    on either of them?

    Thanks
    Nick
    NickD, Sep 6, 2006

  2. NickD

    [BnH] Guest

    Fuji F30 :)

    [BnH], Sep 6, 2006

  3. NickD

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 23:44:32 +1000, "[BnH]" trying to be helpful and
    a princea of a guy wrote:

    >> Any others I should be considering in that kind of size? Any feedback
    >> on either of them?

    > Fuji F30 :)

    Charlie the Tuna tells me that Nick would rather have a "light
    weight" than a "low light" camera. <g>
    ASAAR, Sep 6, 2006
  4. NickD

    NickD Guest

    > >> Any others I should be considering in that kind of size? Any feedback
    > >> on either of them?

    > > Fuji F30 :)

    > Charlie the Tuna tells me that Nick would rather have a "light
    > weight" than a "low light" camera. <g>

    Had previously considered the Fuji Z2/3 - I'm quite taken by internal
    zoom lenses. Having said that, I've read less than stellar reviews
    about it, so crossed it off.

    It seems that the real ultracompacts (Fuji Z, Sony T etc) are a
    tradeoff between what I'd regard as fairly reasonable points -
    low-light performance, noise, narrow-angle lens and so on. The Xt was
    pretty good in all of those. Perhaps I should be looking to move up a
    size to the compact Canon SD/ Fuji F/ Panasonic FX kind of size.
    NickD, Sep 6, 2006
  5. NickD

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "NickD" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > My Minolta Xt's battery is gradually dying, and I'm thinking of using
    > it as an excuse to replace it. Unfortunately, KonicaMinolta seem to
    > have lost the plot somewhat in ultracompacts, so I'm looking at the
    > Panasonic FX01 and Sony T9.

    I've got the FX01, and it's real nice. Fast focus, great lens, and a real
    wide angle zoom. Wonderful travel camera! It's small, light, nicely designed
    and suitable for 1 handed operation, uses standard SD cards, has great
    battery life, starts and stops quickly, has a very nice LCD screen, and the
    menu system is very good. The scene modes can be useful, as well. No
    complaints at all.

    Kinon O'Cann, Sep 6, 2006
  6. NickD

    Frank ess Guest

    NickD wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > My Minolta Xt's battery is gradually dying, and I'm thinking of
    > using
    > it as an excuse to replace it. Unfortunately, KonicaMinolta seem to
    > have lost the plot somewhat in ultracompacts, so I'm looking at the
    > Panasonic FX01 and Sony T9.
    >
    > Any others I should be considering in that kind of size? Any
    > feedback
    > on either of them?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Nick

    Nickon S6?
    Frank ess, Sep 6, 2006
  7. NickD

    Susan P Guest

    On 06 Sep 2006, NickD <> wrote:

    >> > Fuji F30 :)

    >> Charlie the Tuna tells me that Nick would rather have a "light
    >> weight" than a "low light" camera. <g>

    > Had previously considered the Fuji Z2/3 - I'm quite taken by
    > internal zoom lenses. Having said that, I've read less than stellar
    > reviews about it, so crossed it off.

    The Nikon S5 (see link below) has the same kind of of internal zoom
    lens.

    > It seems that the real ultracompacts (Fuji Z, Sony T etc) are a
    > tradeoff between what I'd regard as fairly reasonable points -
    > low-light performance, noise, narrow-angle lens and so on. The Xt
    > was pretty good in all of those. Perhaps I should be looking to
    > move up a size to the compact Canon SD/ Fuji F/ Panasonic FX kind
    > of size.

    See http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html and scroll to
    "Ultra Compact - Pocketable"

    The Casio Exilim EX-S600 is well-priced.

    Canon Powershot SD's are good but not as cheap.
    Sony Cybershot are even less cheap.
    Susan P, Sep 6, 2006
  8. It is alleged that NickD claimed:

    > My Minolta Xt's battery is gradually dying, and I'm thinking of using
    > it as an excuse to replace it. Unfortunately, KonicaMinolta seem to
    > have lost the plot somewhat in ultracompacts, so I'm looking at the
    > Panasonic FX01 and Sony T9.
    >
    > Any others I should be considering in that kind of size? Any feedback
    > on either of them?

    Sony, Casio, Nikon. My previous three digicams, two of which are still
    functional, are Sonys, one of which is an ultracompact (DSC-U30). The
    primary reason why I replaced it in use is because I wanted to use SD
    memory instead of MemoryStick, so I can use my PDA as a viewer. I got
    a Casio EX-Z500 (which is almost discontinued). I like it even better
    than my Sonys.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #30.
    All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly
    thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will
    surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic
    relief.
    Jeffrey Kaplan, Sep 7, 2006
  9. NickD

    Guest

    Just make sure you can GRIP and USE any ultracompact camera before
    buying! You may well find it's so small for even a woman to adequately
    grip or maneuver controls on.

    , Sep 7, 2006
  10. NickD

    NickD Guest

    wrote:
    > Just make sure you can GRIP and USE any ultracompact camera before
    > buying! You may well find it's so small for even a woman to adequately
    > grip or maneuver controls on.
    >
    > No $4 to park! No $6 admission! http://www.INTERNET-GUN-SHOW.com

    Thanks guys (and girls?). Read a couple of reviews of the Nikon - looks
    good. I may well go for that - the Sony T9 is good, but I can't be
    bothered messing around with Memory Sticks.

    Nick
    NickD, Sep 7, 2006
  11. NickD

    Guest Guest

    Phone or PDA that has a camera is you want really subcompact.

    Guest, Sep 7, 2006
  12. NickD

    Guest

    NickD wrote:
    > Thanks guys (and girls?). Read a couple of reviews of the Nikon - looks
    > good. I may well go for that - the Sony T9 is good, but I can't be
    > bothered messing around with Memory Sticks.

    There's an adapter out that full-service camera stores can order
    that lets you use ordinary CF cards in - at least some - Sony digicams
    using memory sticks. The one I use in a larger Sony digicam is by
    Microtech.

    , Sep 9, 2006
  13. It is alleged that claimed:

    > NickD wrote:
    > > Thanks guys (and girls?). Read a couple of reviews of the Nikon - looks
    > > good. I may well go for that - the Sony T9 is good, but I can't be
    > > bothered messing around with Memory Sticks.

    > There's an adapter out that full-service camera stores can order
    > that lets you use ordinary CF cards in - at least some - Sony digicams
    > using memory sticks. The one I use in a larger Sony digicam is by

    How? Wouldn't the adapter stick out like a sore thumb, getting in the
    way of doing things like closing the access door? The CF is physically
    larger than a MS.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #225.
    I will explain to my guards that most people have their eyes in the
    front of their heads and thus while searching for someone it makes
    little sense to draw a weapon and slowly back down the hallway.
    Jeffrey Kaplan, Sep 9, 2006
  14. NickD

    Guest

    NickD ha scritto:

    Any feedback
    > on either of them?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Nick

    See this tests, at 400 asa:

    Sony T9
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/T9/FULLRES/T9INI400.HTM

    Casio Z750
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/Z750/FULLRES/Z750INI400.HTM

    Canon SD550
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/SD550/FULLRES/SD55INI400.HTM

    Panasonic FX9
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FX9/FULLRES/FX9INI400.HTM

    Nikon S5
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CPS5/FULLRES/CPS5INI400.HTM

    See the differences,.Imho,Canon have a best imagine .
    Ciaooo
    , Sep 9, 2006
  15. NickD

    Guest

    Jeffrey Kaplan quoted me:
    > > There's an adapter out that full-service camera stores can order
    > > that lets you use ordinary CF cards in - at least some - Sony digicams
    > > using memory sticks. The one I use in a larger Sony digicam is by

    and replied:
    > How? Wouldn't the adapter stick out like a sore thumb, getting in the
    > way of doing things like closing the access door? The CF is physically
    > larger than a MS.

    It works fine on Sony's prosumer DSC-D770. Of course, that's not a
    pocket digicam!

    , Sep 11, 2006
  16. It is alleged that claimed:

    > Jeffrey Kaplan quoted me:
    > > > There's an adapter out that full-service camera stores can order
    > > > that lets you use ordinary CF cards in - at least some - Sony digicams
    > > > using memory sticks. The one I use in a larger Sony digicam is by

    > and replied:
    > > How? Wouldn't the adapter stick out like a sore thumb, getting in the
    > > way of doing things like closing the access door? The CF is physically
    > > larger than a MS.

    > It works fine on Sony's prosumer DSC-D770. Of course, that's not a
    > pocket digicam!

    I have one of those (broken, due to a drop to a hard surface). It has
    a PCMCIA slot, not an MS slot. It came with a PCMCIA card with a MS
    slot in the card - a PCMCIA-to-MS adapter. What you are talking about
    looks to me to go the other way around, an adapter that plugs into an
    MS slot so you can use a CF card.

    Since the SF card is physically bigger than the MS card, it simply
    cannot fit entirely in the slot, or indeed in the camera. It would
    perforce have to stick out, where it would be seriously in the way.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "The Superior Person's Book Of Words", by Peter Bowler: BAVARDAGE:
    Foolish or empty chatter. Attracts the adjective 'mere,' in
    contradistinction to words such as 'balderdash' or 'poppycock,' which
    attract the adjective 'absolute.'
    Jeffrey Kaplan, Sep 11, 2006
  17. NickD

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:17:12 -0400, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

    > I have one of those (broken, due to a drop to a hard surface). It has
    > a PCMCIA slot, not an MS slot. It came with a PCMCIA card with a MS
    > slot in the card - a PCMCIA-to-MS adapter. What you are talking about
    > looks to me to go the other way around, an adapter that plugs into an
    > MS slot so you can use a CF card.
    >
    > Since the SF card is physically bigger than the MS card, it simply
    > cannot fit entirely in the slot, or indeed in the camera. It would
    > perforce have to stick out, where it would be seriously in the way.

    I recall some CF cards that were made larger than standard, and in
    operation stuck well outside the device they were plugged into. But
    those were I/O peripherals, intended to be used in PDAs. To work in
    a camera would be a problem based on size alone, since most cameras
    shut down if the memory card door is open. Maybe this MS to CF
    adapter could work if the card door was hacked a bit. :)
    ASAAR, Sep 11, 2006