    worth the money? Are just plain dvd recorders a better investment? What
    are the best brands to get? I hear that Sony's are horrible. Please, I
    need as many suggestions as possible. Thanks!
    wildchild79, Jan 23, 2005

  2. wildchild79

    Jon Purkey Guest

    On 23 Jan 2005 00:50:40 -0800, "wildchild79" <>
    wrote:

    >My double deck vcr is starting to go.. I need something new. I need
    >something quick..but i need something good. I was looking at a dvd
    >recorder/vcr combo, so i can record both ways and if needed to record
    >from vhs to vhs , i can hook up my old machine to the new one. Are they
    >worth the money? Are just plain dvd recorders a better investment? What
    >are the best brands to get? I hear that Sony's are horrible. Please, I
    >need as many suggestions as possible. Thanks!

    Some say it is risky having a combo unit, since if one part breaks you
    need to replace both. However, I like having a combo unit. I have
    limited space and I needed a new VCR anyway. I also have a lot of
    tapes I want to put on DVD so it was the best choice for me. It makes
    it very easy to copy tapes and I get cleaner starts than I could ever
    get trying to juggle two remotes. Plus onscreen text from the VCR
    (PLAY, PAUSE, etc.) gets suppressed when dubbing.

    I have the Panasonic VCR/DVD recorder (E75) and have been happy with.
    I don't know if it is the best as I have not tried other brands, but
    the DVD recorder does have features not found in the other combo
    units, like simultaneous record and play and chase playback. Both are
    great for time shift recording and chase playback can also be used to
    pause live TV, rewind, etc.

    There is also a flexible recording mode that will record a program or
    copy a tape to DVD so it will just fit on the disc at the best
    possible quality. For example, a 2 hour 5 min tape can be copied at
    near 2 hour (SP) quality instead of at a lower quality such as the 4
    hour (LP) mode.

    You can record two shows at once (one to DVD, other to VCR), but can
    only do one tuner (channel ##) recording at a time (so at least one
    recording has to be made from A/V or s-video inputs) and you can only
    do one timer recording at a time, so at least one recording has to be
    started manually if recording to VCR and DVD at the same time.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)
    Jon Purkey, Jan 23, 2005

  3. wildchild79

    wildchild79 Guest

    ok, i will look into this. Though I am confused as to what you mean
    about recording 2 at shows at once, but only one tuner at a time. Does
    this mean i can record from FOX and from MTV at the same time, for
    example?
    Also, is there a block on copyrighted material?Thanks!

    wildchild79, Jan 23, 2005
  4. wildchild79

    Jon Purkey Guest

    On 23 Jan 2005 10:38:10 -0800, "wildchild79" <>
    wrote:

    >ok, i will look into this. Though I am confused as to what you mean
    >about recording 2 at shows at once, but only one tuner at a time. Does
    >this mean i can record from FOX and from MTV at the same time, for
    >example?

    There is only 1 tuner for tuning to channel ##. You can't record
    channel #5-FOX and channel #50-MTV at the same time using the
    Panasonic VCR/DVD recorder to tune both channels.

    You can however record channel #5-FOX and use a cable or satellite box
    to tune MTV and output it by A/V to the VCR/DVDR. You could then make
    that recording from L1 to DVD while recording channel 5 to the VCR.

    Of course, if you have satellite or digital cable you are probably
    stuck with recording one channel at a time anyway unless you have a
    good OTA antenna.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)
    Jon Purkey, Jan 23, 2005