    so. Thank you in advance for your help!

    Susumu

    , Jan 20, 2006

  2. Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a miniature camera that can focus on an object between
    > 0.5" to 1.0" from the camera. Would anyone know if such a setup is
    > available, or know of a way to construct one with some type of
    > miniature macro lens of some sort? I've come across many miniature
    > cameras but they all seem to have a focus range of greater than 6" or
    > so. Thank you in advance for your help!

    Take a look at the FijiFilm F440 or F450

    I have an F440 and it'll focus down to about 4cm (1.5 inches) covering
    an area approx 6cm x 4cm

    All the cameras are 7.5 x 6.5cm and about 2cm deep.

    Take a look for yourself at http://www.dpreview.com/

    Stewy, Jan 21, 2006

  3. juli Guest

    juli, Jan 21, 2006
  4. juli Guest

    I have a camera that will focus down to 1 cm. I have used it to do a
    feature article for Corel. It is a Ricoh RDC-2E. It is old and only
    768x576 but it takes excellent photos close up. I don't know if you
    could find one now but if you really want one I might sell you mine.

    juli, Jan 21, 2006
  5. juli wrote on 20 Jan 2006 19:26:30 -0800:

    j> I have a camera that will focus down to 1 cm. I have used it
    j> to do a feature article for Corel. It is a Ricoh RDC-2E. It
    j> is old and only 768x576 but it takes excellent photos close
    j> up. I don't know if you could find one now but if you really
    j> want one I might sell you mine.

    I know you are asking for 2.5 cm and my Nikon 3200 will not
    quite do it but 4 cm is not bad.

    James Silverton.

    James Silverton, Jan 21, 2006
  6. jimbok Guest

    On 20 Jan 2006 14:57:27 -0800, wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm looking for a miniature camera that can focus on an object between
    >0.5" to 1.0" from the camera.

    Pentax Optio 30 is a small low cost - less than $150 - 3mp, with 3x
    zoom that will focus, in macro mode, to 0.7".
    Takes very good regular pics, too. : )
    Fuji S-7000 will focus to 0.4" in macro mode, but is close to an SLR
    in size.

    --
    jimbok

    jimbok, Jan 21, 2006
  7. wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a miniature camera that can focus on an object between
    > 0.5" to 1.0" from the camera. Would anyone know if such a setup is
    > available, or know of a way to construct one with some type of
    > miniature macro lens of some sort? I've come across many miniature
    > cameras but they all seem to have a focus range of greater than 6" or
    > so. Thank you in advance for your help!
    >
    > Susumu

    The Canon S2 IS will reportedly focus down to 0cm, i.e. to an object
    sitting on the front of the lens.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/

    [Cross-posting trimmed]

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 21, 2006
  8. Rick S. Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm looking for a miniature camera that can focus on an object between
    > > 0.5" to 1.0" from the camera. Would anyone know if such a setup is
    > > available, or know of a way to construct one with some type of
    > > miniature macro lens of some sort? I've come across many miniature
    > > cameras but they all seem to have a focus range of greater than 6" or
    > > so. Thank you in advance for your help!
    > >
    > > Susumu

    > The Canon S2 IS will reportedly focus down to 0cm, i.e. to an object
    > sitting on the front of the lens.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/

    We have one and yes it's true. It's called "super macro" mode.

    Rick S., Jan 21, 2006
  9. Prometheus Guest

    In article <>,
    writes
    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm looking for a miniature camera that can focus on an object between
    >0.5" to 1.0" from the camera. Would anyone know if such a setup is
    >available, or know of a way to construct one with some type of
    >miniature macro lens of some sort? I've come across many miniature
    >cameras but they all seem to have a focus range of greater than 6" or
    >so. Thank you in advance for your help!

    Are you unable to get more than 1" from the subject? The reason I ask is
    that it is usually the magnification (area covered) that is more
    important, since many ultra-close focus P&S cameras are very wide angle
    in the 'macro' mode they cover a larger area than normal mode at its
    closest focus. I have a Minolta Xt which gives 1:7 at 15cm with slight
    barrel distortion, a friend has a Nikon 8800 which gives 1:7 at 3cm with
    significant barrel distortion; he has now bought some 'close-up' lenses
    so that he can use the telephoto end to cover a similar or smaller area
    at a greater distance with less distortion. You might experiment with a
    miniature camera with the strongest +ve (and cheapest) eyepiece
    correction lens you can find.

    --
    Ian G8ILZ

    Prometheus, Jan 21, 2006
  10. Cliff Wild Guest

    Rick S. wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
    > wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking for a miniature camera that can focus on an object
    >>> between
    >>> 0.5" to 1.0" from the camera. Would anyone know if such a setup is
    >>> available, or know of a way to construct one with some type of
    >>> miniature macro lens of some sort? I've come across many miniature
    >>> cameras but they all seem to have a focus range of greater than 6"
    >>> or so. Thank you in advance for your help!
    >>>
    >>> Susumu

    >> The Canon S2 IS will reportedly focus down to 0cm, i.e. to an object
    >> sitting on the front of the lens.
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/

    > We have one and yes it's true. It's called "super macro" mode.

    Is that a 'miniature camera'?

    Cliff Wild, Jan 21, 2006
  11. Peter Guest

    Why is this always put in terms of close focus. Surely the requirement is
    magnification (however this might be defined or measured now) or minimum
    subject size? This used to be the case with film cameras.

    Peter

    Peter, Jan 21, 2006
  12. Bill Funk Guest

    On 20 Jan 2006 14:57:27 -0800, wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm looking for a miniature camera that can focus on an object between
    >0.5" to 1.0" from the camera. Would anyone know if such a setup is
    >available, or know of a way to construct one with some type of
    >miniature macro lens of some sort? I've come across many miniature
    >cameras but they all seem to have a focus range of greater than 6" or
    >so. Thank you in advance for your help!
    >
    >Susumu

    You will probably get much better responses by not being so coy.
    What's your definition of "miniature"?
    What is it you're trying to do?
    Help us help you.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Jan 21, 2006
  13. zeitgeist Guest

    When I was a kid, a 'miniature' camera was any roll film camera smaller than
    a 4x5 speed graphic, so all those medium format rollies, yashicas and
    hasselblads were in the same bracket as 35mm.

    Any camera with a filter thread on front will let you screw in some close up
    filters to let you get dang close to the subject. Many point and shoots
    will let you put an adapter over the lens to let you use filters and
    auxillary lenses. I have done so with a canon G2 digital P&S.

    For higher quality there are macro lenses with extention tubes or bellows
    that will get you close. and/or a special adapter ring that will let you
    reverse your lens for super close focus. Yes it is very strange to have
    your lens mounted backwards on the camera but it works.

    And finally there are microscope adapters that will let you mount your
    camera bod to the microscope if you would like to see microbes.

    zeitgeist, Jan 22, 2006
  14. Harada Guest

    Thank you everyone for your replies. I apologize for my original query
    being a bit vague and not containing enough information about exactly
    for what purpose I was looking for this camera setup.

    I am trying to prototype a portable, pen-shaped scanner that can be
    used to scan in words on a printed page, similar in functionality to
    the InfoScan pen from WizCom Technologies (http://www.wizcomtech.com/).
    The setup should be such that it can focus on the text with the camera
    being held as close as 1 inch from the text, preferably even as close
    as 0.5 inches. I need the camera to be digital and be able to stream
    the captured frames at a reasonable rate (> 10 frames per second) so
    that I can apply my image processing algorithm on the incoming stream
    to process the text. The image doesn't have to be in color, but
    preferably be able to transmit its images wirelessly and with a
    relatively small power supply (e.g. a 9V battery).

    Given these requirements, it seemed natural for me to look into the
    miniature spy cameras. I found the FingerCam
    (http://www.pimall.com/nais/fingercam.html), but it supposedly can
    focus only up to 6 inches or so. This got me wondering if it's
    possible to get some kind of a lens attachment or other clever
    contraptions to get it to focus at a closer range. I am not very
    knowledgeable about optics or photography, so please excuse my
    ignorance.

    Thank you again for your assistance.

    Susumu

    Harada, Jan 22, 2006