Looking for a photo tool to combine multiple pictures to 4x6 size print

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nospam.photo@none.com, Jan 22, 2008.

  1. Guest

    What's a good easy to use photo editing tool that would allow me to
    combine 4-6 photos to one 4x6 photo for printing?

    What I am looking for is a power-point like interface. I cut/paste
    pictures, and resize them by dragging its outlines. Then overlay other
    pictures partially on top of this one. I can use powerpoint when I am
    printing the picture myself, but when I export the file to tiff/png,
    the resolution is too small for sending to photo services.

    I am sure you can do this in photoshop, and I have tried, but it's
    unbelievably frustrating to do so. One of my photoshop expert friend
    told me to create an empty canvas of the correct size (300xpi x 4 x
    6), and resize each picture I want to the correct dimension (requres
    manual calculation), and paste the pictures. But I can't figure out a
    good way to resize the image after I paste it to the blank image. I
    can't drag and resize the pasted image. Yes I am probably missing
    something so please tell me if I am doing this the hard way.

    My photoshop foo is weak. There must be an easier to use tool that
    does this than photoshop. I also have ACDSee and Picasa, and I tried
    Qimage (another difficult to use tool).

    I am sure I am not the first one to do this, so please help me out. My
    wife is nagging me for a while, and being a computer guy I feel silly
    that I can't do this in just a few minutes.

    Anyway, thanks in advance!

    Raymond
    , Jan 22, 2008

  2. John Navas Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:47:56 +0000 (UTC), wrote in
    <fn5kps$1f4u$>:

    >What's a good easy to use photo editing tool that would allow me to
    >combine 4-6 photos to one 4x6 photo for printing?
    >
    >What I am looking for is a power-point like interface. I cut/paste
    >pictures, and resize them by dragging its outlines. Then overlay other
    >pictures partially on top of this one. I can use powerpoint when I am
    >printing the picture myself, but when I export the file to tiff/png,
    >the resolution is too small for sending to photo services.
    >
    >I am sure you can do this in photoshop, and I have tried, but it's
    >unbelievably frustrating to do so. One of my photoshop expert friend
    >told me to create an empty canvas of the correct size (300xpi x 4 x
    >6), and resize each picture I want to the correct dimension (requres
    >manual calculation), and paste the pictures. But I can't figure out a
    >good way to resize the image after I paste it to the blank image. I
    >can't drag and resize the pasted image. Yes I am probably missing
    >something so please tell me if I am doing this the hard way.
    >
    >My photoshop foo is weak. There must be an easier to use tool that
    >does this than photoshop. I also have ACDSee and Picasa, and I tried
    >Qimage (another difficult to use tool).
    >
    >I am sure I am not the first one to do this, so please help me out. My
    >wife is nagging me for a while, and being a computer guy I feel silly
    >that I can't do this in just a few minutes.

    What's your problem with Qimage? What you're trying to do is its forte.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Jan 22, 2008

  3. nospam Guest

    In article <fn5kps$1f4u$>, <>
    wrote:

    > I am sure you can do this in photoshop, and I have tried, but it's
    > unbelievably frustrating to do so. One of my photoshop expert friend
    > told me to create an empty canvas of the correct size (300xpi x 4 x
    > 6), and resize each picture I want to the correct dimension (requres
    > manual calculation), and paste the pictures. But I can't figure out a
    > good way to resize the image after I paste it to the blank image.

    in the edit menu, pick one of the various transform options. free
    transform will let you resize, rotate and move in any combination. if
    you want a specific change (such as scale only), then one of the other
    transforms might be a better choice. use the shift key to constrain
    the aspect ratio, rotate angle, or move direction.

    > I can't drag and resize the pasted image.

    pasting images will put each one in its own layer. select the desired
    layer and use the move tool (topmost tool in cs3, or top right in the
    old style toolbar and cs2 and earlier) and drag to wherever you want.
    nospam, Jan 22, 2008
  4. Paul Furman Guest

    Re: Looking for a photo tool to combine multiple pictures to 4x6size print

    wrote:
    > What's a good easy to use photo editing tool that would allow me to
    > combine 4-6 photos to one 4x6 photo for printing?
    >
    > What I am looking for is a power-point like interface. I cut/paste
    > pictures, and resize them by dragging its outlines. Then overlay other
    > pictures partially on top of this one. I can use powerpoint when I am
    > printing the picture myself, but when I export the file to tiff/png,
    > the resolution is too small for sending to photo services.
    >
    > I am sure you can do this in photoshop, and I have tried, but it's
    > unbelievably frustrating to do so.

    Control+T puts the pasted layer in transform mode. With the arrow tool,
    move it around and control-click the corners to resize while maintaining
    aspect ratio.

    Paul Furman, Jan 22, 2008
  5. John Navas Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:08:41 -0800, nospam <> wrote
    in <220120081308414674%>:

    >In article <fn5kps$1f4u$>, <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> I am sure you can do this in photoshop, and I have tried, but it's
    >> unbelievably frustrating to do so. One of my photoshop expert friend
    >> told me to create an empty canvas of the correct size (300xpi x 4 x
    >> 6), and resize each picture I want to the correct dimension (requres
    >> manual calculation), and paste the pictures. But I can't figure out a
    >> good way to resize the image after I paste it to the blank image.

    >in the edit menu, pick one of the various transform options. free
    >transform will let you resize, rotate and move in any combination. if
    >you want a specific change (such as scale only), then one of the other
    >transforms might be a better choice. use the shift key to constrain
    >the aspect ratio, rotate angle, or move direction.

    But not crop, unfortunately.

    John Navas, Jan 22, 2008
  6. Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:47:56 +0000 (UTC), in rec.photo.digital
    wrote:

    >What's a good easy to use photo editing tool that would allow me to
    >combine 4-6 photos to one 4x6 photo for printing?

    What exactly mean by this? Are you just trying to print multiples photos on
    a 4x6 page? Do you want to be able to change position and/or orientation?
    Do you want to change size/ crop, etc?
    , Jan 22, 2008
  7. Guest

    Paul Furman <> wrote:

    > > What I am looking for is a power-point like interface. I cut/paste
    > > pictures, and resize them by dragging its outlines. Then overlay other
    > > pictures partially on top of this one. I can use powerpoint when I am
    > > printing the picture myself, but when I export the file to tiff/png,
    > > the resolution is too small for sending to photo services.
    > >
    > > I am sure you can do this in photoshop, and I have tried, but it's
    > > unbelievably frustrating to do so.

    > Control+T puts the pasted layer in transform mode. With the arrow tool,
    > move it around and control-click the corners to resize while maintaining
    > aspect ratio.

    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Sounds like I should give
    photoshop another try. Last time I got stuck trying to resize the
    pasted image..

    Raymond
    , Jan 22, 2008
  8. Paul Furman Guest

    nospam wrote:

    > use the shift key to constrain
    > the aspect ratio, rotate angle, or move direction.

    Oops, I said control... both have interesting results. Experiment.
    Paul Furman, Jan 22, 2008
  9. On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:47:56 +0000 (UTC), <> wrote:

    > What's a good easy to use photo editing tool that would allow me to
    > combine 4-6 photos to one 4x6 photo for printing?
    >
    > What I am looking for is a power-point like interface. I cut/paste
    > pictures, and resize them by dragging its outlines. Then overlay other
    > pictures partially on top of this one. I can use powerpoint when I am
    > printing the picture myself, but when I export the file to tiff/png,
    > the resolution is too small for sending to photo services.

    At least in the Mac version of Powerpoint, there's a setting in the
    preferences that will let you up the resolution of bitmap exports (in PP
    2004, it's in the Save tab of the Preferences pane). I'd imagine that
    the Windows version has something similar.

    Powerpoint may not be the best tool for the job (see some of the other
    the job.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Jan 23, 2008
  10. John Navas Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 00:20:46 GMT, Daniel Silevitch
    <> wrote in
    <.2wire.net>:

    >On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:47:56 +0000 (UTC), <> wrote:
    >>
    >> What's a good easy to use photo editing tool that would allow me to
    >> combine 4-6 photos to one 4x6 photo for printing?
    >>
    >> What I am looking for is a power-point like interface. I cut/paste
    >> pictures, and resize them by dragging its outlines. Then overlay other
    >> pictures partially on top of this one. I can use powerpoint when I am
    >> printing the picture myself, but when I export the file to tiff/png,
    >> the resolution is too small for sending to photo services.

    >At least in the Mac version of Powerpoint, there's a setting in the
    >preferences that will let you up the resolution of bitmap exports (in PP
    >2004, it's in the Save tab of the Preferences pane). I'd imagine that
    >the Windows version has something similar.
    >
    >Powerpoint may not be the best tool for the job (see some of the other
    >the job.

    PowerPoint does a wretched job of resizing images. I can think of no
    "better" way to get a mediocre quality print.

    John Navas, Jan 23, 2008