    * robust
    * I plan to spend between $100 and $400

    Thanks in advance for advising me.

    Castor Nageur, Aug 1, 2011

  2. Castor Nageur

    RichA Guest

    On Aug 1, 5:59 pm, Castor Nageur <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I would to get some advices from you about digital cameras for filming
    > children.
    >
    > Here are the features I am looking for:
    >
    > * the camera must start as quick as possible
    > * I want it to make some high quality videos (not HD, just HQ)
    > * I don't care about the number of pixels and I am even interested in some
    > old end-of-series models (which are usually cheaper)
    > * light and compact so it can fit in my pockets
    > * robust
    > * I plan to spend between $100 and $400
    >
    > Thanks in advance for advising me.

    Panasonic G2 can now be had for about $350.00 on discount.

    RichA, Aug 3, 2011

  3. Castor Nageur

    Irwell Guest

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2011 10:03:28 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:

    > On Aug 1, 5:59 pm, Castor Nageur <> wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I would to get some advices from you about digital cameras for filming
    >> children.
    >>
    >> Here are the features I am looking for:
    >>
    >> * the camera must start as quick as possible
    >> * I want it to make some high quality videos (not HD, just HQ)
    >> * I don't care about the number of pixels and I am even interested in some
    >> old end-of-series models (which are usually cheaper)
    >> * light and compact so it can fit in my pockets
    >> * robust
    >> * I plan to spend between $100 and $400
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for advising me.

    > Panasonic G2 can now be had for about $350.00 on discount.

    The Panasonic G2 is a bit too big to fit in a pocket,
    otherwise a good buy, depending on the lens that it comes with.

    Irwell, Aug 3, 2011
  4. Castor Nageur

    DanP Guest

    Most current compacts will do.
    You are spoiled for choice.

    DanP

    DanP, Aug 4, 2011
  5. Castor Nageur

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 01/08/2011 22:59, Castor Nageur wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I would to get some advices from you about digital cameras for filming
    > children.
    >
    > Here are the features I am looking for:
    >
    > * the camera must start as quick as possible
    > * I want it to make some high quality videos (not HD, just HQ)
    > * I don't care about the number of pixels and I am even interested in some
    > old end-of-series models (which are usually cheaper)
    > * light and compact so it can fit in my pockets
    > * robust
    > * I plan to spend between $100 and $400
    >
    > Thanks in advance for advising me.

    Is low light an issue? If so choose something with a fast lens.

    One thing that often isn't mentioned is that these small still cameras
    when acting as a video recorder tend to have abnormally brutal automatic
    gain control on the audio channel (and so prone to wind noise and
    cocktail party syndrome in a crowd). And be sure that you can handle it
    well enough to take steady video with it. I find physically very small
    cameras are harder to keep still than full size gear. YMMV

    Ixus are hard to beat in terms of pocketability and taking reasonable
    video at 720p. I would not consider anything less than 720p at this
    stage in the game HD is the way forward and 4:3 screens will get rarer.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Aug 4, 2011