    Any suggestions?

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jun 14, 2007

  2. thingy

    XPD Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I seem to be wearing out mice...(and keyboards).....kinda concerned that so
    >far in 2~3 months the things are packing up...I was going to look at a
    >gaming mouse but at $100+ this is looking like a bad idea....
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Ive got a Logitech G5 which Im damn happy with.... had it for almost a year.
    Theres a newer version of it available now as well which is all glossy I
    think compared to the one I have which has a copper look to it.
    XPD, Jun 14, 2007

  3. thingy

    El Chippy Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:41:15 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > I seem to be wearing out mice...(and keyboards).....kinda concerned that
    > so far in 2~3 months the things are packing up...I was going to look
    > at a gaming mouse but at $100+ this is looking like a bad idea....
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Consumer Guarantees Act, not fit for purpose. If a mouse or keyboard dies
    after 3 months it was a POS and not fit for purpose. Get your money back
    and try another brand.
    El Chippy, Jun 14, 2007
  4. El Chippy wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:41:15 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >
    >> I seem to be wearing out mice...(and keyboards).....kinda concerned that
    >> so far in 2~3 months the things are packing up...I was going to look
    >> at a gaming mouse but at $100+ this is looking like a bad idea....
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>

    > Consumer Guarantees Act, not fit for purpose. If a mouse or keyboard dies
    > after 3 months it was a POS and not fit for purpose. Get your money back
    > and try another brand.

    You are kidding right?
    Andrew Lambert, Jun 15, 2007
  5. thingy

    XPD Guest

    "El Chippy" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:41:15 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >
    >> I seem to be wearing out mice...(and keyboards).....kinda concerned that
    >> so far in 2~3 months the things are packing up...I was going to look
    >> at a gaming mouse but at $100+ this is looking like a bad idea....
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>

    > Consumer Guarantees Act, not fit for purpose. If a mouse or keyboard dies
    > after 3 months it was a POS and not fit for purpose. Get your money back
    > and try another brand.

    Umm.. dont think it would work...

    Buy X brand mouse thats not labelled for gaming and it breaks while playing
    a game..... since it wasnt labelled for gaming, then youd lose out.....
    XPD, Jun 15, 2007
  6. thingy

    El Chippy Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:40:23 +1200, Andrew Lambert wrote:

    > El Chippy wrote:
    >>>

    >> Consumer Guarantees Act, not fit for purpose. If a mouse or keyboard
    >> dies after 3 months it was a POS and not fit for purpose. Get your
    >> money back and try another brand.

    > You are kidding right?

    Not at all, I expect any peripheral I buy to last a minimum of a year. I
    haven't yet had to replace a keyboard or mouse in under two years except
    in case of a spilt drink or damaged cables. If you let manufacturers get
    away with producing shit they will keep on doing it.

    My current wireless mouse is almost three years old and is just starting
    to fail (double clicks instead of single clicks sometimes). The paint has
    worn off, the rechargeable battries have been replaced but it still works.

    even for a heavy gamer (which i'm not) i would expect 6 months from a
    mouse. unless you use a hammer to push the buttons?
    El Chippy, Jun 15, 2007
  7. thingy

    Shane Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > "El Chippy" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:41:15 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>> I seem to be wearing out mice...(and keyboards).....kinda concerned that
    >>> so far in 2~3 months the things are packing up...I was going to look
    >>> at a gaming mouse but at $100+ this is looking like a bad idea....
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>

    >> Consumer Guarantees Act, not fit for purpose. If a mouse or keyboard dies
    >> after 3 months it was a POS and not fit for purpose. Get your money back
    >> and try another brand.

    > Umm.. dont think it would work...
    >
    > Buy X brand mouse thats not labelled for gaming and it breaks while
    > playing
    > a game..... since it wasnt labelled for gaming, then youd lose out.....

    Id agree with your XPD, unless the mouse/keyboard was sold as fit for the
    purpose of gaming, then the CGA shouldnt apply.
    Of course given Rogers success in such matters, where I wouldnt have
    expected such success, Roger would really be the one to ask.

    --
    Q: What's yellow, normed, and complete?
    A: A Bananach space.
    Shane, Jun 15, 2007
  8. thingy

    Rob S Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > I seem to be wearing out mice...(and keyboards).....kinda concerned that
    > so far in 2~3 months the things are packing up...I was going to look at
    > a gaming mouse but at $100+ this is looking like a bad idea....
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    What are you doing to them that they only last that long? My MS (1)
    wireless multimedia 1.0A kb & mouse have been going strong for 18 months
    and I'm at my pc from wake to sleep (lcd on a swingarm by my electric
    lazyboy). Just have to vacuum the kb once in a while.

    (1) Only Microsoft product in use.

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    Calm down -- it's only ones and zeroes.
    Rob S, Jun 15, 2007
  9. thingy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "El Chippy" <> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:41:15 +1200, thingy wrote:
    > >
    > > > I seem to be wearing out mice...(and keyboards).....kinda
    > > > concerned that so far in 2~3 months the things are packing
    > > > up...I was going to look at a gaming mouse but at $100+ this is
    > > > looking like a bad idea....
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestions?
    > > >

    > > Consumer Guarantees Act, not fit for purpose. If a mouse or
    > > keyboard dies after 3 months it was a POS and not fit for purpose.
    > > Get your money back and try another brand.

    > Umm.. dont think it would work...
    >
    > Buy X brand mouse thats not labelled for gaming and it breaks while
    > playing a game..... since it wasnt labelled for gaming, then youd
    > lose out.....

    Since when was gaming not simply using a computer? As a lot of computer
    users play games I'd say it's fair use. The only way out of that little
    worm-hole would be to have it prominently labeled (on the outside of the
    packaging) as _not_ being suitable for gaming.

    I tell ya, if I had a mouse fail in under 6 months through use, I'd sure as
    hell get it replaced under the CGA if it didn't have a warranty.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jun 15, 2007
  10. thingy

    jack Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:41:15 +1200, thingy <> wrote:

    >I seem to be wearing out mice...(and keyboards).....kinda concerned that
    > so far in 2~3 months the things are packing up...I was going to look
    >at a gaming mouse but at $100+ this is looking like a bad idea....
    >
    >Any suggestions?
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    Pay for Junk ket Junk.
    jack, Jun 15, 2007
  11. thingy

    Jerry Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "El Chippy" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:41:15 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>> I seem to be wearing out mice...(and keyboards).....kinda concerned that
    >>> so far in 2~3 months the things are packing up...I was going to look
    >>> at a gaming mouse but at $100+ this is looking like a bad idea....
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>

    >> Consumer Guarantees Act, not fit for purpose. If a mouse or keyboard dies
    >> after 3 months it was a POS and not fit for purpose. Get your money back
    >> and try another brand.

    > Umm.. dont think it would work...
    >
    > Buy X brand mouse thats not labelled for gaming and it breaks while playing
    > a game..... since it wasnt labelled for gaming, then youd lose out.....

    Gaming is just moving a cursor and clicking it. If it broke in a
    spreadsheet would the warranty be void because it wasn't sold as
    specifically fit for spreadsheeting?
    Jerry, Jun 15, 2007
  12. In article <>, y says...

    > I seem to be wearing out mice...(and keyboards).....kinda concerned that
    > so far in 2~3 months the things are packing up...I was going to look
    > at a gaming mouse but at $100+ this is looking like a bad idea....
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    You have me scratching my head. I am a heavy gamer plus all the other stuff I
    do on the computer, and my Logitech cordless desktop has held up for some 4+
    years. The keyboard is still good, I wore away some of the rubber on the mouse
    and it started missing and sucking batteries dry quickly so I replaced that.

    The new mouse is a Logitech G7 cordless. I have some doubt about those lithium
    rechargables, they only seem to last for ~8 hours of use after 5 months. The
    mouse looks as good as the day it came out of the box in January. Since I have
    two batteries and the charger/receiver is plugged into the usb hub on the
    monitor it's not really a big issue though.

    Do you let your dog have a go after you knock off for the day?

    Anyway, I can heartily recommend the quality of Logitech mice. Get a corded G5
    if you want to circumvent all battery issues ...

    cheers, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jun 15, 2007
  13. thingy

    jack Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:34:54 +1200, Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    >In article <>, y says...
    >>
    >> I seem to be wearing out mice...(and keyboards).....kinda concerned that
    >> so far in 2~3 months the things are packing up...I was going to look
    >> at a gaming mouse but at $100+ this is looking like a bad idea....
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    >You have me scratching my head. I am a heavy gamer plus all the other stuff I
    >do on the computer, and my Logitech cordless desktop has held up for some 4+
    >years. The keyboard is still good, I wore away some of the rubber on the mouse
    >and it started missing and sucking batteries dry quickly so I replaced that.
    >
    >The new mouse is a Logitech G7 cordless. I have some doubt about those lithium
    >rechargables, they only seem to last for ~8 hours of use after 5 months. The
    >mouse looks as good as the day it came out of the box in January. Since I have
    >two batteries and the charger/receiver is plugged into the usb hub on the
    >monitor it's not really a big issue though.
    >
    >Do you let your dog have a go after you knock off for the day?
    >
    >Anyway, I can heartily recommend the quality of Logitech mice. Get a corded G5
    >if you want to circumvent all battery issues ...
    >
    >cheers, -Peter

    I have one no back button, go for the older model with the back button and I think there is a new
    one with it..
    jack, Jun 15, 2007
  14. thingy

    Jasen Guest

    On 2007-06-15, XPD <> wrote:

    > "El Chippy" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:41:15 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>> I seem to be wearing out mice...(and keyboards).....kinda concerned that
    >>> so far in 2~3 months the things are packing up...I was going to look
    >>> at a gaming mouse but at $100+ this is looking like a bad idea....
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>

    >> Consumer Guarantees Act, not fit for purpose. If a mouse or keyboard dies
    >> after 3 months it was a POS and not fit for purpose. Get your money back
    >> and try another brand.

    > Umm.. dont think it would work...
    >
    > Buy X brand mouse thats not labelled for gaming and it breaks while playing
    > a game..... since it wasnt labelled for gaming, then youd lose out.....

    how can they tell?

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen, Jun 15, 2007
  15. thingy

    XPD Guest

    "jack" <> wrote in message

    > I have one no back button, go for the older model with the back button and
    > I think there is a new
    > one with it..

    There are 2 models of the G5 - the original copper one has 2 buttons, one
    scroll which tilts and acts as a 3rd button, and a thumb button.
    The newer one has 2 thumb buttons.

    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/359&cl=nz,en
    XPD, Jun 15, 2007
  16. thingy <> wrote:

    > I seem to be wearing out mice...(and keyboards).....kinda concerned that
    > so far in 2~3 months the things are packing up...I was going to look
    > at a gaming mouse but at $100+ this is looking like a bad idea....
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I'm loving my MS Habu which is made my Razer. It's a great shape, the
    buttons have just the right click and the weight of the mouse is good. A
    great replacement for my Intellimouse Optical.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jun 16, 2007
  17. El Chippy <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:40:23 +1200, Andrew Lambert wrote:
    >
    > > El Chippy wrote:
    > >>>

    > >> Consumer Guarantees Act, not fit for purpose. If a mouse or keyboard
    > >> dies after 3 months it was a POS and not fit for purpose. Get your
    > >> money back and try another brand.

    > > You are kidding right?

    > Not at all, I expect any peripheral I buy to last a minimum of a year. I
    > haven't yet had to replace a keyboard or mouse in under two years except
    > in case of a spilt drink or damaged cables. If you let manufacturers get
    > away with producing shit they will keep on doing it.
    >
    > My current wireless mouse is almost three years old and is just starting
    > to fail (double clicks instead of single clicks sometimes). The paint has
    > worn off, the rechargeable battries have been replaced but it still works.
    >
    > even for a heavy gamer (which i'm not) i would expect 6 months from a
    > mouse. unless you use a hammer to push the buttons?

    My MS Intellimouse Optical is still going strong after six years, though
    it's now on a secondary Mac as I've my new MS Habu. I'd have been
    extremely unhappy if it had died in less than a year! Realistically I
    expect the average mouse to last at least two years. I have slightly
    lower expectations for KBs, but I'd never put up with one dying after
    only three months :-( That is absurd.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jun 16, 2007
  18. In message <>, Peter Huebner
    wrote:

    > Anyway, I can heartily recommend the quality of Logitech mice.

    I was given a Logitech Dual Optical by Atomic MPC magazine a few years ago.
    That started developing button trouble.

    Currently I have a Logitech G5, also an old Wacom Graphire
    tablet+stylus+mouse which has never given me any trouble.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 16, 2007
  19. thingy

    jack Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:56:51 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Peter Huebner
    >wrote:
    >
    >> Anyway, I can heartily recommend the quality of Logitech mice.

    >I was given a Logitech Dual Optical by Atomic MPC magazine a few years ago.
    >That started developing button trouble.
    >
    >Currently I have a Logitech G5, also an old Wacom Graphire
    >tablet+stylus+mouse which has never given me any trouble.

    I have one of the very first MS ones (Explorer) and that also works 100%, after being replace some
    weeks after I brought it by the Brett Roberts, Microsoft here, as some of the very firsts ones had
    button problems..
    jack, Jun 16, 2007
  20. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Andrew Lambert wrote:
    > El Chippy wrote:
    >> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:41:15 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>> I seem to be wearing out mice...(and keyboards).....kinda concerned that
    >>> so far in 2~3 months the things are packing up...I was going to look
    >>> at a gaming mouse but at $100+ this is looking like a bad idea....
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>

    >> Consumer Guarantees Act, not fit for purpose. If a mouse or keyboard
    >> dies after 3 months it was a POS and not fit for purpose. Get your
    >> money back and try another brand.

    > You are kidding right?

    No, I do not see why, especially if you buy a "gaming" mouse....if you
    pay 4 or 5 times the cost of a std mouse ($125+), I would expect 2 years
    as a reasonable length of life....not 3 months.

    Apart from that any item should last a reasonable length of time...the
    k-board is old so no biggee (however it is the gaming buttons that have
    gone) but the mouse is effectively a few months old....(it was a spare
    in a laptop bag).

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jun 19, 2007