    computer or any of the other computers that I use for the portable hard
    drive....

    Cheers Peter

    peter, May 31, 2004

  2. peter

    Rockfield Guest

    "peter" <> wrote in
    news:_ywuc.12345$:

    > Hi
    > Are there any portable hard drives that are totally plug and play.
    > Sort of like those USB pen drives. I dont want to have to install
    > drivers on my computer or any of the other computers that I use for
    > the portable hard drive....
    >

    > Cheers Peter

    Look on Slashdot today, there is a review of Transcends 1.8" 40GB USB
    hard drive.

    Cheers.

    RH

    Rockfield, May 31, 2004

  3. peter

    Richard Guest

    peter wrote:

    > Hi
    > Are there any portable hard drives that are totally plug and play. Sort of
    > like those USB pen drives. I dont want to have to install drivers on my
    > computer or any of the other computers that I use for the portable hard
    > drive....

    All that I have used have being the same, that includes ones in a 3.5" case, as
    well as USB powered 2.5" drives

    Richard, May 31, 2004
  4. peter

    Collector Guest

    peter wrote:

    >Hi
    >Are there any portable hard drives that are totally plug and play. Sort of
    >like those USB pen drives. I dont want to have to install drivers on my
    >computer or any of the other computers that I use for the portable hard
    >drive....
    >

    >Cheers Peter

    Plenty around but only for Win2K and above as Win98 and below require
    drivers loaded.

    Collector, May 31, 2004
  5. In article <_ywuc.12345$>,
    says...
    > Hi
    > Are there any portable hard drives that are totally plug and play. Sort of
    > like those USB pen drives. I dont want to have to install drivers on my
    > computer or any of the other computers that I use for the portable hard
    > drive....

    Well get Windows XP if you want to be driverless, you can NOT get around
    the fact that driver installation requirements are a limitation of
    Windows 98 or whatever you are using now.

    Patrick Dunford, May 31, 2004
  6. peter

    peter Guest

    peter, May 31, 2004
  7. peter

    Daver Guest

    http://www.softwareshop.co.nz/Display.cfm?Category=&Subcategory=Storage - External&publisher=MAXTOR

    A few to choose from.

    Daver, May 31, 2004
  8. peter

    Palm Guest

    "peter" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Are there any portable hard drives that are totally plug and play. Sort of
    > like those USB pen drives. I dont want to have to install drivers on my
    > computer or any of the other computers that I use for the portable hard
    > drive....
    >

    > Cheers Peter

    could always buy a separate harddrive and drive case ... might work out
    cheaper then buying together ... will need to install drivers though.

    Palm, May 31, 2004
  9. peter

    Gurble Guest

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 14:05:58 +1200, "peter" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >Are there any portable hard drives that are totally plug and play. Sort of
    >like those USB pen drives. I dont want to have to install drivers on my
    >computer or any of the other computers that I use for the portable hard
    >drive....
    >

    >Cheers Peter

    Most are driverless on Windows ME/2K/XP and MacOS X. Or, more
    precisely, they use the Mass Storage Device drivers built into these
    OSs.

    Unfortunately nothing can be done about Win98se's need for drivers.

    These ones definately use the MSD drivers (ie no additional drivers
    required):
    www.prosouth.co.nz/hardware?page=ehd

    Gurble, Jun 1, 2004