    'large' (aprox 2" X 4") labels that is not thermal.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks

    Jack B. Pollack, Jul 22, 2004

  2. Jack B. Pollack

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Jack B. Pollack" <> wrote in message
    news:1090456822.354692@aragorn
    >| I am currently using the Seiko Smart Label Printer 240 to print 2"
    >| X 4" labels. The problem is that it is a thermal printer and the
    >| text fades in sun light within a few months (these labels are being
    >| put on taxi cab meters and are constantly exposed to sun light).
    >|
    >| I am looking for a label printer (single label at a time) that will
    >| print 'large' (aprox 2" X 4") labels that is not thermal.
    >|
    >| Anyone have any ideas?
    >|
    >| Thanks

    Nope. But you could consider thermal transfer ribbons in some of the other
    thermal type printers. We do that at work for our old Zebra printers - the
    ribbon is wax-based ink and it melts onto the paper. I can do direct thermal
    too, which is okay for our stock inside the boxes - but the boxes have to be
    thermal transfer.

    Another idea, depending on how many labels you have to print, you can do
    nice laser labels in 8-1/2 x 11 sheets. Avery makes some nice "weatherproof"
    labels now. But of course, you have to format the label layout in say, MS
    Word or something like that. Word has templates for Avery labels but I
    prefer Lotus Word Pro for this kind of thing. We do time cards for the plant
    employees that way, since they are done in very small batches.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jul 22, 2004

  3. Thanks. I going to call Zebra in the morning.

    Jack B. Pollack, Jul 22, 2004
  4. Jack B. Pollack

    doS Guest

    You need weatherproof ink Tim, the stock wont matter that much as far as
    fading....

    doS, Jul 22, 2004
  5. Jack B. Pollack

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Laser printers don't use ink ;o) nor do the thermal transfer labels -
    the ink is permanently melted onto the label stock.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 22, 2004
  6. Jack B. Pollack

    doS Guest

    dong!!!!! duh me...crawls off in corner ;-)

    doS, Jul 22, 2004
  7. Jack B. Pollack

    doS Guest

    the ribbon is wax-based ink ?

    doS, Jul 22, 2004
  8. Jack B. Pollack

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Sort of - it's real ink, in a wax base, so the wax melts by the thermal
    printhead, sticking nicely to the paper. The plastic ribbon remains behind.
    The same technology is used in some plain-paper faxes - our Panasonic at
    work, for example, uses that.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 22, 2004
  9. Jack B. Pollack

    doS Guest

    "Laser printers don't use ink ;o) nor do the thermal transfer labels -
    the ink is permanently melted onto the label stock."

    So they do use ink....

    doS, Jul 22, 2004
  10. Jack B. Pollack

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Okay - ya got me there <g>! But it isn't ink in the same format that most
    printers use. Nor is it water soluable, so it's good for almost all uses.
    It's even possible to get label stock that is weatherproof.

    "doS" <> wrote in message
    >| "Laser printers don't use ink ;o) nor do the thermal transfer labels
    >| - the ink is permanently melted onto the label stock."
    >|
    >| So they do use ink....
    >|

    >| "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >| > Sort of - it's real ink, in a wax base, so the wax melts by the
    >| > thermal printhead, sticking nicely to the paper. The plastic
    >| > ribbon remains
    >| behind.
    >| > The same technology is used in some plain-paper faxes - our
    >| > Panasonic at work, for example, uses that.
    >| >
    >| > "doS" <> wrote in message
    >| > >|

    <snipped>

    Toolman Tim, Jul 22, 2004
  11. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Okay - ya got me there <g>! But it isn't ink in the same format that most
    > printers use. Nor is it water soluable, so it's good for almost all uses.
    > It's even possible to get label stock that is weatherproof.

    Stick to your guns -- it's pigmented wax.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    New Pieces of Shakespeare Manuscript Found Near Salt Lake City USA
    Sorry - penguins only: http://snipurl.com/scolius (at blinkynet)

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 22, 2004
  12. Jack B. Pollack

    WormWood Guest

    We use a similar process at work for heart monitoring. A thermal stylus
    passes over a specially treated paper tape to show the monitor tracing
    in the so familiar up/down pattern. <3

    > Sort of - it's real ink, in a wax base, so the wax melts by the

    thermal
    > printhead, sticking nicely to the paper. The plastic ribbon remains

    behind.
    > The same technology is used in some plain-paper faxes - our Panasonic

    at
    > work, for example, uses that.
    >
    > "doS" <> wrote in message
    > >| the ribbon is wax-based ink ?
    > >|
    > >| "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    message

    WormWood, Jul 22, 2004
  13. Jack B. Pollack

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "WormWood" <jojo@..com-de-com.com> wrote in message
    >| We use a similar process at work for heart monitoring. A thermal
    >| stylus passes over a specially treated paper tape to show the
    >| monitor tracing in the so familiar up/down pattern. <3

    VERY cool! No worry about the pens running out of ink.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 23, 2004
  14. Jack B. Pollack

    WormWood Guest

    > "WormWood" <jojo@..com-de-com.com> wrote in message
    > >| We use a similar process at work for heart monitoring. A thermal
    > >| stylus passes over a specially treated paper tape to show the
    > >| monitor tracing in the so familiar up/down pattern. <3
    > >|

    > VERY cool! No worry about the pens running out of ink.

    Now, if someone could find a tape that doesn't have to be replaced
    daily, frequently more often, *That* would be cool.

    WormWood, Jul 23, 2004
  15. Jack B. Pollack

    pablito

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    I've been looking for some kind of printer that can create something that could work as a rub-on transfer and wonder if these thermal wax printers would work if printed on something slick like a transparency sheet. There are ways of creating decals on printers but I don't want that since I would be using the rub-on impression as a resist. I've heard about people transferring ordinary toner to pc boards but that won't work for me since I'm not transferring the print to flat surfaces.

    pablito, Oct 3, 2012