Looking for a simple, preferrably free, EXIF info reader

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peter Hofman, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. Peter Hofman

    Peter Hofman Guest

    Hi,

    I have thumbs+ and Nikon View, and some other graphic programs that will
    display EXIF info.

    However, they have a lot of overhead I don't need (nor want) when browsing
    EXIF info. So I am looking for a program that will just display the info.

    Nice would be a tree-view part, displaying the folder tree with files, and
    an EXIF part, displaying the EXIF info in multiple columns.

    I have tried exifer, but that does not have the tree view option I want.

    I also tried DPEex, which is more like i want, but like exifer, it shows the
    EXIF info in a single column. I would like to see it in multiple columns.
    Also DPEex is not free. If it would fit my wishes, that would not be the
    biggest problem.

    Any suggestions?????

    Thanks,
    Peter
    Peter Hofman, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Peter Hofman

    W6DKN Guest

    Peter Hofman wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have thumbs+ and Nikon View, and some other graphic programs that
    > will display EXIF info.
    >
    > However, they have a lot of overhead I don't need (nor want) when
    > browsing EXIF info. So I am looking for a program that will just
    > display the info.
    >
    > Nice would be a tree-view part, displaying the folder tree with
    > files, and an EXIF part, displaying the EXIF info in multiple columns.
    >
    > I have tried exifer, but that does not have the tree view option I
    > want.
    >
    > I also tried DPEex, which is more like i want, but like exifer, it
    > shows the EXIF info in a single column. I would like to see it in
    > multiple columns. Also DPEex is not free. If it would fit my wishes,
    > that would not be the biggest problem.
    >
    > Any suggestions?????
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Peter

    http://www.takenet.or.jp/~ryuuji/minisoft/exifread/english/

    = Dan =
    W6DKN, Jan 15, 2004

  3. Peter Hofman

    Zol. Guest

    Irfanview - very quick, it handles canon raw fils but not nikon raw ones. It`s a free
    download @ www.irfanview.com

    Zol.

    Zol., Jan 15, 2004
  4. Peter Hofman

    Zol. Guest

    Hmm, sorry it will only display the infoi when requested so maybe it`s not quite that useful
    for your purpose.

    Zol.

    Zol., Jan 15, 2004
  5. Peter Hofman

    Peter Hofman Guest

    Peter Hofman, Jan 15, 2004
  6. Peter Hofman

    Peter Hofman Guest

    > Hmm, sorry it will only display the infoi when requested so maybe it`s not

    quite that useful
    > for your purpose.
    >
    > Zol.

    Tried Irfanview, cool program, but like you mentioned, not what i was
    looking for.

    But thanks for the suggestion.

    Peter
    Peter Hofman, Jan 15, 2004
  7. Peter Hofman

    Chris Guest

    Chris, Jan 15, 2004
  8. According to Peter Hofman <>:
    > Nice would be a tree-view part, displaying the folder tree with
    > files, and an EXIF part, displaying the EXIF info in multiple columns.

    You can almost get this with XP itself, if you have it. If you view your
    folder tree in Explorer, just switch to Details view and turn on the extra
    columns (View, Choose Details...). XP can pull out most of the useful EXIF
    data and show it in the normal file listings.

    --
    eth'nT
    http://www.hydrous.net
    Ethan Trewhitt, Jan 15, 2004