    so far I haven't been able to find any. Are there any?

    Thanks for any help!
    David

    dh@., Aug 13, 2007

  2. dh@.

    Guest Guest

    <dh@.> wrote in message news:...
    > I would like to be able to enter a cash amount, and then another,
    > and another...to a program that will keep a balance of the total,
    > and then be able to save it as say "tools". I'd like to later be able
    > to open it and add more to it. I'd also like to be able to open a
    > new one and call it maybe "materials", and be able to enter a
    > cash amount, and then another, etc...and later re-open it and
    > add more to it... It seems like there should be a number of free
    > downloadable programs that will do a simple thing like that, but
    > so far I haven't been able to find any. Are there any?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    > David

    Did your computer come with Microsoft Office? If so, you
    should have a program called Excel. It's geared to do exactly
    what you want. You can create a single spreadsheet and
    have each of your lists (tools, etc) as separate pages on this
    spreadsheet.

    If your computer doesn't have Excel, lots of free alternatives
    are out there, e.g. search Google for "Open Office".

    Guest, Aug 13, 2007

  3. dh@.

    Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > <dh@.> wrote in message news:...
    >> I would like to be able to enter a cash amount, and then another,
    >> and another...to a program that will keep a balance of the total,
    >> and then be able to save it as say "tools". I'd like to later be able
    >> to open it and add more to it. I'd also like to be able to open a
    >> new one and call it maybe "materials", and be able to enter a
    >> cash amount, and then another, etc...and later re-open it and
    >> add more to it... It seems like there should be a number of free
    >> downloadable programs that will do a simple thing like that, but
    >> so far I haven't been able to find any. Are there any?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help!
    >> David

    > Did your computer come with Microsoft Office? If so, you
    > should have a program called Excel. It's geared to do exactly
    > what you want. You can create a single spreadsheet and
    > have each of your lists (tools, etc) as separate pages on this
    > spreadsheet.
    >
    > If your computer doesn't have Excel, lots of free alternatives
    > are out there, e.g. search Google for "Open Office".

    OpenOffice is here. A 93MB download for the Windows version, which
    would take a while if you are using dialup networking (probably
    more than four hours).

    http://download.openoffice.org/2.2.1/index.html?focus=download

    The "calc" program in the OpenOffice suite, is what does the
    calculating. The window that opens is a "spreadsheet". You put
    the numbers you want to add, into the "cells".

    http://www.openoffice.org/product/calc.html

    This is what the "calc" program looks like.

    http://www.openoffice.org/product/pix/calc-big.png

    There are manuals for the "calc" program on this page, but important
    chapters haven't been written yet.

    http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/index.html

    Instead, try this "Introduction to Excel", as the programs should work
    in a similar way. Summing a series of numbers is on PDF page 12.

    http://oit.wvu.edu/training/classmat/xl/excel1.pdf

    Yes, it is complicated :) It is a very powerful tool.
    Some people take a course, to learn how to use it properly.
    There are books on Excel at your bookstore.

    When you put your numbers in the "calc" window, you save the
    results in a file. One file could be called "tools". Another
    file could be called "materials". You can organize the files,
    just like with a filing cabinet. And like any powerful tools,
    there are good ways and bad ways to use them. Which is why a
    course tries to teach the good ways.

    If you have a copy of Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Office
    on your computer already, then you don't need to download
    OpenOffice. OpenOffice is if you want the capabilities,
    but don't want to pay any money :)

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 13, 2007