst out and about

    Vital if you are going to have to authenticate on most public access points.
    Iain, Nov 30, 2007

  17. >
    >> Doesn't mention in the spec if it has a web browser or not, which I
    >> imagine
    >> will be of interest to those who plan to use it whilst out and about

    > Vital if you are going to have to authenticate on most public access
    > points.

    Can you authenticate on most public access points, with the Nokia E61 ?

    Stephen Hammond, Dec 1, 2007