    I looked at DBs used for collections of DVDs, Videos, etc but most are hardwired
    for their intended purpose.
    I just need a few fields that can be searched and hopefully printed.

    Doug_Sanders, Feb 16, 2004

  2. Doug_Sanders

    °Mike° Guest

    Have you considered Open Office?
    http://www.openoffice.org/

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:14:33 GMT, in
    <>
    Doug_Sanders scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 16, 2004

  3. Doug_Sanders

    DC Guest

    °Mike° wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:14:33 GMT, in
    > <>
    > Doug_Sanders scrawled:

    >>I would like to keep a database of articles in a wide variety of magazines I
    >>subscribe to.
    >>I can find DB programs for everything but magazines.
    >>Is the a simple and free DB program that will allow me to use it for this
    >>purpose.
    >>I looked at DBs used for collections of DVDs, Videos, etc but most are hardwired
    >>for their intended purpose.
    >>I just need a few fields that can be searched and hopefully printed.

    > Have you considered Open Office?
    > http://www.openoffice.org/

    OOo doesn't do DB, °Mike°.

    --
    DC Registered Linux User #1000111011000111001

    DC, Feb 16, 2004
  4. Doug_Sanders

    JWooden271 Guest

    It does a spreadsheet though. WHich may be just as good in his case.

    JWooden271, Feb 16, 2004
  5. Doug_Sanders

    °Mike° Guest

    On 16 Feb 2004 18:26:42 GMT, in
    <>
    DC scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:14:33 GMT, in
    >> <>
    >> Doug_Sanders scrawled:

    >>>I would like to keep a database of articles in a wide variety of magazines I
    >>>subscribe to.
    >>>I can find DB programs for everything but magazines.
    >>>Is the a simple and free DB program that will allow me to use it for this
    >>>purpose.
    >>>I looked at DBs used for collections of DVDs, Videos, etc but most are hardwired
    >>>for their intended purpose.
    >>>I just need a few fields that can be searched and hopefully printed.

    >> Have you considered Open Office?
    >> http://www.openoffice.org/

    >OOo doesn't do DB, °Mike°.

    8.1. Is there database support in OpenOffice.org?
    http://www.bytebot.net/openoffice/faq.html#Database0

    "Yes, there most certainly is! There are several useful resources
    that will help you get going:
    OpenOffice.org DBA Project - The official site, with useful FAQs
    and HOWTO guides to set you on the right track.
    OpenOffice.org, unixODBC and MySQL - a great guide, tailored
    to Red Hat 9 mainly, but excellent when it comes to OOo
    integration with MySQL. Comes with screenshots too!"

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 16, 2004
  6. Doug_Sanders wrote:

    > I would like to keep a database of articles in a wide variety of magazines I
    > subscribe to.
    > I can find DB programs for everything but magazines.
    > Is the a simple and free DB program that will allow me to use it for this
    > purpose.
    > I looked at DBs used for collections of DVDs, Videos, etc but most are hardwired
    > for their intended purpose.
    > I just need a few fields that can be searched and hopefully printed.

    Google for thingventory. IIRC, you can roll your own, with that. And
    yes, it's a database, not a lame spreadsheet workaround.

    (Also IIRC, it comes with some prebuilt templates, but you don't have to use
    them.)

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org